big red MVS paint color

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Ok hold on. It's a latex enamel WTF??

Somebody help. LOL

Edit: I called first and spoke to them, and they said Behr doesn't even make oil-based paints. If this is true, bippers musta got that part wrong.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
.....BTW I talked another friend into taking me to HD tonight, so there shall be a grand scene if they don't gimme my shit. Look out for paint can bludgeonings on the news. :vik:

And if your local HD: CS dept. is :loco: and :-J something, then escalate the matter by calling their regional/corporate office.

Tell how capable HD was in selling you the wrong product. Tell them how unfair their in-store return policy is. How poorly the HD customer service department handled your simple request to correct this HD mistake. And, as a HD customer, just how :mad: :blow_top: :very_ang: that makes you feel.

The corporate offices love to get feedback from their shoppers.

Sometimes you just have to be :cool:--like :mr_t:

:vik: On

-----

:snack:

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
...I called first and spoke to them, and they said Behr doesn't even make oil-based paints....

B.S. Go to http://www.behr.com and search "Oil Base" and you'll get 26 results.

01. PREMIUM PLUS® Interior Enamel Undercoater Primer & Sealer No. 75
02. Oil-Base Interior/Exterior Semi-Gloss Enamel
03. Semi-Transparent Oil-Based Wood Stain No. 4330
04. Premium Wood-Toned Weatherproofing Wood Finish
05. Premium Transparent Weatherproofing Wood Finish
06. PREMIUM PLUS® Interior Enamel Undercoater Primer & Sealer No. 75
07. Oil-Base Interior/Exterior Hi-Gloss Enamel
08. Oil-Base Interior/Exterior Semi-Gloss Enamel
09. Oil-Base Interior/Exterior Hi-Gloss Enamel
10. PREMIUM PLUS® Interior/Exterior Oil-Based Primer & Sealer No. 434
11. PREMIUM PLUS® Interior/Exterior Oil-Based Primer & Sealer No. 434
12. Porch & Patio Floor Paint - Low-Lustre
13. Porch & Patio Floor Paint - Low-Lustre
14. Masonry, Stucco & Brick Paint Satin
15. PREMIUM PLUS® Interior Semi-Gloss Enamel
16. PREMIUM PLUS® Exterior Semi-Gloss Enamel
17. Masonry, Stucco & Brick Paint Flat
18. PREMIUM PLUS® Interior/Exterior Hi-Gloss Enamel
19. PREMIUM PLUS® Interior Eggshell Enamel
20. PREMIUM PLUS® Interior/Exterior Hi-Gloss Enamel
21. PREMIUM PLUS® Interior Satin Enamel
22. Concrete & Masonry Bonding Primer No. 880
23. Concrete & Masonry Bonding Primer No. 880
24. PREMIUM PLUS® Exterior Satin Enamel
25. PREMIUM PLUS® Exterior Flat
26. PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA® Exterior Flat

Last edited:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Painted all night. Machine went from this:

DSCF0385.jpg

To this:

DSCF0391.jpg

To this:

DSCF0392.jpg

Of course, the flash messes with the color.

I still have some touch up work on the front (painter's tape is still on down there) but otherwise it's basically done. :D

So far I did 5 coats on the sides (the first coat was very thin though) and 6 on the front, and I still haven't run out of paint. :mr_t:

I could've gotten away with less coats if I'd used a light colored primer, but I figured I'd test the whole paint with primer pre-added thing and see if it was legit (or I'm a lazy ass).

Last edited:

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
It's a Dynamo HS-5. It's a generic cab that was used for Street Fighter, among other things. :)

I have always wondered about mine, I have a Naomi-1 in it.. and always thought the control panel reminded me of old street fighter cabs

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Ok!, just take it easy man...
Water based enamels are to me like alchool-free beer or something, but That paintwork actually looks very cool!

Yeah my intention was to get oil-based, as the instructions in the thread indicated. My mistake was believing that enamel was synonymous with oil, so I ask the guy for enamel, and end up with latex enamel. So yeah, I knew latex is supposed to suck (Xian Xi's mentioned it before too), which is why I was so annoyed when I figured it out after getting home with it. That's when you arrived. ;)

Thanks though, I've already had to patch a few spots where removing the masking tape pulled a strip of paint off (all the way down to the black surface below), so all I can hope for is that it cures pretty hard. At least hard enough to sit still and not disintegrate if you breathe on it.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
IMHO, your local HD did not help you get the BEHR PAINT product that you wanted to buy: BEHR OIL-BASED PAINT in BEHR COLOR S-G-180.

