5 10 15 20

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
gonna start a thread on here basically ripped off from a feature that www.pitchforkmedia.com runs every now and then called ... well, 5 10 15 20.
basically the point of it is that for each age interval you have in 5's you say a short little bit about a bit of the music that was really a big deal for you then and put it in context. i'll start..

5 -

Alan Jackson's Greatest Hits and The Beatles Greatest Hits

this is all I can remember hearing in the car back then.. My dad I guess had recently bought a car that had a CD deck in it and decided to grab all these compilations of things he liked so that he could play them really loud and listen to them out of one ear like anyone who's 3/4 deaf would.

there is a definite sentimental attachment to both of these records, though for some reason i'd be more likely to pick the alan jackson one today just cause it's the corny things that end up being more endearing as time goes on.

10 -

who knows

at this time, i think i was maybe part of the first wave of kids to discover music basically entirely through the internet. I have zero memory of looking at record stores and figuring out what stuff to buy, what not to etc cause I never had to do that when I had no money of my own. I owned one CD though maybe a year later cause my mom got it for me.. Bad Dreams by Swollen Members. in 2001 they were basically our local heroes cause they were both from our town and managed to get on the radio with a string of catchy singles. The album is actually quite good to me still though, but they should cool it on the dungeons 'n dragons talk..

but.. anything that would have been part of the pop landscape of the time probably found it's way into my ears.. me and my sister basically held the same appreciation of the backstreet boys, michael jackson, dr. dre, tool, britney, nickelback, etcetc it was all kind of fair game. i sort of miss those times where i had no taste or bias in music. in particular though I was a pretty big fan of anyone with catchy rap beats.. Cam'Ron/Dipset, Nelly, Ludacris, etc. in addition to whatever bad radio "hard rock/metal" there was on at the time. Papa Roach, Nickelback, Limp Bizkit I all had no qualms in admitting I thought were really cool bands. And.. the Gundam Wing soundtrack, i remember being almost like moved to tears by terribly corny 90's j-pop just cause i associated it with all these really big epic moments in the show and I pretty much thought Gundam was the best thing in the world at 10.

15 -

Daft Punk - Discovery
Outkast- ATLiens
Justice - Cross

were very key records from when I was 15. I was basically an underachieving smartass with few remaining friends and bad skin (now i'm an underachieving smartass with few remaining friends.. but the acne's gone ;) )

Just before this I had a big phase with the Pink Floyd discography and pretty much swore that they were the best band, on earth, ever, and that all their records are classics. I burnt out hard on them. They got me into the concept of listening to a full album though, and there are still more than a couple of certified legendary records in their collection. but i digress..

I really fell in love with Daft Punk's Discovery after hearing Digital Love.. it seemed like when I heard that track for the first time, after being very deeply entrenched in just like.. 70's rock, it seemed like this revelatory new thing to me. Digital Love isn't the best song ever, but it's still easily in my top 5 all time. I listened to this album about a million times. They were the first live act I saw and have been a big inspiration since.

Outkast - ATLiens

This was the first CD I bought with my own money at our local indie record store. I knew outkast were good but wanted to just dive into an album. Andre 3000 still speaks to me in a way that no other rapper really does. Outkast reign over all 90's hip hop acts in my eyes.. wu-tang are very lyrically inventive but really, i can't relate to 90% of the stuff they talk about. ATLiens was always like a contemplative/bedtime album for me, again i've listened to it enough times that i can probably recite it word for word.

Justice - Cross

I was absolutely convinced that this was the definitive sound of tomorrow. I had listened to them since they just had a few tracks out on myspace, tried to talk them up to everyone, grabbed the album 2 months before it came out here, saw them on their tour, etc. Totally obsessed. That was about 2 years+ now since their album dropped, totally burnt out on that record now, but.. I wait for the day that they return with more.

I'd do 20 but this post is pretty long and rounding up is cheating..

