Are Hori Shmups dying out?

starman

Armored Scrum Object
The ratio of vert:hori shmups is ridiculously skewed (to vert's favor). Are we witnessing a dying genre? Also, what's with the latest trend of Manic shmups--I'm sick of dodging bullets, and lame techno.

Where're my Gradius 2 flame dragons? Or Bydo-Giger battleships, or Titanic Lance's? Bullet's are cool and all, but I'm sick of being killed by a tiny pixel I couldn't dodge--I want to die dramatically and majestically again.:emb:

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
true, even the latest greats like BorderDown and GradiusV still, seem somewhat "maniac-ish"...

well, i dunno.. maybe Vert are easier to develop these days :P

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
After playing the arcade version of Gradius 2 yesterday I can safely say that I won't be shedding a tear if we never see a horisontal shmup again :smirk:

Unless, of course, Cave decides to do a sequel to Progear :loco:

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
I'd love to see a manic sequel to In The Hunt...

or a vertical shooter on a hori screen ala mars matrix done by cave.

Droid

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Plenty of excellent horizontal shooters, so hopefully they'll be alright. I enjoy both styles about the same, so it would be nice to see more. Think I'll play Blazing Star now. ;)

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
droid said:
I'd love to see a manic sequel to In The Hunt...

Mate that would be amazing, cause to me In the hunt is the best shooter ever.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Nothing new. Always been a larger number of verts.

There are some horis I like, but I generally prefer verts any day of the week.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
a little off topic but 1 question: would you guys consider games like Radiant Silvergun Mars Matrix or Aero Fighter 2 and 3 to be vertical or horizontal games. The shooting action is mostly in a vertical possition in those games, but the monitor is horizontal. Sorry if you think this is a dumb question.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
alec said:
a little off topic but 1 question: would you guys consider games like Radiant Silvergun Mars Matrix or Aero Fighter 2 and 3 to be vertical or horizontal games. The shooting action is mostly in a vertical possition in those games, but the monitor is horizontal. Sorry if you think this is a dumb question.

That would be considered vertical, just not tate.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Prefer horizontal shooters much more, as I enjoy them more.

I really don't know why every new shooter these days is a vertical.

Border Down and Gradius 5 are definately among my top favorites as favorite shooters, but so is Ikaruga (vertical).

I really hope we see at least ONE quality horizontal shooter soon.

But u know what, we really need to say a game like Zero Gunner 2 again.

Hori, Vert, everything else all in one. That game blew me away as I had always fantasized about a 360 shooter like that with constant switching of angles.

Anyway, back on topic, don't know the reason why verticals outnumber horizontals greatly. I wish it was pretty even... =/

So for the horizontal lovers, what hori games are available for the PS2?

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
I really don't know why every new shooter these days is a vertical.

I'd imagine the japanese gaming crowd prefers them? dunno. I'd love to see cave take another stab at horis...or a vert shooter on a horiz screen...or an insane isometric style shooter like viewpoint ;)

Droid

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
alec said:

I would also consider them to be vertical games even though they are running on a horizontal monitor. I think it depends more on the game than on the monitor orientation and, from the people I've talked to, they also seem to have the same view.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Of course it depends on which way your ship/character is flying. That's common sense. Radiant Silvergun and Mars Matrix are vertical shooters because the ships are flying upwards and the enemies tend to come from there, while Gradius V and R-Type Final are horisontal because the ships fly from the left to the right.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Do we have to come back to the definition of what is a hori and vert shmup?;)

kubrick

Stakes Winner
I like both, but I would definitely like to see more Horis. Salamander is ripe for a revival. :)

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
kubrick said:
I like both, but I would definitely like to see more Horis. Salamander is ripe for a revival. :)

Salamander in the vein of Gradius V.

I'd love to see that.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
subcons said:
Salamander in the vein of Gradius V.

I'd love to see that.

Yeah have that classic Life Force feel, but with the Gradius V engine. I've always liked Life Force over the other Gradius games.

starman

Armored Scrum Object
alec said:
Wow, these games had horizontal monitors? I've never seen a cab for any of them--just playn home versions, but that's really interesting to note.

I think the reason why they're less Hori Shmups is because they might be harder to make? Maybe drawing landscapes for your ship to crash into is harder than drawing exquisite bullet patterns for your ship to crash into. :conf: