Debios Chip - What is it?

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I recently bought a Japanese NEO GEO AES from a US owner.

This NEO GEO AES has a Debios Chip
Was it that? :scratch:

I've see a lot of talk about the Universal BIOS and I know what it does but I would love more details on the Debios Chip.

I've notice that it will display English text for Japanese games but I don't know anything else about it yet.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Do you mean "Debug bios?" That was something that was out before Raz created the Unibios. It has a lot of similar functions, like accessing softdip settings and changing the region.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
That's a good question. I don't know if it's short for Debug bios. But that does make sense.
Do you know anywhere I can read more about Debug bios?

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Thanks Guys. I really appreciate the help. This is excellent info.
So it is the Debug BIOS that I have. It sounds like the Universe bios is better but the one feature that I really wanted is to be able to play games in English. Which I can do with this Debug BIOS. I'm really happy to have this.

Now I just needs lots and lots of money to buy some more games.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Cool. That's pretty interesting.
Is there a way to tell if my NEO GEO AES is a SNK original development unit?
Are people able to re-flash a bios (like a modern PC) or is it more likely that someone soldered on a new bios that they wrote the Debug bios to?

If it is an original development unit would that make me an instant NEO GEO AES Elite?!! :glee:

...despite the fact that I don't have a single game that cost more than $100?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
You been here how long? Search function does wonders.

Cool. That's pretty interesting.
Is there a way to tell if my NEO GEO AES is a SNK original development unit?
Are people able to re-flash a bios (like a modern PC) or is it more likely that someone soldered on a new bios that they wrote the Debug bios to?

If it is an original development unit would that make me an instant NEO GEO AES Elite?!! :glee:

...despite the fact that I don't have a single game that cost more than $100?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The odds of you having a AES dev unit are extremely low... Considering the Neostore sells Debug BIOS install kits...

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I've made 12 posts (13 now). So if it isn't clear to you NeoDogg I haven't been here long.

Before coming here I searched google for debios and NEO GEO and I didn't find anything. Yes, clearly the information is out there but I didn't find it.

And when I searched this form the results were a bit garbled and looked something like this:

DeBIOS.png

So I started a new thread. Don't be put out.

I wanted to chat and meet people just as much as find my answer.

So... good to meet ya NeoDogg!

You been here how long? Search function does wonders.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Yes, I agree. I'm sure it's modified. But it does offer some cool features. I'm glad I have it.

Do you have a modified NEO GEO? Do you find you use its features a lot?
I worry a bit about having the ability for unlimited lives or anything that might make beating a game too easy.

The odds of you having a AES dev unit are extremely low... Considering the Neostore sells Debug BIOS install kits...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I worry a bit about having the ability for unlimited lives or anything that might make beating a game too easy.

There is a discipline with having the ability to complete a game with fewest continues and have access to unlimited continues.

I usually play arcade games with one shot and see how far I can go, and if I'm really focusing on the game hardcore, I'll try to play that 1CC over and over to get further. I only pump the credits in if it the first time experiencing the game and I want to see all of it now instead of patiently waiting to get better at it.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yes, I agree. I'm sure it's modified. But it does offer some cool features. I'm glad I have it.

Do you have a modified NEO GEO? Do you find you use its features a lot?

No I only have stock AES systems, a JPN and USA one.

Most people don't know this, but the Neo Geo memory card allows basically unlimited credits. When you run out and get a game over, you will be asked if you wish to save your progress to the memory card. Just select yes, then start the game again, load from memory card and continue where you left off, with all new credits.

The Debug BIOS just means you can do this easier without having to buy a memory card. You'll also "retain" your high score more easily, but the AES can't save high scores without a UniBIOS anyway, so it's pointless.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
send some good maple syrup and I 'm sure things will smooth out...

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
There is a discipline with having the ability to complete a game with fewest continues and have access to unlimited continues.

I usually play arcade games with one shot and see how far I can go, and if I'm really focusing on the game hardcore, I'll try to play that 1CC over and over to get further. I only pump the credits in if it the first time experiencing the game and I want to see all of it now instead of patiently waiting to get better at it.

Assuming an unmodded AES; do some games allow unlimited lives and or continues and other not? Or are all AES games just like the arcade and allow you to keep adding "credits".
I noticed in the DeBIOS options that there is a mode for MVS or Home. Which makes me think it must be changing the difficulty setting or tweaking things like lives and continues.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
No I only have stock AES systems, a JPN and USA one.