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
5 - The Beatles 'Sgt. Peppers'
- The Moody Blues
- Old Motown and Atlantic

10 - Green Day
- Nirvana
- Rage Against the Machine
- Korn (that's right)

15 - Led Zepp
- Rage Against the Machine still
- Submethod
- A bunch of totally shit punk bands
- Outkast
- CCR (Credence)
- Slipknot (first record only)
- System of a Down (Toxisity)

20 - Neil Young (Prairie Wind dvd, 'Heart of Gold' live at the Ryman, watch that)
- Talking Heads
- Grateful Dead
- George Clinton
- Daft Punk
- Disco Biscuits
- Widespread Panic
- Tool
- Bela Fleck
- Pink Floyd (Pulse dvd), Momentary Lapse in Reason, Division Bell
- Buddy Guy
- Robert Johnson
- Robert Earl Keen
- Hank Williams Sr.
- Old and In the Way
- Old Crow Medicine Show
- Chromeo
- Jurassic 5
- Granola Funk Express
- N.W.A. (Eazy-E mainly)
- Old Dirty Bastard and the rest of the Wu-Tang
- The Band (:buttrock:)
- Sha-Na-Na
- Dark Star Orchestra

I could go on and on, just for the 20 section. The 25 section will be ridiculous once I'm finished with that interval of my life.

Last edited:

Igniz v2

hahaha the PULSE dvd.. I remember being just stunned the first time I watched that. And the 2nd and 3rd.. Now I can't help but view it as like a bloated monster of a zombified band that may as well have been called "david gilmour's extremely dull cash cow" banging out a set of old classics that waters mostly wrote, and a bunch of new stuff that nobody wants to hear.

But.. the production is still basically 2nd to none. I don't even think daft punk do it up that big, their pyramid is not as big as it might seem in real life.

Marek

Banned
hahaha the PULSE dvd.. I remember being just stunned the first time I watched that. And the 2nd and 3rd.. Now I can't help but view it as like a bloated monster of a zombified band that may as well have been called "david gilmour's extremely dull cash cow" banging out a set of old classics that waters mostly wrote, and a bunch of new stuff that nobody wants to hear.

lol so much fail in one post.

New stuff that nobody wants to hear?? By that I must assume you mean nobody wants to hear renditions of 'Learning to Fly' and 'Take it Back' that are totally revamped and slay the studio versions?

Those are two of my absolute favorite songs, so I guess I'm one of those nobodies. And I would go see Gilmour's touring act in a half a second if I had to choose between him or Waters.

lol zombified band. 'Coming Back to Life'/'Sorrow' is so fucking sweet on that dvd. Every song is fucking sweet. I just dont understand how you can talk so much shit when almost every song has twice the energy of the studio versions. 'Run Like Hell', 'Us and Them'.

You're just jaded. And you are too young and have been to not enough concerts to be talkin' that way. :shame:

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
Pulse dvd tracklist

Disc One:

1. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (Concert version) (Gilmour/Waters/Wright)
2. "Learning to Fly" (Gilmour/Moore/Ezrin/Carin)
3. "High Hopes" (Gilmour/Samson)
4. "Take It Back" (Gilmour/Ezrin/Samson/Laird-Clowes)
5. "Coming Back to Life" (Gilmour)
6. "Sorrow" (Gilmour)
7. "Keep Talking" (Gilmour/Wright/Samson)
8. "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)" (Waters)
9. "One of These Days" (Gilmour/Mason/Waters/Wright)

Disc Two:

1. "Speak to Me" (Mason)
2. "Breathe" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright)
3. "On the Run" (Gilmour/Waters)
4. "Time" (Gilmour/Mason/Waters/Wright)
5. "The Great Gig in the Sky" (Wright/Clare Torry)
6. "Money" (Waters)
7. "Us and Them" (Waters/Wright)
8. "Any Colour You Like" (Gilmour/Mason/Wright)
9. "Brain Damage" (Waters)
10. "Eclipse" (Waters)
11. "Wish You Were Here" (Gilmour/Waters)
12. "Comfortably Numb" (Gilmour/Waters)
13. "Run Like Hell" (Gilmour/Waters)

[edit] Special features

Bootlegging the Bootleggers:

1. "What Do You Want from Me" (Gilmour/Wright/Samson)
2. "On the Turning Away" (Gilmour/Moore)
3. "Poles Apart" (Gilmour/Wright/Samson/Laird-Clowes)
4. "Marooned" (Gilmour/Wright)

Waters is only solo credited with 4 of those songs. "banging out a set of old classics that waters mostly wrote". FAIL.

Igniz v2

lol.. later-period floyd really turns me off. anything the wall or after just has something or the other wrong with it.. the last 2 records I don't find very much redeeming value in at all.

I'd definitely go see Roger waters play dark side of the moon. But I just think that without him there's just no pink floyd the same way there's no pink floyd without wright now.

also Deuce.. not really. It was their first and still only tour in 10 years, everyone was hype on it.. sold out every venue, extremely positive reviews, so on. for fans of electronic music/dance music it's probably one of the best shows ever put on in terms of the complete package of music and visuals.

