Anyone have experience with RVs, vans, traveling long distances with large vehicles?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Thinking about getting an RV (<30 feet) for myself as well as letting friends take it around in the summer.

I've driven across the country a few times in my small Honda Insight, which there are certainly conveniences when it comes to gas mileage, reliability, city driving, parking, etc - but having an enclosed space to stretch your legs I'd imagine would be nice.

Anyone have experiences taking tours or camping with an RV or van? Maintenance advice? Surprises? Limitations/tempered expectations?

Speed3

Marked Wolf
I worked at a RV dealership in the service department for around five years. I would say make sure you understand the cost of upkeep. I would also recommend a diesel pusher over a gas powered coach if you are looking for a coach as gas models typically get terrible mileage. On trailers and to a lesser degree coaches water damage is a huge issue. If the roof gets damaged and water is introduced you are looking at enormous repair costs.

Trailers realistically last around 5-7 years before they start falling apart. So if buying used look for the newest one in your price range, have it inspected at a dealer if buying from a private party and sell before it gets to the 10 year mark. Also insure that bad boy so if/when it gets damaged you can get it repaired.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I've done several cross country trips in an old Ram 2500 converted van. Comfy as hell, and still normal enough of a size to drive in the city and find parking. Anything over that in size, though, becomes a bit of a burden. Especially when you consider, where are you going to park this RV most of the time?

My sister has an RV and it's been a constant fight with the neighbors to even park it in their driveway. Most people are fine, but all it takes are one or two that don't want to see it and you'll be at the whim of your neighborhood association.

Then there's the servicing, the filling and emptying of the restroom tanks, fuel, etc. Even fueling a large vehicle can be a pain. Are you sure it will fit at your local gas station? You'll quickly have to learn the height of your vehicle, to figure out where it will go. I had to worry about that in the Ram too, but it was a lot easier at 6'4 clearance.

Anyway, I love driving cross country in a big van, but an RV really would be too much for me. I think you just have to figure out what you're comfortable with.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Also, of note. I nailed a deer in my Ram doing about 85 on I75 years ago. Barely took the van out of commission, and kept me safe when I probably would have died in a car. I retired it and sold it to the mechanic who was repairing it for a pretty nice price. I was ready to move on. I bought the van for $3,500. Wrecked it three years later, took $1,500 from insurance for repairs, and then sold it to the mechanic for $1,500. Not a bad $500 spent for three years service. ;)

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Don't buy new, buy used with low mileage. Shouldn't be hard to find.

The reason being is that a lot of RV's tend to have issues right out of the factory. A pre-owned will likely have all of it's bugs worked out by the time it's up for sale.

Source: my rich aunt that's owned 2 5th wheels and an RV, and her even richer friend that owns a giant fucking RV and practically lives in it. They had issues with each and every one, and swear they'll never buy new again.

Also, of note. I nailed a deer in my Ram doing about 85 on I75 years ago. Barely took the van out of commission, and kept me safe when I probably would have died in a car. I retired it and sold it to the mechanic who was repairing it for a pretty nice price. I was ready to move on. I bought the van for $3,500. Wrecked it three years later, took $1,500 from insurance for repairs, and then sold it to the mechanic for $1,500. Not a bad $500 spent for three years service. ;)

Dude, that's awesome. Like having a $500 rental for 3 years? Hell yeah.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Thanks guys. Bummer that my fear about maintenance seems to be confirmed.

Those vans are tempting. Plus, if I were rolling with friends and we had to stay in a hotel instead, we'd be rolling with enough to cut down the costs.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I once took a road trip in a Queen Family Truckster from Chicago to Los Angeles. The family loved it!

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I've done several cross country trips in an old Ram 2500 converted van. Comfy as hell, and still normal enough of a size to drive in the city and find parking. Anything over that in size, though, becomes a bit of a burden. Especially when you consider, where are you going to park this RV most of the time?

My sister has an RV and it's been a constant fight with the neighbors to even park it in their driveway. Most people are fine, but all it takes are one or two that don't want to see it and you'll be at the whim of your neighborhood association.

Then there's the servicing, the filling and emptying of the restroom tanks, fuel, etc. Even fueling a large vehicle can be a pain. Are you sure it will fit at your local gas station? You'll quickly have to learn the height of your vehicle, to figure out where it will go. I had to worry about that in the Ram too, but it was a lot easier at 6'4 clearance.

Anyway, I love driving cross country in a big van, but an RV really would be too much for me. I think you just have to figure out what you're comfortable with.

This right there is enough of annoyance...

We drove to California last year on a SUV w/ Cargo Box on top & was pain in the ass to find parking. Not used to having so many places that has height clearance.

Those maintenance seem like a killer...Probably better off just renting it for summer trip then actually buying one.