NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

jalpert

n00b
370 owner here. I do NOT want to open the unit up. My goal is unlimited continues. Tonight I achieved that goal, but what a pain. My SD --> MicroSD adpter isn't working, so I built a bigger one. That fine soldering isn't the issue, it's trying to cram the card back together. Anyway, I built 2 adapters, one to hook Ninja Masters to the PC to copy, the other to hook a Sd --> MicroSD adapter into the Neo Geo. I injected the Universe Bios per the instructions on this site. It defaults to Europe MVS, I can't seem to get into the menu. L1 & L2 change the aspect ratio, R2 & R1 don't pause they add credits.

At least, after the rom is loaded, I can remove the SD so I don't have to play with that ugly and annoying thing coming out the side.

photo.JPG

Last edited:

Lan Di

War Room Troll
Banned.

Anyone else?

xROTx

Mods, you need to seriously consider editing those links so they cant be clicked or seen. Banning that moron is only half the job.

BTW, jalpert, excellent work! :D

Last edited:

BloodShed

New Challenger
And can the NGX recognize SDXC cards; or only SD and SDHC?
I picked up a couple microSD cards recently, and I can finally answer your question.

Using an adapter, the NGX will read SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards. I tested with a 2GB microSD, 32GB microSDHC, and 64GB microSDXC. As mentioned previously, it supports ext3 as well as FAT32.

Now, if you'd like to use an SDXC card, it's a little tricky for Windows users. Windows will not allow you to format removable media larger than 32GB with FAT32 (even at the command line). Unfortunately, the NGX did not support exFAT or NTFS (not even as read-only). So, you'll need a third-party solution to format the flash card with FAT32. I had to format my card in Unix. Once formatted, Windows will not complain about reading/writing to it.

What is pin 2 on the SD adapter used for in relation to the micro SD card?
I'm not sure which pin 2 you're asking about (SD or microSD side). Perhaps this is better? Cyan shows the existing wiring for an adapter:

adapter2.png

Anyway, I built 2 adapters, one to hook Ninja Masters to the PC to copy, the other to hook a Sd --> MicroSD adapter into the Neo Geo.
Very nice! Where did you end up getting the ribbon cable and SD socket?

I have one 337 and one 370 unit. I just ordered a lot of 10 microSD sockets. I'm probably going to attempt to replace the Samsung chip in the 370. The sockets are from China so it's going to be forever before they arrive though.

Last edited:

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
370 owner here. I do NOT want to open the unit up. My goal is unlimited continues. Tonight I achieved that goal, but what a pain. My SD --> MicroSD adpter isn't working, so I built a bigger one. That fine soldering isn't the issue, it's trying to cram the card back together. Anyway, I built 2 adapters, one to hook Ninja Masters to the PC to copy, the other to hook a Sd --> MicroSD adapter into the Neo Geo. I injected the Universe Bios per the instructions on this site. It defaults to Europe MVS, I can't seem to get into the menu. L1 & L2 change the aspect ratio, R2 & R1 don't pause they add credits.

At least, after the rom is loaded, I can remove the SD so I don't have to play with that ugly and annoying thing coming out the side.

photo.JPG

As ugly as it is... I LIKE IT! I've been trying to think of an idea that would work like that, but I have no time to put into actually doing it because of my school work. But, that is what I need to get my hands on.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Question: would it be possible to take Jalpert's design and use it to copy a ROM from your computer over to a SD card with the pins swapped, or would the data still corrupt along the way?

jalpert

n00b
I've been thinking about that. Mr. Whitefolks has a simple and easy way of doing it without swapping pins. Well, if you're not swapping pins that mean you're doing it with software. We know we can use software to reverse the pins, is it possible to write the data to a normal card in such a way that it thinks the pins are reversed.

The big problem, you can remove the SD card for most roms. But I was playing and if you remove the SD card the unit quits back to the main menu. Playing with that ribbon cable in sucks.

