Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Playing Warhammer Online (the MMO) has actually spurred my interest in the tabletop game.

Some great painting going on in here.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We need the thread title changed to Warhammer Fantasy/Warhammer 40K/Games Workshop thread.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Still working on those damn wolves, I'm swamped with book exams, seminar work etc... I'll get them done during the holidays. I really want to get playing FB again, one of my mates uses the bastardized dipping techinque, and has roughly 2000 points of High Elves painted :E

The bad thing about an Undead/Vampire Counts army is the fact that you have to paint 20+ extra Skeletons/Zombies for use with the summoning spells, since the ability to top up/create units on the fly is one of the key points of their game play.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
HORUS HERESY BOARD GAME

Although i'm told it may be based on an older Horus Heresy board game that GW did years ago.

I just wanted to repost this link, even though I did on the last page, because I feel like people may be missing out.

In other news, I'm still endlessly working on my Salamanders, Space Wolves, and some terrain.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Bump

Three of my wip wolves :D
Pretty sad but I haven't had that much time for painting atm. They need a few glazes before I move into basing & warnishing territory.
imgp0246.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
DEATHWATCH RPG

FFG is at it again. Hot off the heels of the Rogue Trader RPG they've announced that they are releasing a new 40K RPG about members of the Deathwatch!!!!

SPAZ MARINES!!!!!!!111!!!

I'm probably going to buy this.

I assume this will be compatible with Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader.

Last edited:

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I'm so glad I came across this thread! I used to be heavily obsessed with Games Workshop in the mid-90's. I played Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Necromunda, and Blood Bowl. There was game and comic shop right across the street from my old neighborhood and my friends and I would play every weekend and spent a great deal there during our summer vacations. So many fond memories of that place playing in tournaments, leagues, and participating in painting classes. We hosted a big North Texas tournament one weekend and reps from Games Workshop were there. I remember getting my picture taken for an issue of White Dwarf with my Eldar army after finishing 3rd in the tournament. My friend got his picture taken for his beautifully painted Blood Angels army. Unfortunately though, once we started our college years, we all kind of went our separate ways, and since I had no one to play with, I sold off all my stuff.

Anyway, fast forward to a couple of years ago, two Games Workshop stores have opened up in my area, and with the Dawn of War games and Dark Heresy RPG, I've slowly started to regain interest in the hobby.

This past Saturday, my best friend and I were at one of the local comic and game shops and saw the new Space Hulk and were totally going nuts over it. As bad as we wanted it then, we were both short on cash, so we couldn't afford the $100 price tag, but we decided to go back and get it this weekend if they still had it. Unfortunately, it was the last copy. Well, being the worrysome nerds that we are, we were looking online for a cheaper price and to see if anyone had it just in case. Well, we didn't find a better deal and even read that GW only made a very limited run of the new Space Hulk, so now it's getting hard to find.

Well, my friend called me a few hours ago to tell me that he stopped by the comic shop on his way home from work and they still had it and he picked it up! We're gonna crack it open and play some games on Saturday! I can't fucking wait! Hopefully, it will kick start our renewed interest in GW and strategic board games, as we're both also interested in the new Horus Heresy game and Warhammer: Invasion.

Has anyone played Warhammer: Invasion yet?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I own Warhammer: Invasion but have not played it.

I really like the LCG format though.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
DEATHWATCH RPG

FFG is at it again. Hot off the heels of the Rogue Trader RPG they've announced that they are releasing a new 40K RPG about members of the Deathwatch!!!!

SPAZ MARINES!!!!!!!111!!!

I'm probably going to buy this.

I assume this will be compatible with Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader.

Damn. I need to catch up on my FFG RPG stuff. I still need to get Rogue Trader. It doesn't help that the books are so damn expensive, even by RPG standards. :crying:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm not really in to RPGs but Rogue Trader is one that I would play. I bought the book and it seems really, really cool with lots of possibilities. I made a character but thats about it :emb:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
As the wolves died...

imgp0255i.jpg

Again my apologies for the gloss varnish :D

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
My best friend and I finally got to try out the new Space Hulk last Saturday. It was a lot of fun, but based on the mission we played, it seems like the Genestealers have the advantage by a mile! Then again, the Space Marine player keep be cheap and abuse the Librarian too. To me, with the Space Marines, it seems the key to the game is using guard and overwatch. Anyway, the new models are incredibly detailed and I like how some of the game board is embossed and has a 3D look. Definitely worth the $100. We're gonna try to get together for another game this weekend.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Funny you bumped this, I just got the new "Battle Missions" expansion for 40K. It's a book of scenarios, something I've been advocating for some time for 40K. I haven't really cracked it open yet.

I haven't done much 40K stuff lately, but I'm slowly gearing up to work on a terrain project.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
imgp0255i.jpg

Again my apologies for the gloss varnish :D

wow. that's amajing.
i forgot to go out tonight,
but there's a local shop that me and a friend walked into
that had tables set up for warhammer 40k and whatever else.
I talked with one of the guys breaking down his setup and totally wanted to check
them out since they apparently have a warhammer night on thursdays.
definitely next week.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Thanks rare and Isamu, even though they aren't well painted, just rank and file stuff so that I can get playing again

Here's another batch of skeletons, yawn.
Not even based yet, nor varnished. I don't have the time for it, come next week I gotta bail out of my flat, plumbing & kitchen refurb, meh.

