another piece of monitor help needed

Fredscape

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Let me be the next to need some monitor help :)

I`m trying to unplug this baby:

inside2.jpg

BUT it won`t come loose.

Tried removing it by pulling it to all sides but the bastard won`t move.
Don`t have that much grip so maybe I need to pull harder .

Question is though: anybody done this before? and what side should I pull to? I hear something moving but no idea how thight these things are.

Thanks!

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Be carefull if you mean the suction cup and cord dude, you could get the shock of your life! Bzzzztt!!!!

Underneath that cup protector theres a spring like push in terminal with barbs that stop it from popping out on its own. You may need to discharge the tube before trying to remove this. Needle nosed pliers work well as you need to squeeze the two barbed strips together to pull it out. Do a Google search on discharging CRT monitors and you should find some good info on this proceedure (hehehe I can't be bothered typing that huge spiel tonight!) Just be real carefull with this as it would be nice to get a reply back from you even if it's only to indicate that you aren't dead!

Have Fun!!:D

Fredscape

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Reznor007 said:
Which part, the suction cup like thing, or the small PCB?

the pcb is my creditled :) It`s already gone....

It`s teh suction thingy :)

The monitor should be self discharging according to the manual and I already left it unplugged for about 2 weeks.

But what you are saying is I need to lift the rubber protection (:p)
and remove it then?

It`s not possible to squeeze the rubber and pull it off?

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
I wouldn't trust the self discharge...

Take a long flat tip screwdriver, wrap the end of some speaker wire around the metal of the screwdriver, then wrap the other end around the metal monitor frame. Once you are sure it is making good contact(as a ground), stick the tip of the screwdriver under the rubber cap and pop it off. It may make a popping noise. Once the cap is off, touch the hole with the screwdriver to make sure there is no charge left.

Fredscape

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Wont be easy to pop it off with a screwdriver if there is
a spring like push in terminal with barbs
underneath I guess.

Also this cab doesn`t have a nice metal frame where the monitor is in, maybe around the front there is some.

I`ll check tomorrow as it is time for bed already :)

Thanx for the advice guys!

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Underneath the cap is 2 pins bent differently that hold it in. They spring back to certain positions to hold it on. It's actually quite easy to pop off with a screwdriver.

As for the frame, any earth ground should work just fine.