Among others, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum coming to XBLA

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
This would be great if they implement decent netcode...I'm not holding my breath.

I'll definitely try out the trial version though.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
The only one I'm interested in is 2k2UM, but we'll see how the netcode is. If it sucks you might as well just play 2k2 on GGPO.

Did they remove K'9999 from UM?

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Ahhh, so that's why they waited so long for XBLA Metal Slug 7...they had retool it as XX. Makes sense since the PSP version would be easier to port to progressive widescreen than the tiny DS version.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Let's see if SNK-P can get this right. What I'm looking for:

Professional localization-98 UM didn't have it for XBLA. Can they do this right this time?

Working netcode-At this point, online is the only way we'll get any real value out of these old games. We've played them all to death and DLing something for 1P and local for these old games isn't gonna be worth much.

Would it be too much to hope that they figure out the netcode and implement that to their other XBLA releases? Or even...gasp...KOF XII?

Probably not.

Setting expectations low. That way, my feelings don't get hurt again and I don't have to deal with people telling me that SNK-P's fuckups are my fault because 'I'm not letting myself enjoy the game more.'

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
I'm definitely gonna get NGBC since I missed that when it came out on PS2.

Clessy

Banned
Really its about the resolution and filters they offer me on NGBC. If its actually in 720p and a nice option of filters im sold.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'll get 2002 UM regardless of the netcode since I don't own the game yet. I really wish they'd release an official online version of Twinkle Star. I need to play that again online. Lots of fun.

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
AFAIK yes...they replaced him with a similar character named Nameless.

I want a US 2k2UM PS2 port. :(

I don't follow the legal issues around KOF...but was the removal of K9999 because of some lawsuit or just because they didn't like the OG design?

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
It still amazes me how a little small company like ArcSyshas a better netcode than either SNK or Capcom. A serious WTF.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It still amazes me how a little small company like ArcSyshas a better netcode than either SNK or Capcom. A serious WTF.

Besides Hyper Fighting, I don't think I've played a Capcom game with bad netcode.

On topic: I'm all about getting Neo Geo shit on XBLA. The more, the better. I'm not holding out for good netcode, but it'll at least be nice to have the game on the hdd and be able to go for achievements or something.

Now, if we could only get an Art of Fighting pack on XBLA or something..

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
any chance any of these games will find a hard copy release?

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Besides Hyper Fighting, I don't think I've played a Capcom game with bad netcode.

On topic: I'm all about getting Neo Geo shit on XBLA. The more, the better. I'm not holding out for good netcode, but it'll at least be nice to have the game on the hdd and be able to go for achievements or something.

Now, if we could only get an Art of Fighting pack on XBLA or something..

True, Capcom games don't have "bad" netcode, but Blaz Blue has a better netcode than any Capcom fighter I've played.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
True, Capcom games don't have "bad" netcode, but Blaz Blue has a better netcode than any Capcom fighter I've played.

I'm definitely speaking from ignorance, because I haven't played BlazBlue, but I find it hard to top HDRemix. That has, by far, the best netcode I've ever experienced in an online game. I can't see it really getting better than that. Are you saying BB has better code than that?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
RE: Hard copy release.

Don't hold your breath. We didn't get hard copies of FFS, Garou, SS 2 or KOF 98 UM. Except for the bad localization of 98 UM, they're all pretty good versions.

RE: Netcode.

I've found Blazblue and the Capcom netcode to be comparable in my experiences.

Comparably GOOD. Take that, SNK-P.

RE: K9999 and Nameless.

My understanding of why K9999 was removed from 2K2 UM:

K9999 from KOF Nests saga:

200px-K9999.jpg

attachment.php

Tetsuo, from the anime and manga Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo

akira_l.jpg

1501408244_b54f687a39.jpg

Akira predates KOF by a number of years, so KOF loses. There may be other reasons, but this is always the one I've understood as the reason why 'Kfornine' evolved into 'Nameless.'

Last edited:

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Yeah i knew about Akira
So is that the reason? I wondered if there was something else involved in dropping the character.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I'm definitely speaking from ignorance, because I haven't played BlazBlue, but I find it hard to top HDRemix. That has, by far, the best netcode I've ever experienced in an online game. I can't see it really getting better than that. Are you saying BB has better code than that?

Yes, I would say even better than HD Remix. I was surprised myself, but even connections across the pond are very smooth. I've played with folks who were nothing but a red bar and I had some great games.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I heard Eolith held character rights for K9999

Per the KOF wiki:

"He was believed to be copyrighted by Eolith though SNK has expressed public disfavor for K9999 -presumably due to the explicitness of his tribute- and it is unlikely he will appear in the future."

Sounds to me like SNK-P could have used him if they really wanted to work something out with Eolith (as they likely did with the other Eolith creations like May Lee) but didn't bother because he's such a blatant rip off/tribute/swipe/homage/whatever.

Here's hoping they actually bother with an English translation for all the games mentioned above (especially since there was English text in the PS2 port of NGBC when it was released two years ago). (Oh yeah, and something about fixing the netcode.)
Otherwise, it'll prove to be another textbook example of SNKP's lack of regard for consumers outside Japan (not to mention sheer laziness and possibly being allergic to consumer problem-solving).