Well anyways, here's a lighter bone tone due to me running out of the old Citadel brown wash and having to make do with the new Devlan Mud wash. Not entirely happy with the change imo, I like the old warmer overall tone of the paint scheme.
imgp0264aa.jpg

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
:up:

They still look great.

I picked up all the paints and supplies the other day (damn nice paint is expensive) and got some assorted minis coming in the mail. Will be my first attempt at painting them.

Most are metal, but I did pick up 6 little cheap plastic ones to start on. First few tries will probably suck and don't wanna ruin the nicer ones learning.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
:up:

They still look great.

I picked up all the paints and supplies the other day (damn nice paint is expensive) and got some assorted minis coming in the mail. Will be my first attempt at painting them.

Most are metal, but I did pick up 6 little cheap plastic ones to start on. First few tries will probably suck and don't wanna ruin the nicer ones learning.

Cool, a new Warhammer convert is made of win.

What army are you sporting?

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Cool, a new Warhammer convert is made of win.

What army are you sporting?

Lizardmen

They don't seem that common, plus I found someone selling their Army book for dirt cheap.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Lizardmen

They don't seem that common, plus I found someone selling their Army book for dirt cheap.

I dig the Aztec theme of said army, the Slann priest levitating on a slab of rock makes for a great center piece model.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Checked out GW's website today and saw the new Blood Angels stuff. Very cool stuff. After seeing this, playing Space Hulk with a friend, and eagerly awaiting the release of Horus Heresy, I really want to start getting back into GW games, so I have a few questions for you guys:

* Which is the more popular game at your local GW/game and comic shop? 40K or Fantasy?

* Rough guesstimate, how much should I expect to pay for a decent army?

* How much are primer, paints, brushes, and a carrying case/cases?

* What are the basic starter books/sets I need? Keep in mind, the last time I played 40K or Fantasy, it was the versions before the current ones, I think. IIRC, I just had the 40k set, the Dark Millineum set, and the codex for whatever army I was playing. Is it still like that these days?

* How are the basic rules now? I think when I used to play, we played on 4x6 (maybe longer) tables and used 1500 or 2000 point armies. I've noticed at my local GW stores that people tend to play on smaller tables and use smaller armies. Is that the norm now?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this all I can think up for now.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Checked out GW's website today and saw the new Blood Angels stuff. Very cool stuff. After seeing this, playing Space Hulk with a friend, and eagerly awaiting the release of Horus Heresy, I really want to start getting back into GW games, so I have a few questions for you guys:

* Which is the more popular game at your local GW/game and comic shop? 40K or Fantasy?

* Rough guesstimate, how much should I expect to pay for a decent army?

* How much are primer, paints, brushes, and a carrying case/cases?

* What are the basic starter books/sets I need? Keep in mind, the last time I played 40K or Fantasy, it was the versions before the current ones, I think. IIRC, I just had the 40k set, the Dark Millineum set, and the codex for whatever army I was playing. Is it still like that these days?

* How are the basic rules now? I think when I used to play, we played on 4x6 (maybe longer) tables and used 1500 or 2000 point armies. I've noticed at my local GW stores that people tend to play on smaller tables and use smaller armies. Is that the norm now?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this all I can think up for now.

1) Dunno, I have never played against random ppl, we have a crew of ten guys who have all been playing fb and 40k since we were 13 or so. Globally 40k is more popular

2) 40k is cheaper than FB, you can build a working space marine army from the stuff you get in one of the new starter boxes.

3) Over here Citadel paints/washes are like 3€ a pop, dunnno about carrying cases or primer, I use diluted skull white as an undercoat.

4) Both games come in either boxed sets, which include a nice lump of decent models, plastic miniatures are not the crap fest that they used to be, or in hardcover rule book form.

5) Fantasy Battle is better, before this we played 3rd/4th ed. The new system is more streamlined and the great thing is that magic and characters play a lesser role. 40k has been gimped big time, they are clearly trying to market it to an ever younger audience, the rules are oversimplified. E.g all creatures have the same move rate, you can't throw grenades, they are only used in hand-to-hand combat, you can shoot trough friendly squads, etc... We are sticking with 2nd edition with Rogue Trader h2h rules.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
5) Fantasy Battle is better, before this we played 3rd/4th ed. The new system is more streamlined and the great thing is that magic and characters play a lesser role. 40k has been gimped big time, they are clearly trying to market it to an ever younger audience, the rules are oversimplified. E.g all creatures have the same move rate, you can't throw grenades, they are only used in hand-to-hand combat, you can shoot trough friendly squads, etc... We are sticking with 2nd edition with Rogue Trader h2h rules.

I agree 100 percent. Out of nostalgia I bought the 4th and 5th edition 40k rules and was sorely disappointed with the rule changes.

I read through the newest Fantasy Battle rules once and Tsuka and I tried them out. I'll have to read through the magic and character rules again.

I love this thread. That Death Watch game looks pretty cool.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I glanced through the 40k rules and noticed it's alot simpler. I'm also not really into sci-fi and dig the FB theme.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Things that go bump in the night.

imgp0279o.jpg

imgp0280n.jpg

Four more of these, ten skeletons and the army commanders, and I have a 1000pts VC army. Unfortunately due to my exiled state I can't get my mitts on the rest of the force until August. This'll mean that my friends wll have ample time to complete theirs though, plus I can always keep busy expanding the force, or tackling those 40k projects that I have thought about for a long time, a close combat oriented Space Wolves army or a Tzeentch one consisting only of Thousand Sons and Daemons)