Castlevania: LOI for PS2, $7.98 at TRU

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Just saw this today, LOI was tagged with a reduced price sticker @ 9.99 but it rang up at only $7.98 at Toys R Us. In case anyone didn't get this yet, its hard to pass up for $8!! :shame:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
damn

my tru is shit

they dont have any "old" new games like this. just new releases and the worst selection of pc games.

loi is really fun, so everyone should pick it up.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
chimpmeister said:
Just saw this today, LOI was tagged with a reduced price sticker @ 9.99 but it rang up at only $7.98 at Toys R Us. In case anyone didn't get this yet, its hard to pass up for $8!! :shame:

Good 3D CV game, not great but good. Worth it for 8 bucks fo sho.

One of the few PS2 games I've beaten. Traded it off and have no desire to play thru it again but... worth a one and done deal. Too easy though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
TonK said:
I wouldnt pay $8 for it.
Agree. Blech. I'd rather play any other CV game, and that includes the N64 games and the old black and white Gameboy games.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I know LOI doesn't measure up to the other classic Castlevania games, but who can honestly even LOOK at the N64 versions? The graphics are blurry, ugly, and all around hideous looking, whereas at least most of the graphics in LOI are FAR more palatable (other than the repetitive levels). LOI got a 7.7 at Gamespot, not great but not terrible either, and for $8 it is more than worth it IMO. As for the N64 versions, not sure I'd even pay $5 for any one of those, they are so damned ugly . . . :annoyed:

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Castlevania 64 > Castlevania: LOI

I can't say that the 2nd N64 CV is any good though. :annoyed:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I'd say LOI's worth it for the music. Same composer as SOTN, and some really great tunes are in the game. The fighting in the game is actually pretty fun, just kinda repetitive. The level design is what hurts the most.

$8 isn't bad for it. If they can include some actual PLATFORMING next time, perhaps a sequel may be worthwhile. At least we're getting the real-deal-holyfield on the DS.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
chimpmeister said:
I know LOI doesn't measure up to the other classic Castlevania games, but who can honestly even LOOK at the N64 versions? The graphics are blurry, ugly, and all around hideous looking, whereas at least most of the graphics in LOI are FAR more palatable (other than the repetitive levels). LOI got a 7.7 at Gamespot, not great but not terrible either, and for $8 it is more than worth it IMO. As for the N64 versions, not sure I'd even pay $5 for any one of those, they are so damned ugly . . . :annoyed:

LOI graphics > SOTN graphics, so does that make it better?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
TonK said:
LOI graphics > SOTN graphics, so does that make it better?

No, but the N64 Castlevania games are so freaking ugly that I can't bear to even look at them . . . they are that bad (hideously blurry textures/backgrounds, blocky stupid looking characters). As I said, LOI may not measure up to the rest of the Castlevania games, but it isn't horrible either . . . and graphically has some great stuff (creature design etc.). And the music is outstanding. Levels are admittedly repetitive and should have been better done, and this game has less "things" to collect, but overall it isn't that bad.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
And the music is outstanding. Levels are admittedly repetitive and should have been better done, and this game has less "things" to collect, but overall it isn't that bad.

N64 Castlevania has outstanding OST.
It indeed has blurry graphics but so do many PSOne games, right?

I think you just hate everything that relates to Nintendo

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
No, but the N64 Castlevania games are so freaking ugly that I can't bear to even look at them . . . they are that bad (hideously blurry textures/backgrounds, blocky stupid looking characters).
The N64 games play a LOT closer to real Castlevania games than LoI. They also have a pretty engaging story with interesting characters, which I felt LoI lacked. I thought the level design and design of the castle itself, as far as layout, was better (not to mention, much less repetetive) in the N64 games. Blurry? That's a given on N64, so either you can deal with it or you can't.

But it's a matter of taste; you don't have to like them. It's your loss.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Liquid Snake said:
N64 Castlevania has outstanding OST.
It indeed has blurry graphics but so do many PSOne games, right?

I think you just hate everything that relates to Nintendo

Actually, Symphony of the Night looks 1000% better than either of the two N64 ones. This is because SOTN is 2D and not 3D, whereas the N64 ones feature the typical poor blurry textures and blocky 3D graphics characteristic of that console. I'll take SOTN over the N64 ones anyday, and its not because I "hate everything that relates to Nintendo"; had they just done the Castlevanias in 2D on the N64, they would certainly have looked a LOT better. As it is, they are ugly as sin and an affront to the series.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
chimpmeister said:
Actually, Symphony of the Night looks 1000% better than either of the two N64 ones. This is because SOTN is 2D and not 3D, whereas the N64 ones feature the typical poor blurry textures and blocky 3D graphics characteristic of that console. I'll take SOTN over the N64 ones anyday, and its not because I "hate everything that relates to Nintendo"; had they just done the Castlevanias in 2D on the N64, they would certainly have looked a LOT better. As it is, they are ugly as sin and an affront to the series.

