Best golf games

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
What are some good golf games to check out? I like NTM, whatever the Gamecube Mario golf is, the Hot Shots games on PSP are pretty fun and I've heard the GBA Mario golf is good too. I should flash that joint on my everdrive. Anything from the 16-bit era worth playing? Is Irem Skins good enough where I won't be thinking I should just play NTM instead?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Any and all Hot Shots and Mario Golf games are worth checking out. Hot Shots and Wipeout are pretty much all I played on Vita. Toadstool Tour on Gamecube is my favorite Mario Golf but the N64, GBA, GBC, and 3DS games are all good too.

Kirby's Dream Course on Super Nintendo is a fun miniature golf game.

I don't really like golf simulators, more of an arcade golf fan, but I hear the Tiger Woods games from the mid-2000s are all really solid.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Any and all Hot Shots and Mario Golf games are worth checking out. Hot Shots and Wipeout are pretty much all I played on Vita. Toadstool Tour on Gamecube is my favorite Mario Golf but the N64, GBA, GBC, and 3DS games are all good too.

Kirby's Dream Course on Super Nintendo is a fun miniature golf game.

I don't really like golf simulators, more of an arcade golf fan, but I hear the Tiger Woods games from the mid-2000s are all really solid.

2004 and 2005 are god tier.

Golf Club 2019 I thought was really good. Havent played PGA 2K21

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Golf Story for switch is fun. And it has some fun rpg elements.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I enjoyed the Tiger Woods games on the Wii using the motion controls. NTM has to also be up there with one of the best golf games I ever played. I never played the Hot Shots games but I hear they are fun.

madman

I have Golf Story, but haven't played it yet. Now that I'm done w/Animal Crossing that might be a good one to get into. A friend loves PGA 2k21, but mostly the making courses part. I'm not sure how much I'd be into a simulation vs a more arcade style but it might be worth looking at some reviews. I dunno shit about the Tiger Woods games, so I'll look up some reviews on those.

ETA: I hope Nintendo puts a new Mario golf game out on Switch that isn't a pile of shit like the last 2 Mario Tennis games.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I don't know about the best but I had a lot of fun playing the GBC Mario Golf. I have a GBA everdrive on its way here and I can't wait to try the GBA version.

madman

I did check out some videos on that when I was considering the PSVR, but I ultimately decided the PSVR wasn't worth it compared to some of the standalone solutions which I also don't own.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Neo Turf Masters! The Pocket version moreso than the MVS, IMO. I don’t even like golf and this is one of my favorite NGP games.

Kirby’s Dream Course, a sort of hybrid of mini golf and trick pool, strategy is key.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I hate most sports games but Neo Turf Masters is one of my favorite Neo games. As mentioned the Pocket version is the tits as well.

Golf Story is also really great and worth picking up when it’s on sale.

On the gween!

madman

It has been so long since I played my Neo Pocket, I can't even remember how I felt about NTM Pocket. I remember really liking the Tennis game though. I'll have to find that thing and dust it off.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Hot Shots Golf/Everybody's Golf is my favorite series for 3D golf. I think Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds on PS3 is the best entry in the series, but the two games since, Hot Shots Golf World Invitational (Vita/PS3) and "Everybody's Golf" (PS4) are solid entries. The PS2 and PSP games good too, but are harder for me to go back to since they are older.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Seriously considering the Neo turf master pocket game thanks to this topic. Never really looked into it despite loving the mvs game. Shoulda been a no brainer.

But to answer what other golf games I like would be hotshots and Mario golf 64. The mini golf in that game was pretty fun.

madman

Golf Story is a friggen blast. I think I need to turn the rumble settings down though.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I remember enjoying Links 386 Pro in the MS-DOS era a lot, perhaps Links 2004 on XBox is worth checking out?

madman

I put a few more hours into Golf Story last night, I'm still enjoying it. I wonder how the golfing will stand on its own once I get through the story portion. It's pretty straight forward so far, no wandering around trying to figure out WTF you're supposed to do next. My only knock on the game so far is that it seems to be pretty easy, there are only a handful of challenges I had to redo because I couldn't beat them the first time around. I'm also not a fan of the frisbee golf portions, but overall still a great time.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
PGA Tour III on Genesis is pretty great as well as PGA Tour '98 on PSOne.

I tend to like the more "sim" style Golf games...Harukanaru Augusta 3 Masters on Super Fami is good too.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I remember enjoying Links 386 Pro in the MS-DOS era a lot, perhaps Links 2004 on XBox is worth checking out?

Links 2004 is really good too.

All of those 2004 Xbox 1st party sports games were all excellent.