Brothers in Arms is coming to the Wii and DS (I can finally say what I am working on)

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Hurrah, I can finally reveal what I am working on! I am working on the Wii port of Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill and Earned in Blood also know as Brothers in Arms: Double Time Here is the press release:

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/index.php?p=pr&pr=20

If you have questions in this thread the only I can answer are Wii related hardware questions. I can say nothing about the game, that hasn't been already said in the press release.

So go get hyped, hopefully it will be the best FPS on the Wii until Metroid Prime, buy it this fall, and pay my bonus :p

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Big Shady said:
Hurrah, I can finally reveal what I am working on! I am working on the Wii port of Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill and Earned in Blood also know as Brothers in Arms: Double Time Here is the press release:

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/index.php?p=pr&pr=20

If you have questions in this thread the only I can answer are Wii related hardware questions. I can say nothing about the game, that hasn't been already said in the press release.

So go get hyped, hopefully it will be the best FPS on the Wii until Metroid Prime, buy it this fall, and pay my bonus :p

Sweet man. Hope it turns out great! The last FPS that I really liked was CoD 2 on Xbox 360. That game was fun as hell, and I don't play FPSs that much. If this turns out to be a really great one though I'd be glad to help you get a bonus.:)

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Can we ask what aspect of the game you worked on?

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Can we ask what aspect of the game you worked on?
QA and Tools Development. The tools I write are for QA automation, so I get QA/Tools in one swoop. I've done a little design work, but nothing major.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Were you not just poopooing the Wii a few days ago or was that merely a ruse?

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Rade Kuruc said:
Were you not just poopooing the Wii a few days ago or was that merely a ruse?
Development wise, yes. Its been a tough road.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Well this is a quality franchise, so I hope it turns out good on the Wii. The FPS on the Wii so far have been very sub par IMO. (For the most part I just stick with the 360 for FPS)

The Wii could really use a quality FPS. Since I am sure it is not on-line, I hope they were smart enough to put in a four player split screen mode. I still can't believe COD3 for the Wii was single player only.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Big Shady said:

Is the Wii the type of system companies make young developers cut their teeth on while the more experienced lot focus on PS3/X360?

In very basic, layman language, what is so hard about the Wii? I thought it was based on the GCN, which has been around for 50 years now. Is it programming the controller functions??

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
I know you said you can't answer much about the game. But at least tell me if the crosshair will be fixed at the center of the screen or not. Having to move your arm/crosshair to the edge of the screen to turn is what killed Red Steel for me.
I hope the game turns out good. I played and enjoyed the first one alot.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
You should ask one of the developers to put a NEO GEO logo on one of the soldiers helmets. :buttrock:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Big Shady said:
I really can't say that I'm too surprised. I also imagine it's the controller aspect that's a bitch and a half to work with?

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Rade Kuruc said:
Is the Wii the type of system companies make young developers cut their teeth on while the more experienced lot focus on PS3/X360?

In very basic, layman language, what is so hard about the Wii? I thought it was based on the GCN, which has been around for 50 years now. Is it programming the controller functions??
Well, problem one, BiA is using a previous engine that was written for the PC/Xbox. Secondly the Wii has no hardware shaders. So what does this mean? A game written for hardware shaders, now has to have all its shader's written in software. So a good amount of time is spent in assembly to speed up the rendering. Also the Wii is not a fan of C++, it prefers C. So the STL and most templates are out of the question. Also doesn't help that codewarrior is a hunk of crap.

Programming the controller isn't that bad. There are alot of tools out there to help with that. Motion sensing technology has been around for awhile, so there are a good number of proven algorithms out there to handle it.

A real kicker, from a tools perspective, no debug output/log on the test kits. So when the game locks/crashes, you just throw up blue screen of death.

Also, I've been spoiled on the 360, where everything is streamlined.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Mr.Nemoperson said:
I know you said you can't answer much about the game. But at least tell me if the crosshair will be fixed at the center of the screen or not. Having to move your arm/crosshair to the edge of the screen to turn is what killed Red Steel for me.
I hope the game turns out good. I played and enjoyed the first one alot.
Sorry, no comment.

Rade K

20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
You should ask one of the developers to put a NEO GEO logo on one of the soldiers helmets. :buttrock:

Seconded

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Hahaha, that would be a nice easter egg. Of course SNK Playmore might bring the hammer down :p

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Big Shady said:
Hahaha, that would be a nice easter egg. Of course SNK Playmore might bring the hammer down :p

What if some of the Soldiers had some of usernames? Can you actually make that type of decision?

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
Anything you can tell me about Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway? It's been almost a year since the last news update about it on IGN.com When is more info going to be released, if you can find out? I want new screens and videos!

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
The Drizzle said:
Anything you can tell me about Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway? It's been almost a year since the last news update about it on IGN.com When is more info going to be released, if you can find out? I want new screens and videos!
No, no info on Hell's Highway.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
recon_zero said:
No Hardware shaders? That sounds troublesome
Yeah, I knew the Wii wasn't a graphics powerhouse, but WTF? Hasn't this been around since the GeForce 3 or so?