1. Exterior Specialty Paints and Primers | Behr Paint
2. Interior Specialty Paints and Primers | Behr Paint

3. Oil-Base Interior/Exterior Hi-Gloss Enamel | Behr Paint
4. Oil-Base Interior/Exterior Semi-Gloss Enamel | Behr Paint

You can also write a letter to BEHR's CS dept. and explain how their authorized retailer--your local HD--sold you the wrong BEHR PAINT product for your painting project and how they won't even attempt to fix their mistake and make it right. Include how they provide you with more wrong information about BEHR PAINT products and hide behind their NO-RETURN policy. Let BEHR know how :mad: :blow_top: :very_ang: that makes you fee--as a BEHR customer. Companies love to know just how satisfied their consumers are buying and using their products.

Just remember: Be :cool:--like :mr_t:

:snack:

Last edited:

Konig

NAM-75 Vet

yeah thats her, my buttons only showed 4, for each side..., I guess because the Capcom vs SNK game that was in it only uses 4... I added wholes in the panel overlay so its a 6 button layout... but I had to replace the panel overlay with the classic diamond plate looking capcom overlay. I plan on making it into a SSF2 cab once I find a suitable cab for my Naomi setup

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
IMHO, your local HD did not help you get the BEHR PAINT product that you wanted to buy: BEHR OIL-BASED PAINT in BEHR COLOR S-G-180.

I'm not quite so sure yet:

I got a quart of their new Behr ultra premium semi-gloss enamel, this is the one that comes with the primer already in it.

I haven't noticed any examples of ultra premium oil paint, or any mentions of a version with primer.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I'm not quite so sure yet:....

Ok. Cool.

-----

I was looking at BEHR's website again.

Looks like PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA and PREMIUM PLUS are "100% acrylic latex paints."

I'm gonna call my local HDs tomorrow and get some more info.

Last edited:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Ok. Cool.

-----

I was looking at BEHR's website again.

Looks like PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA and PREMIUM PLUS are "100% acrylic latex paints."

I'm gonna call my local HDs tomorrow and get some more info.

Yep, and what I got was Ultra Premium Plus. I could've gotten semigloss, but I though eggshell might look more Neo-y. It looks really good now that it had over 12 hours to dry without me messing with it. It's hard to judge after staring at something all weekend, but the color looks pretty right to me. Grenadine is the way to go.

I kept a jar of it for touch ups and put it aside, but I still have paint left in my saran-wrapped tray too. If I'd primed first, I'd probably had enough for 2 machines.

It being latex, I wish I'd used something rougher than 220 grit to make the paint stick, but oh wells. I checked around KLOV and BYOAC and apparently some of those guys use latex, so at least that's somewhat encouraging.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I called BEHR first.

Spoke with CS rep. OLGA. She was very nice to me--very :cool:.

1. BEHR Grenadine S-G-180 is avalible in BEHR OIL-BASED paint.

2. BUT, BEHR OIL-BASED paints are NOT sold with the BEHR PRIMER mixed in it; however, BEHR WATER-BASED paints are.

3. AND, BEHR can NOT sell OIL-BASED paints in some states--like CA--it's the LAW. So, only BEHR WATER-BASED paints are for sale in those states.

4. ALSO, for best results with a BEHR Grenadine S-G-180 colored paint, use a primer and apply multiple thin coats of paint.

5. And, let each paint coat cure (dry) to it's dark color before adding the next coat of paint.

6. LASTLY, after applying enough coats to achieve the rich dark color desired, give the painted cabinet additional time to dry so that pait can dry into the hardened "paint shell" state.

----

Looks like I don't need to call HD.

Last edited:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
So this is what mrbippers and I both used then:

687c6df4-541d-42d6-af90-3e6d42c12bfc_300.jpg

(except his is semigloss)

LASTLY, after applying enough coats to achieve the rich dark color desired, give the painted cabinet additional time to dry so that pait can dry into the hardened "paint shell" state.

Mine is acquiring its hard candy coating as we speak! :loco:

I did the bippers method and only waited an hour between the first couple coats. It was dry to the touch, but not the awesome red it ended up being.

Last edited:

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I used the semi-gloss enamel, but looking into it more the stuff they sell here is water based too. Regardless, it will still dry much harder than a regular latex paint and that's the main point. I wouldn't stress over it. Looks like it came out well despite all teh drama.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Oh and it's almost not even worth it to use masking tape (though it made a nice clean edge on the outside sides of the cab when I taped it right up to, but not covering, the edge of the T molding). The paint scratches right off the T molding and the coin box. Just wait till it's dry (like a day or 2, but no longer) and scratch off any excess, or take a light moistened paper towel and wet the paint a tiny bit, wait a few seconds, then wipe it off. Just try not to mess with the paint you wanna keep, or you might have to do some touching up.