Most people don't know this, but the Neo Geo memory card allows basically unlimited credits. When you run out and get a game over, you will be asked if you wish to save your progress to the memory card. Just select yes, then start the game again, load from memory card and continue where you left off, with all new credits.

The Debug BIOS just means you can do this easier without having to buy a memory card. You'll also "retain" your high score more easily, but the AES can't save high scores without a UniBIOS anyway, so it's pointless.

I didn't know that about the memory card. I bought one just cause I thought I would need it for regular game play. And I like having whatever components I can for the system.

I also didn't know the system was not able to save high scores. I never considered it. That's too bad. But I think I'll stick with the AES I have.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Assuming an unmodded AES; do some games allow unlimited lives and or continues and other not? Or are all AES games just like the arcade and allow you to keep adding "credits".
I noticed in the DeBIOS options that there is a mode for MVS or Home. Which makes me think it must be changing the difficulty setting or tweaking things like lives and continues.

Unmodded, most games have a limit of 4 credits. There are some exceptions, like the slugs will allow for 5 credits, and some games are unlimited. You can use a memory card to save data and reload, effectively giving you unlimited credits. You may be able to go into the dipswitch settings and change the number of lives, but a lot of those settings only work on MVS mode.

Now, if you're in MVS mode, anything goes. All of the softdip settings will work so you can adjust lives, difficulty, blood, etc, and give yourself all the credits you want.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Unmodded, most games have a limit of 4 credits. There are some exceptions, like the slugs will allow for 5 credits, and some games are unlimited. You can use a memory card to save data and reload, effectively giving you unlimited credits. You may be able to go into the dipswitch settings and change the number of lives, but a lot of those settings only work on MVS mode.

Now, if you're in MVS mode, anything goes. All of the softdip settings will work so you can adjust lives, difficulty, blood, etc, and give yourself all the credits you want.

Thanks GohanX. I think I'm going to try and go the discipline route and keep the system out of MVS mode. Almost all the fun is lost if you win a game because of unlimited lives.

I'm still happy that I have the ability to play Japanese games in English. That's excellent.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Even though I have the DeBios Bios I was thinking about changing it to the Universe Bios.

Since I know my AES has previously been modified I thought (I hoped) there was a chance that a socket might have been installed on the PCB. I was thinking if that was the case I could order the Universe Bios and install it myself and not have to mail away my AES.

So I went ahead and opened my AES. It's clear to see where the S-Video (1 solder point has fallen off) and Stereo ports were added but the BIOS chip looks too neat and clean to have been soldered in by hand. Could it be that someone did this good of a job?
First I need to confirm that the chip I'm looking at is the BIOS. I believe it's the one labeled: AT27C1024 70PC 0346 <-- Highlighted in Red. Is that correct? If not which one is it?

Neo Geo AES - Full (red highlight).jpg

I tried to have a look at the bottom of the board but after taking out an additional 13 screws (5 to open the case) something near the joystick ports is still holding on.

I think I'll try to fix the one solder point for the s-video since it's not even on the PCB. I don't think I can screw up too bad!

View attachment 14545

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yep, the chip you have circled in red (SP1) is the BIOS. It's a One Time Programmable EPROM, or OTP EPROM. Basically, it's an EPROM without the window, so there's no way to erase it. I don't think SNK ever used those, it will have been installed by hand.

I'd offer to socket the BIOS for you as I'm in Canada too, but I sliced some of my right thumb off in an accident a couple of days ago, I can't solder for a while.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Yep, the chip you have circled in red (SP1) is the BIOS. It's a One Time Programmable EPROM, or OTP EPROM. Basically, it's an EPROM without the window, so there's no way to erase it. I don't think SNK ever used those, it will have been installed by hand.

I'd offer to socket the BIOS for you as I'm in Canada too, but I sliced some of my right thumb off in an accident a couple of days ago, I can't solder for a while.

Hope for a speedy recovery for you man

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
If I'm lucky, I'll keep all of my thumb but won't have any feeling in the severed part. So far there haven't been any complications. Thanks for the well wishes. :)

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member

Man that sounds serious! I hope you're alright and I hope you get as close to 100% recovery as possible. It must still be very sore.

Thanks for the details on the bios and the offer. This forums is amazing for quick replies!

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Man that sounds serious! I hope you're alright and I hope you get as close to 100% recovery as possible. It must still be very sore.

Thanks for the details on the bios and the offer. This forums is amazing for quick replies!

I would offer to do it here, but shipping costs between the USA and Canada are not exactly the best.