Blast City Club

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
YO! I need some help figuring out what the deal is with my joystick, it's making me question everything I believe! I've always hated Sanwa joysticks to the point that I find the Madcatz sticks nearly unusable, they're so soft and seem to have a massive dead zone. I've always used Seimitsu sticks because of this, they feel way better.

In that vein, when the stick cdamm sent on my blast felt immediately fantastic (same tightness, but an even smaller dead zone than my Seimitsus) I immediately cracked open the hood to see what it was.

It's a Sanwa. :-O

Anyone want to help me identify this magic stick? Is it just a JLF with a tighter spring and I've been missing out this whole time because I was being all snooty about Seimitsu?

I'm wanting to know so I can nab some of these for my 2p panel when I pick one up.

And don't worry I already replaced that nasty loom with a shiny new one from lemony.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Looks stock to me bruh. Maybe it has a tighter spring or maybe you've only played on really worn in JLFs?

I dont generally like JLF's, but find them bearable with an LS-55 spring.

Seimitsu Posse For Lyfe

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Agreed looks like all my Sanwa JLFs. And yes new sticks feel better then worn sticks. I just got a pair of silent JLFs but I haven't had a chance to give them a play through yet to see if the springs are any different.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Some pictures after applying these convergence strips, so happy with the result now :D

final.jpgIMG_20150213_194608.jpgIMG_20150213_215056.jpgIMG_20150213_215130.jpguntitled.pngIMG_20150213_215134.jpgIMG_20150213_215139.jpgIMG_20150213_215243.jpgIMG_20150213_215247.jpgIMG_20150213_215252.jpgIMG_20150213_215255.jpgIMG_20150213_215303.jpg

And this is how the tube looks now :D

principo.jpg

Still a bit needs to be improved, but it is more than enough how it looks now to me :D
A happy end!! :D

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Looks stock to me bruh. Maybe it has a tighter spring or maybe you've only played on really worn in JLFs?

I dont generally like JLF's, but find them bearable with an LS-55 spring.

Seimitsu Posse For Lyfe

The spring at least must be different, I have a brand new JLF I'm comparing it to and it's night and day. I guess I could buy some replacement springs and compare them.

Some pictures after applying these convergence strips, so happy with the result now :D

So awesome! Where did you get your strips at? I am most definitely in need!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That's some nice convergence. I have this issue with the horizontal width just doesn't quite make it to the edges of the tube, even when maxed out. This is only in 31k mode. Do these strips help this?

Last edited:

Westcb

That's some nice convergence. I have this issue with the horizontal width just doesn't quite make it to the edges of the tube, even when maxed out. This is only in 31k mode. Do these strips help this?

No they don't help width. Which chassis do you have in yours? In the 2931 I believe if you go into the factory menu you can expand width further beyond the default max (not the regular adjust menu). I never had to adjust it on a 2930 but there should be a way to kick it up. If there's not a max width jumper on the chassis you could change out the width cap I have done that on some other monitors.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
I got the strips from the US, since I am in Europe decided to order 2 packs just in case I needed some extra for friends etc:

http://www.endgamearcade.com/catalog/item/8853528/9991752.htm

I was just thinking... are these strips used only for corner convergence, or do they also resolve mid screen horiz convergence? Reason for asking is that I had some, but no matter where I put the strip on, this particular part of the screen did not seem to be affected (you can see it in Ryu's shadow on AoF2 screenshot, it has a slight red coloring under it. It is not visible in all games, only in some, looks like depending on the surrounding colours it is more or less visible, sometimes you cant even see it).
I am not going to take out the monitor again to fix it :D but just curious, maybe I just did not get the right point to put the strip in.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
That doesn’t necessarily sound like a convergence issue, but rather a cranked Red gain pot. You want to check convergence in a test grid screen.
i could be wrong, but worth looking into.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
No they don't help width. Which chassis do you have in yours? In the 2931 I believe if you go into the factory menu you can expand width further beyond the default max (not the regular adjust menu). I never had to adjust it on a 2930 but there should be a way to kick it up. If there's not a max width jumper on the chassis you could change out the width cap I have done that on some other monitors.

I think there is a jumper but it only affects 15k mode IIRC. and also there isn't a width coil on the ms2930.

Wes, do you which cap exactly on the ms2930 is use to adjust max width ?

Westcb

I think there is a jumper but it only affects 15k mode IIRC. and also there isn't a width coil on the ms2930.

Wes, do you which cap exactly on the ms2930 is use to adjust max width ?

I do not know which one, it was a big fatty on polo and wells monitors, we would have to find a English schematic but I'm sure we can find it. Is yours Jacked up? I saw some posts on AO that mentioned a pot on the chassis on the side labeled 31k that upped the width for them. My 2930 goes much wider then I need it too so I haven't messed with that chassis much. The rest of mine are all 2931s and also go wider then I need it. I did adjust out the B+ on one last night and got much better color as a result. It was looking a little washed no matter how much I played with color pots, brightness, contrast, and screen on the chassis.

