Best device to play in Progressive Scan on a monitor?

Seijuro Hiko

Camel Slug
I want to play with my consoles in progressive scan mode and I'm thinking to such a device for a CRT monitor:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=221&products_id=3923&

Can anyone tell if this product is really good? I bought 2 VGA box, one for the GC and DC, and it was pretty much a disappointment. It doesn't have it the sharpness and colour that I got with my television and RGB cable.

I would really like to play in progressive scan mode but my television doesn't support it.

I saw that there is this product too:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=221&products_id=4233&

Anybody knows the difference of picture quality? And what you cable do you recomment? (Component or D-Terminal)

Thanks very much for helping me out!

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
Alot of the proclaimed VGA boxes on the market are only line doublers, which take a crappy composite (or S-video) signal and effectively double the number of scanlines so VGA computer monitors can display the image. The result is a rather dull lifeless picture that looks horrible - as you have already witnessed.
I don't know what DC VGA box you have, but as the DC outputs VGA natively, the picture should be superb! I have a cheap Hais box for my DC and it's great!

You really want to get hold of a true transcoder, which takes a progressive component signal and converts it to VGA. The two item links you posted appear to be both transcoders, but how good they are I don't know as I don't own either of them. Although I will say I did own a form of the cheaper item (it was a Key Digital box and was a piece of junk) This one looks similar to the box I owned and probably performs similarly as well. I would steer clear of it. The other one looks impressive, but it is expensive.

I would go with a component connection, not D-terminal. The latter is only mainly used in Japan, on Japanese TV's.

Last edited:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Seijuro Hiko said:
I want to play with my consoles in progressive scan mode and I'm thinking to such a device for a CRT monitor:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=221&products_id=3923&

Can anyone tell if this product is really good? I bought 2 VGA box, one for the GC and DC, and it was pretty much a disappointment. It doesn't have it the sharpness and colour that I got with my television and RGB cable.

I would really like to play in progressive scan mode but my television doesn't support it.

I saw that there is this product too:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=221&products_id=4233&

Anybody knows the difference of picture quality? And what you cable do you recomment? (Component or D-Terminal)

Thanks very much for helping me out!

Your top link is your best bet. For older systems you will have to use a japanese scart cable in order to get the best picture.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
All regular Dreamcast VGA boxes (even third party) will output perfect VGA for most games. the Svideo/RCA to VGA transcoders suck.

I also belive that there are ways to hack a regular Gamecube (first revision) to output VGA. Gamejunkie knows more about this than me.

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
norton9478 said:
I also belive that there are ways to hack a regular Gamecube (first revision) to output VGA. Gamejunkie knows more about this than me.

Yeah, that's right, the only trouble is, it only works for progressive scan enabled games, which the majority are now...

...but then again, the games would have to be progressive enabled to use a transcoder anyway. ;)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dreamcazman said:
Yeah, that's right, the only trouble is, it only works for progressive scan enabled games, which the majority are now...

Much like the Dreamcast...

I was pissed when I found out that most PSII games don't support High-Res mode......

CHeap bastards...

Seijuro Hiko

Camel Slug
Alright, I just received my package, and I'm a little disappointed with the X-Select. The picture quality is much better then with my older VGA box, that's a plus. But still isn't as good as with the RGB cable on my TV. (But it could well be my monitor, I don't know) :spock:
And the weird thing is, that I only have a picture when I play in progressive scan mode! That means that I can use this devise with games that have progressive scan mode. Is it because of the D-Terminal cable who works only in progressive scan mode? :conf:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
For the xbox, use the x2vga, works perfect and uses the native progressive scan from the xbox

http://www.x2vga.com/

You might need to have your Xbox modded to fully use it, I think I had to switch my PAL xbox to NTSC mode.