anyone work in retail?.....

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
my girlfriend has been workin at jc pennys for about 5 years....... and she went in at 8 pm tonight and won't be off until about 4 this morning.. they have to take inventory of everything in the store.... sounds like some bull...... anyone else ever do some shit like this??.....

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
my girlfriend has been workin at jc pennys for about 5 years....... and she went in at 8 pm tonight and won't be off until about 4 this morning.. they have to take inventory of everything in the store.... sounds like some bull...... anyone else ever do some shit like this??.....

Inventory is normal. They call in everyone that works, plus use an outside company to take counts. She should look at the bright side: they are doing it on an overnight shift.

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
They call in everyone that works, plus use an outside company to take counts.

man, that shit brings up memories. for those that don't know, you essentially partner up with one of the inventory pros and you compare your count to them. if your count doesn't match, you both have to start the count over (per section). i didn't have glasses at the time so i had trouble seeing some of the cases marked further up the shelves/rack, so whatever number the inventory guy threw out, i would say "yeah that sounds about right..."

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
man, that shit brings up memories. for those that don't know, you essentially partner up with one of the inventory pros and you compare your count to them. if your count doesn't match, you both have to start the count over (per section). i didn't have glasses at the time so i had trouble seeing some of the cases marked further up the shelves/rack, so whatever number the inventory guy threw out, i would say "yeah that sounds about right..."

With my work, we have a company bring in a shit-load of their own people and do the counting for us. There's weeks of prep work to do, though, to make sure the whole process is smooth. The other employees and I are there to do UPC checks and assist the counters.

The problem with our inventories is they would bleed into operating hours, which makes the whole thing a bit of a bitch. That and they don't clean up the count sheets they tack onto the shelves.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Had to do that shit when I used to work at Best Buy. We started ours right after the store closed and the final customer left. Luckily, our GM was super organized and gave each employee a designated spot in the store and we could go home as soon as our section was finished instead of having to stay all night.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I almost took a job when I was younger doing night-shift inventory.

It sounded like a great job at first (good pay, benefits..etc.), but during the interview they told me that "sometimes" the stores they do inventory on can be a little bit far away.

Then I saw the first week's schedule. Every single store for the first week was around 75-100 miles away. Including one store that was out of state and around 120 miles away.

Driving 2 hours one way to do 6-8 hours worth of work then 2 hour drive back home ? What a fucking joke. I'd of spent a quarter to a 3rd of the money I'd of made for the day in gas, not to mention 4 hours unpaid on the road.

Also, putting 150-200+ miles a day on your car 5 days a week is simply asking for having to replace your car far sooner.

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
While not in retail, the joys of inventory is always a presence in pratically any job site...seeing how much product we used compared to sales so that we can make adjustments plus my fun inventory of counting and determining the cost of redemption prizes and stuff.

On occassion you can go into a Home Depot and see little tags on lots of stuff there: those are inventory numbers that the place is still collecting. So in short, I believe it and doing it overnight is standard since there's no customers to foul up the totals.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
(RETAIL SUCKS ASS)

This is a common thing with my wife,she's been in retail for like 15 years with the same company..(Hon,I have inventory next week,I will be working long hours")
She's Management now but when she was assistant management her manager was slow on things and they'd be there day and night getting ready for the inventory team to come..,then be there all day when they do the count..
Sometimes the outside inventory company will blotch it up and have to do a re-count.(that being a big WTF to me.
I've actually helped out at the place to prep for the inventory..

Now that she's management she's prepped the place sooner so that she's not there day and night though,it's still a long ALL day process..(her company has to do a pre inventory count done by the staff before the outside inventory company comes in..

The last time around,the outside inventory company counted things wrong(no where near the stores numbers) after three re-counts they could not match their previous counted numbers nor the stores..This was lasted determined later to be bad counters and supposedly the company is said to change the outside inventory company used.

Too late for my wife as bad numbers look bad on her and she takes a big hit on her bonus,..(if it's too bad,Fired)
Theft with no security in a getting worst day by day area it's like she has to tackle everyone stealing just to keep up the shrink numbers low.
Suck ass employees who today just don't give a shit.

Stupid call in surveys on random receipts to give details on a stores performance that in some bean counters mind is the best way to do it.
...If it's not all 10s the store gets a negative report that has a BIG HIT on the managers..(the store Demands that the store have high numbers in this and so far this method is a failure.
Who the heck today looks at the store reciept and wants to do a phone survey....And you can't use a cell phone to do it.it has to be a home or pay phone.
The most the place gets is some asshole pissed off because he couldn't get a free blow job with his purchase.

This year they killed all raises to Management and under staff.

stress,stress and more stress that I've seen my wife go through daily and mainly it's the call in survey BS that she's assed out on.
She breaks her ass being told to be the best manager in the district..
......but one stupid move by staff and she's a goner.
Day by day her job is on a wing and a prayer,no mater how hard she works.

(RETAIL SUCKS ASS)But as I told my wife,with the way things are today..It's a Job,better then nothing.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Wanna know the single worst thing about working in retail ?

The Muzak Christmas Tunes.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I worked retail for a few years. I'd rather be beaten to death with a claw hammer than go back to it.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member

Authentic Christmas tunes aren't bad, but "Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul McCartney can drive you to tears in the checkout line.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue

I dunno man... I used to know a few guys who worked retail, and their workplace played the same hour-long CD of top 40 hits every goddamned day. Muzak is horrifying, but it might be better than hearing the same Limp Bizkit song literally 40 times a week. Apparently this is pretty common.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Overnight inventory is an annoying, but perfectly normal occurance.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Authentic Christmas tunes aren't bad, but "Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul McCartney can drive you to tears in the checkout line.

AHAHAHAHAHA

I worked at Pamida (local department store) when I was in high school...they'd spam that song at least twice an hour.

We finished our retail about a month ago...what a fucking drag.

Still, it was better than the one before that which fell on my birthday...on a Saturday. :mad:

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member

I don't mind the version by Paul. That plays a lot less often on our Muzak than this fucking cover of it Hilary Duff did. It sounds even worse and the beginning of the song is sung by a child that can barely talk. Now that's fucking pain. :mad:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
It's not until you work through a retail holiday season that you realize how few good Christmas songs there really are.

Also: Inventory time sucks. I've done the work-all-night-before-the-inventory prep thing before. Many times. Not fun.

Last edited:

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I've done my share of time in retail.

When I did inventory, I had to count cigars and the amount of liquor left in the bottles. It's how we found out about one of my managers giving away free drinks.