Last edited:

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
5-
The Coasters
Diana Ross and the Supremes
Ray Charles
James Brown
Willie Nelson
John Williams
Chuck Berry
The Temptations
Stevie Wonder

Growing up my dad would always play these artists, but The Coasters, Chuck Berry and Diana Ross were basically the soundtrack of my childhood.

10-
Lagwagon
The Offspring
Shaggy
Particle Man
Busta Rhymes
NOFX
Weird Al Yankovic
The Cranberries

Napster, I went apeshit finding new music and I loved it, I still can't remember what I was listening to at the time these are just a few artists. At that time if I heard a song I liked, I would hunt it down and download everything I could find from that artist.

15-
The Clash
Big Audio Dynamite
Carbon/Silicon
Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros
Otis Redding
Curtis Mayfield
Toots and the Maytals
Buddy Guy
Muddy Waters
Flashlight Brown
Agent Orange
The Libertines

High School, I bounced around musically as I started playing instruments for myself (I was press ganged into orchestra in third grade) but you could almost always find a copy of The Clash's self titled album (US version) and London Calling on my person.

20(my current age)-

The Clash and their later stuff still
Junior Brown
Paolo Nutini
Babyshambles
KRS One
The Rakes
Johnny Cash
The Shadows

I can't comment yet, this is just what I have found myself listening to this year.

Marek

Banned
lol.. later-period floyd really turns me off. anything the wall or after just has something or the other wrong with it.. the last 2 records I don't find very much redeeming value in at all.

You aren't even 20 years old. Listen to the lyrical content of Division Bell and Momentary Lapse sometime when your heart and mind hurt from the confusing unfairness of the human condition.

edit: I rarely use age as a point in a discussion, but sometimes you need to live a little before certain things make sense. The past 4 years have been so ridiculous. I talk less shit now and my opinions are more carefully considered.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
5-

Didn't listen to music when I was five.

10-

Didn't care about popular music, but I really enjoyed the soundtracks to Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back

15-

Van Halen
Motley Crue
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath (Dio)
Iron Maiden

20-

Springsteen
U2
Prince
Dylan
The Police
Peter Gabriel
Genesis
Guns n Roses
Metallica

Last edited:

Igniz v2

You aren't even 20 years old. Listen to the lyrical content of Division Bell and Momentary Lapse sometime when your heart and mind hurt from the confusing unfairness of the human condition.

edit: I rarely use age as a point in a discussion, but sometimes you need to live a little before certain things make sense. The past 4 years have been so ridiculous. I talk less shit now and my opinions are more carefully considered.

Nothing on division bell stacks up to the likes of Animals.. Dogs is a lyrical and musical triumph.. Learning to Fly.. well, I wouldn't say the same.

Marek

Banned
Learning to Fly.. well, I wouldn't say the same.

Studio version suxorz.

As far as that song goes its Pulse or nothing.

I saw the Australia Pink Floyd Experience recently and they were absolutely sick. They have a Pule style lightshow with a circle and Floyd official concert videos sometimes. They have even sat in with the band, played at Gilmours birthday party, and got a whole bunch of other love from the band which is more than any other tribute band can say. They also played a lot of obscure songs and did some in the jam styling of the Pulse dvd.

All they were missing was lasers... pretty crucial imo. But they had soul sisters who were money. So its all good.

edit: How old are you anyway, 18, 19?

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
5- I only had access to the music styles my parents listened to and they were old school country for my father and whatever pop crap hit the air waves in the mid 80's for my mother. Needless to say, I saw no reason to pay any attention to music as an art form. I just saw it as what I was forced to ignore on long car rides.

10- See above. At this time I listened mostly to comedy records, yes records.

15- Discovered there was another brand of music that appealed to younger audiences around 13 or so. By 15 I was an avid listener of Soundgarden, Tool, Ministry, Alice in Chains, Metallica, Slayer and Pink Floyd. I also used to listen to some Thrill Kill Kult, Skinny Puppy and Frontline Assembly when I played video games.

20 and beyond- The CDs that stay in my car or home systems are pretty much Tool, Perfect Circle, Floyd, Led Zep, old Metallica, Alice in Chains and Disturbed, but 90% of the time I listen to talk radio over music because it keeps me more active mentally than something I have heard thousands of times before just playing in the background.

I feel I have stagnated musically since what I listen to now is very similar to what I wanted to hear in my mid teens, but ever since rock turned into the rap/rock concept and hip hop took over I really haven't found many bands that interest me. Perhaps the next step in musical evolution will get me back on board.