Westcb

I got the strips from the US, since I am in Europe decided to order 2 packs just in case I needed some extra for friends etc:

http://www.endgamearcade.com/catalog/item/8853528/9991752.htm

I was just thinking... are these strips used only for corner convergence, or do they also resolve mid screen horiz convergence? Reason for asking is that I had some, but no matter where I put the strip on, this particular part of the screen did not seem to be affected (you can see it in Ryu's shadow on AoF2 screenshot, it has a slight red coloring under it. It is not visible in all games, only in some, looks like depending on the surrounding colours it is more or less visible, sometimes you cant even see it).
I am not going to take out the monitor again to fix it :D but just curious, maybe I just did not get the right point to put the strip in.

Yeah I cleaned them out on strips last night as he said he wouldn't be making these anymore for awhile as its too time consuming and I still have more monitors to fix. If one of you guys are in a pinch and can't find them elsewhere though I'll send you one of the packs for what I paid for it as I'm sure I can spare some.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yeah I cleaned them out on strips last night as he said he wouldn't be making these anymore for awhile as its too time consuming and I still have more monitors to fix. If one of you guys are in a pinch and can't find them elsewhere though I'll send you one of the packs for what I paid for it as I'm sure I can spare some.

I could really use a few! I doubt I even need a whole pack. I'll send you a PM :-)

Westcb

I could really use a few! I doubt I even need a whole pack. I'll send you a PM :-)

No problem brother, they come out to 70 cents each, just msg me how many you need and a address and I'll run them to the post office and let you know how much shipping is.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Last step is a bit of customization :)

I ordered some arts from Spectre, so marquee is covered. Anyone does designs for:

- instruction space card
- side stickers
- CP (design)
- CP steel base - for instance,customized CP with extra buttons I might need to add

Regarding buttons and joysticks, do these fit well in the Blast? Which parts should I be looking for when replacing joysticks and buttons? Any specific brands, types etc or is it standarized? Since this is my first cab I am a bit lost on this :D

http://www.ebay.es/itm/390885596847

Thanks again!!

Westcb

I ordered some arts from Spectre, so marquee is covered. Anyone does designs for:

- instruction space card
- side stickers
- CP (design)
- CP steel base - for instance,customized CP with extra buttons I might need to add

Regarding buttons and joysticks, do these fit well in the Blast? Which parts should I be looking for when replacing joysticks and buttons? Any specific brands, types etc or is it standarized? Since this is my first cab I am a bit lost on this :D

Thanks again!!

I wouldn't use those buttons you posted personally. I would stick with Sanwa or seimitsu and would use snap in style buttons not long barrel screw in type like you posted.
You want 30mm convex buttons for all action buttons and your start buttons should be 24mm.
I'm not sure who in Europe would be your best source for artwork.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member

- instruction space card
- side stickers
- CP (design)

Thanks again!!

custom side art... jasen's custom
dubdubdub might be able to help you with some custom design, he's pretty good. same with instruction cards
cp steel base, I'm out of blanks but I'll be putting in a new order. I can make you custom panel.

I would also say avoid those buttons...

The normal sega looms have .110" spade connectors. cherry type switches use .187" so those buttons will require new looms.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

I've got the 2930 so no luck there it seems. There has to be a component on the chassis that deals with the 31k width though. Finding it.. well that's another story.

Westcb

I've got the 2930 so no luck there it seems. There has to be a component on the chassis that deals with the 31k width though. Finding it.. well that's another story.

Ok, I was working on a 2931 last night and on the chassis was 3 pots. The first one marked B+ couldn't read the next two but the furthest one in that row shrank and expanded the entire picture while I was in 31k mode depending on which way you turn it. The three pots together we're maybe a inch and a half apart all lined up together. I turned it down a bit and could see that horiZontally the screen was not filled. If you got your monitor out look for 3 trim pots together and see if you can find the one labeled B+ then tell me what the other two say. You won't damage anything making small turns just mark them to make sure you put it back to where it was if its not the one you need. Good luck.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Anyone have the part numbers for the connectors/pins needed to make a Sun PSU power -> Blast City IO board cable? Thanks in advance.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
custom side art... jasen's custom
dubdubdub might be able to help you with some custom design, he's pretty good. same with instruction cards
cp steel base, I'm out of blanks but I'll be putting in a new order. I can make you custom panel.

I would also say avoid those buttons...

The normal sega looms have .110" spade connectors. cherry type switches use .187" so those buttons will require new looms.

Thanks a lot codecrank! Certainly interested in the steel base, do let me know when you have some in stock again and I'll be happy to get one from you :)
I'll contact the other members and see what I can find out :)
I discarded those buttons, I'll try to find the original ones in different colours once I have a custom design :)