And you actually think Belmont May Cry..errr... LOI should be classified as a CV title?

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
N64 better then the PS2 version, you have got to be kidding me. Both 64 versions played terribly. Trying to hit those candles was a pain, and I love the music to the first level, your footsteps. "STEP - STEP - STEP - STEP- CRACK". Plus the gameplay in 3-D was laughable at best. LOI is much better then the N64 games. The N64 games weren't even made by the same part of Konami that did the originals or SOTN. In the end LOI played much better, looked better, and had a better soundtrack to boot with better gameplay.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
N64 better then the PS2 version, you have got to be kidding me. Both 64 versions played terribly. Trying to hit those candles was a pain, and I love the music to the first level, your footsteps. "STEP - STEP - STEP - STEP- CRACK". Plus the gameplay in 3-D was laughable at best. LOI is much better then the N64 games. The N64 games weren't even made by the same part of Konami that did the originals or SOTN. In the end LOI played much better, looked better, and had a better soundtrack to boot with better gameplay.

You must be kidding me

N64 Castlevania (both) games are great and excellent.
Only complaint I have is the camera angle in few occasions will make it difficult to judge the direction and distance.

Other than that I have no problem. Excellent music and gameplay :)

Hey, I'm an old-time Castlevania fan and I know what I'm talking about :cool:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Liquid Snake said:
You must be kidding me

N64 Castlevania (both) games are great and excellent.
Only complaint I have is the camera angle in few occasions will make it difficult to judge the direction and distance.

Other than that I have no problem. Excellent music and gameplay :)

Hey, I'm an old-time Castlevania fan and I know what I'm talking about :cool:

Well, so am I. Castlevania was my game back on the NES and I loved the series. SOTN was the high point in the series, but the 64 version just looked like crap even when it first came out. I wasn't amazed by the graphics, only shocked in horror. Even back then you looked at the terrible polygon models of characters and levels and were pretty much in tears.

Also, what kind of a name is Reinhardt Schneider. It always sounded like the ex member of Rammstien. He's not a real Belmont and it didn't feel right.

I don't know how you played through that game as the controls were awful. Trying to have any form of smoothness and finess was near impossible. The music was decent at best, but nothing compared to SOTN or even LOI. Not only is the quality better, but the arrangement is much better too.

Hey, if you like the N64 games, more power to you, I just can't put myself through another gut wrenching second of that crap. I had them at one time and sold them about a month later to just get some money back before the games went down to pennies. They aren't part of the series for me. I mean if your a fan of Castlevania, then you would want the games made by the same folks who always made them. The team that did the N64 games did those, then another terrible GBA game. That's not the Konami I want making CV games.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
graphic whore crap
When did Castlevania become a repetitious beat 'em up (as opposed to a fun beat 'em up), as in LoI? Is that what Castlevania is to you? Walk around in the same hallways for 5 hours, comboing monsters? wtf? Great music? Yeah, it was. Polished graphics? Yep. But it wasn't Castlevania.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
I don't know how you played through that game as the controls were awful. Trying to have any form of smoothness and finess was near impossible. The music was decent at best, but nothing compared to SOTN or even LOI. Not only is the quality better, but the arrangement is much better too.

It plays perfect on me :)

I've been playing N64 Castlevania for three times and everything is fine (I haven't finished the game yet) except for some camera angles.

I like the JPN cover art...........very cool.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
SouthtownKid said:
When did Castlevania become a repetitious beat 'em up (as opposed to a fun beat 'em up), as in LoI? Is that what Castlevania is to you? Walk around in the same hallways for 5 hours, comboing monsters? wtf? Great music? Yeah, it was. Polished graphics? Yep. But it wasn't Castlevania.

What's with sticking to me on one point. I brought up other viable points, yet you bring this out as if I'm the moron who thinks it looks like crap. Friend, it looked like crap then and it still does. I wasn't wowed by what the N64 could do, it just looked like decent 3-D. 2-D still looked good then and if you slap in copy of Guardian Heroes, you'll say, "Wow, this looks good". It doesn't age as fast and is timeless.

Repetitious beat em up you say? Of course enemies reappear in rooms once you go out of them. It was the same way in old Castlevanias and it happened in SOTN. What did you expect? Yea, comboing monster into very nice combos and changing it up with magic or the different stones was crap. Just becuase you put "wtf?" after a sentence doesn't make your point anymore valid. The sky is blue? WTF? See, it doesn't change the facts. Comboing mosters was very fun and something that the N64 CV lacked, FUN.

LOI was more a CV the the N64 crap could ever dream to be. Different teams developing the game, worse gameplay for the 64, terrible graphics (for even that time), and not even a Belmont. That's your kind of Castlevania?