Arcade Monitor Issues.

Jae686

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi. My arcade monitor, when displaying lots of white, makes some sort of horizontal distortion. But it turns to normal when the screen is not filled with white.

Also, the red color seems to leak a bit to the right (over saturated?)

Some pictures of this issue :

Is there any adjustment , or fix , to be made on the monitor ?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
There may be more than one issue here.

The flaring may be due to the screen volts being low and brightness turned right up, try turning the brightness down and increasing the screen volts (lower pot on the flyback) The set up of the rgb drives may also have an effect here.

It also looks like there may be poor regulation on the monitors power supply, perhaps a cap kit would fix this.

If you are not sure about the safety issues dealing with monitors, suggest you get someone who is to deal with it ;)

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
ttoodddyy has great advice there. When the screen is too bright, the beam hitting the screen is so intense that it overdrives the phosphors. The term for this is called 'blooming' and a quick search on CRT blooming may help you understand the phenomenon better.

Definitely reduce your brightness before you do anything else, more than likely it's turned up very high, so high, that the white is actually turning to blue. It's impossible to tell from your picture, but based on the fact that the distortion seems to flucuate based on how much white is in that horizontal line, I bet you'll clean up most of it straight away by reducing the intensity.

If it continues to do this at a low brightness, your problems are beyond my understanding to fix.

-Dan