4-Slot issues

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I've had my 4-slot for a year and a half now and pretty much play the same games for months at a time. Today I was going to switch a few out and the 4-slot is more trouble than I recall it being before... Certain new games dont seem to play, or play with sound or graphic glitches in them in certain slots.

It's hard to give exact examples because in trying out different games I cant seem to find any sort of pattern to it...except for that alpha mission 2 plays fine in all the slots. All the initial games I had in played fine in their slots also. However they dont all play fine in certain slot combinations. Certain combinations have vertical lines in the display, no sounds, scrambled sound, select button skips a slot entirely, inverted colors ect. I've eventually found a combiniation of new games that works fine in all the slots, but it's really kind of an annoying process to go through...

Anybody have similar problems??

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Clean the contacts of the carts, most of the time that will solve the problem.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I gave them another cleaning today after about a year of them sitting on the shelf and had limited success. It seems odd but it's like some slots just refuse to play certain carts, weird. After about an hour of switching carts around I finally got the 4 slot to accept samurai showdown, metal slug 2, zed blades and art of fighting. Whew.

mhkohne

n00b
10 Year Member
I gave them another cleaning today after about a year of them sitting on the shelf and had limited success. It seems odd but it's like some slots just refuse to play certain carts, weird. After about an hour of switching carts around I finally got the 4 slot to accept samurai showdown, metal slug 2, zed blades and art of fighting. Whew.

You may need to give the motherboard slots a cleaning as well. I'm getting the impression it's not USUALLY necessary, but I'd say it's a good next step for your case.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Clear your Back Up Ram Memory,it helps make things work.(it work wonders)I usually have to do it after changing carts around a few times..

Yes,certain game line ups just won’t work..Some games just don’t want to be in the mobo at the same time as others,I call it MVS Game incompatibility..I have experienced this for years with many games,unfortunately many times I can’t have the line up I want in the cabs..(most of the time you’ll lose sound in a game or the whole cab itself..,skips a game..I have experienced graphical glitches also due to MVS Game incompatibility
For instance,If I line up four carts,Double Dragon being one of them with say KOF 2002..I’ll lose the sound in one of those two games,I’ll take the game with no sound out clean the crap out of the contacts with scotch brite and 91% alcohol..pop it back in,.. same thing..move it around in the slots and either it or the other game loses sound,I’ll remove either game and put something else in the other two slots and then these two games may work right then..It’s crazy and I could never narrow it down to it being because of one game..If I don’t put in Double Dragon and KOF together and just use one with another three games then everything is fine....

And as I understand it the carts megs make a difference on to what game will start first no matter what’s in the first slot..a game in slot to may start first due to meg size.

Cleaning game contacts very well will make them work properly ..If I don't clean my games contacts they slide into the mobos slots to tight and I know they are not going to work or work right..Dirty contact carts put a lot of stress on the mobos contacts too..
Giving the mobo contacts a good cleaning too is always good to do...

Clear back up ram memory info here..page 6
http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/MV-1.pdf
Hardwate test.....press a,b.c together at the clear back up ram screen

Last edited:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Yep that sounds exactly like the problems I was getting, thanks for the RAM memory tip, I'll try it out after work later today and see if it clears a few more things up!