The first time you heard/found out a system called Neo Geo existed

LordCollector

New Challenger
Can you recall the first time you heard/found out of the existence of the Neo Geo. For me it was back in 91' or 92'. At that time the 16 bit generation was still fairly new and the latest video game craze. Anyway a friend of mine had a Genesis when I only had the 8 bit NES and SMS. So he brought over his Genesis and we were just playing it and I was just blown away by the graphics since I was still use at that time with the 8 bit systems and had no intention really of buying the next gen. Anyway at some time in the night while we were playing I just go something like man it would be awesome if there was a system that was exactly like the arcade. And he goes yeah there is it's called Neo Geo and he probably said something about how it was really expensive. Anyway months after that I finally got my AES in 92 and the rest is history. What's your story?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It had to have been in an ad in EGM or similar magazine. I remember the bulldog and hot dog ads, not sure which was first.

NeoEsteria

n00b
Yeah, I remember ads in EGM and the like. I assumed that it was just another "obscure" console that I couldn't afford and probably didn't have games worth playing anyway. In other words, I assumed it was something along the lines of the CD-I.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
during elementary school, there was a bowling alley by my place with air hockey, final fight, Street fighter II and a 2 slot big red

metal slug and puzzle bobble

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I was living in Fremont CA and frequented a game store called Knights Video Games. The owner , Tony, was about to trade a Panasonic 3DO system for a game system called Neo Geo. He was playing Fatal Fury.

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3
It had to have been the Hot Dog Ads in the early 90's, if not that then in those word puzzle games where you won all this cool stuff. The Electronics Boutique I went to had one and I would go in just to stare at the box. It was placed over the employees only door furthermost from the front of the store so it was practically hidden.
ugr01.jpg

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I discovered it because of playing Street Fighter II in the arcades and seeing Samurai Shodown around there. First time I ever saw an AES was at an old video game rental shop I lived near, remember seeing $200+ games and wondering how the hell anyone could possibly afford that thing.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It had to have been the Hot Dog Ads in the early 90's, if not that then in those word puzzle games where you won all this cool stuff. The Electronics Boutique I went to had one and I would go in just to stare at the box. It was placed over the employees only door furthermost from the front of the store so it was practically hidden.
View attachment 25840

I've never seen that level of Magician Lord. Pretty sure SNK would have been sued for stripping out a level from Sinistron.

LordCollector

New Challenger
Don't you feel like the Neo Geo when it first came out in the early 90's was like a coloured TV in the late 50's, early 60's. That's definitely something I can think of that it was equivalent.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
View attachment 25840
SWEET MOTHER OF GOD

that is the ultimate 90's gaming "rig"

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
View attachment 25840

Funny that they would give you a Sega Genesis, and a Turbografx16, but a Japanese Super Famicom? shouldn't it be a North American Super Nintendo?

MrMark0673

n00b
The first time I ever saw the home console was on Nick Arcade (I can't be the only one). Absolutely blew my mind.

Had a goldie with Sam Sho II and Bust a Move at the bowling alley by my house I used to play all the time, and a King of the Monsters II would cycle in every once in a while, but Nick Arcade was the first time I saw or heard of the AES.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Funny that they would give you a Sega Genesis, and a Turbografx16, but a Japanese Super Famicom? shouldn't it be a North American Super Nintendo?

If you'll notice the contest deadline is 9/28/91. SNES was released on 8/23/91. Those ads ran for months. And were most likely submitted months before they were published. So, that pic was taken before the SNES was released and they'd need to use a SFC for the pics even though they probably gave a SNES away.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
The first time I ever saw the home console was on Nick Arcade (I can't be the only one). Absolutely blew my mind.

I first saw it on the "Video Power" game show. It would be sitting in a pile of systems/games at the end of the Prize Round maze. Before that I only knew that Neo Geo was an arcade platform since I only saw it in arcades. Never saw one in person until about 2004.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
View attachment 25840
Were these ads for winning the gaming rig a scam? Or at least it was really hard to last until the end and win? So, a lot of people entered, but hardly anyone won? Usually, those kinds of contests were only for American residents, so I wasn't really interested at the time.

Last edited:

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
I was living in Fremont CA and frequented a game store called Knights Video Games. The owner , Tony, was about to trade a Panasonic 3DO system for a game system called Neo Geo. He was playing Fatal Fury.

I remember Knights Video Games. I think I went there a few times once upon a time. I lived peninsula side though so didn't get to go to Fremont all that often.

Last edited:

NeoEsteria

n00b
Holy crap. Dat 90s gaming rig. If I had that set-up I think I could spend the rest of my life playing those four consoles and nothing else.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
View attachment 25840

I want a TV like that for my AES

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Some game review in EGM (which I always had to buy at the train station because they had international magazines)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
First Neo thing I ever played was Fatal Fury, it had the Neo Geo intro and then Samsho and World Heroes. It wasn't until a year later that I hear about the Neo Geo home console and it wasn't until a few years later that I manage to get to play it.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
i found out about the console i believe in 2008 when i was watching a review on youtube and i saw some gameplay on the king of fighters 94 and instantly gave me a flashback from when i used to play the shit out of that game at the swap meet around 98-99. saw some other cool games for it and made the purchase in july of 2009.

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3
i found out about the console i believe in 2008 when i was watching a review on youtube and i saw some gameplay on the king of fighters 94 and instantly gave me a flashback from when i used to play the shit out of that game at the swap meet around 98-99. saw some other cool games for it and made the purchase in july of 2009.

2008? Man, it seems pretty hard to have avoided mention of the console that long. Are you really young? On the plus side finding out about an awesome console like the AES in 2008 must have been an eye-opening experience.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
2008? Man, it seems pretty hard to have avoided mention of the console that long. Are you really young? On the plus side finding out about an awesome console like the AES in 2008 must have been an eye-opening experience.

Things are different outside north america man, specially central and south america. We didn't have video game magazines loaded with ads and stuff like that when we were kids. You knew a game was good from word of mouth or 'cause you had the chance to play it at a buddy's house. Rentals were scarce, times were different. Once the internet became more accessible, I think lots of people became aware of things they had no idea about. I also ran into Neo through arcades at first and didn't know there was a console until later.

Last edited:

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I first saw the neo geo on a UK tv show called Gamesmaster back in 1992. The AES was never actually offered for sale in Ireland so I was resigned to seeing it only in magazines or on tv or the arcade. I purchased my first AES console in 2000 when I was 22 (better late than never) I now own a Neo Geo MVS 4 slot lowboy and wouldn't be without it :)