ATX PSU + supergun

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
hey I'm considering grabbing a vogatek supergun and just playing it thru the s-video out, should look good enough right? Just have a quick question on the PSU:

I can use any old PSU I assume, I am looking at a a cheap 200W one which puts out well over what a neo or any PCB i'll ever own will need, I just wonder about the 'minimum load' spec. This cheap one I look at has minimum load 1A on the +5V and 2A on the +12, does this mean it will just shut itself off if the current draw ever falls below that threshold? or it won't even start? MVS should easily pull more than 1A on +5V but I don't think it does with the +12 (correct me if I'm wrong). also, what about the +3.3V that isn't even used, will the rest of the unit even turn on without current draw on unused terminals? has anyone run into any problems with this minimum load spec? I am thinking I might have to look for one with more lenient minimum load specs... or tie resistors with low enough resistance between + terminal and ground just to waste enough current to get the thing to run:spock:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
A 2A load min on the +12v might be a problem since most PCBs uses 1A and sometimes less on the +12v line.

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
alright, I'll scratch that one then. it's annoying looking for the right one since alot of sellers don't detail this spec.

I looked at a more expensive low profile PSU, it has:

1A min on +5V
500mA min on +12V

If it really is 1A or slightly less as general rule then it seems OK. it has 300mA and 200mA max load on -12v and -5v respectively for whatever it's worth.

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I'm using an Antec Basiq PSU with my Vogatek, model BP350. 0.5A min on +5V, 1A min on +12V. I know it's excessive for what I need, but the mins seem fine and it's a good quality PSU. It also helps that I got the PSU and 2 VGA cables for $15 at a local PC chop shop. :)

doctor_shred

Zero's Secretary
I have no idea what my ATX power supply specs are - I just bought a cheap one and it works fine with my Vogatek board.

Also I picked up one of those picoPSUs for micro ATX biards that run from a 12v DC powers supply. It runs my 2-slot ok so far although I've not tried it with some of the larger meg carts yet.