Also, modifying those adapters really sucks.

I did get into the menu, I was pressing a+b+c during the game, needs to happen during the splash screen.

I REALLY want to keep this thing, I hope Mr. Whitefolks comes forward. All he's going to do is save us a lot of time and effort.

Question: would it be possible to take Jalpert's design and use it to copy a ROM from your computer over to a SD card with the pins swapped, or would the data still corrupt along the way?

Last edited:

Demitri1983

Cheng's Errand Boy

photo.JPG

Where did you order your sd extender? I was looking into doing something of this style design. Good work.

BloodShed

New Challenger
When I attempted to do that, I could not write to the card properly from the PC, using the adapter. If I attempt to format, it simply corrupts the card and fails.

jalpert

n00b
Maybe there is an imaging program out there, or a utility that is capable of doing it. Hopefully Mr.Whitefolks chimes in.

When I attempted to do that, I could not write to the card properly from the PC, using the adapter. If I attempt to format, it simply corrupts the card and fails.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
There is no other way. Mr. Whitefolks is taking you guys for a ride. If there were truly an easier way, Im certain all of you guys would have figured it out by now. You guys are very smart and work very hard at this kind of stuff. All he wanted to do was stir the pot.

jalpert

n00b
10+ years, 11,000+ posts, 100% feedback. Why would he start being a dick now?

There is no other way. Mr. Whitefolks is taking you guys for a ride. If there were truly an easier way, Im certain all of you guys would have figured it out by now. You guys are very smart and work very hard at this kind of stuff. All he wanted to do was stir the pot.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

...For Grins?

Whatcha gonna do? Ban him?

xROTx

PS. On a side note lads... Mr White Willy prob knows more about coding and weird Tech stuffs than any man I know... sure does make it interesting... doesn't it lads?

Yea, I can easily believe him (and admire his reasons for withholding), it's just driving me crazy trying to figure it out. :)

daranus

Banned
Yea, I can easily believe him (and admire his reasons for withholding), it's just driving me crazy trying to figure it out. :)

I can second that :D One thing is to be able to play every Neogeo game on there right now which would be awesome but the other thing which bothers me even more is that there is a way and I can't think of it!

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Hi

You guys shouldn't be using the adapter to write data to a sd card, unless for some reason you are re-writing your ninjam sd card.

Write your normal data to a normal sd card, then plug the normal sd card into the adapter and into the ngx.

-ack

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
I don't doubt his technical prowess and its no dig at him personally but if you knew information like that but didn't want to share because you assume it would be used for nefarious purposes, why let everyone know that you know? I dunno. To me it seems like a weird game of internet/mental keep away or something. BTW good job guys. It never ceases to amaze me what you can do.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member

I'm not fucking with anyone and I am (for now) keeping it quiet for several reasons. I've not replied to inquiries or posts directly to me about it. I've had several PMs asking me about it. Several people have attempted to bait me a bit (which I think this post was an attempt at), I'm not that stupid or careless.. so you can stop that nonsense right now.

I've had more than my share of technical contributions here and to the greater arcade collecting community. I don't ask for "credit", a pat on the back or acknowledgement for that work if that's what you guys think I'm getting at... in fact, I almost always specifically ask to not be named or credited for my work or contributions. Plenty of members can attest to that. I don't get off on seeing my name attached to anything.

:kekeke:

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I don't doubt his technical prowess and its no dig at him personally but if you knew information like that but didn't want to share because you assume it would be used for nefarious purposes, why let everyone know that you know? I dunno. To me it seems like a weird game of internet/mental keep away or something. BTW good job guys. It never ceases to amaze me what you can do.

No game or stupidity. I'm not that kind of troll and I don't troll when it comes to technical stuff.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
I'm not fucking with anyone and I am (for now) keeping it quiet for several reasons. I've not replied to inquiries or posts directly to me about it. I've had several PMs asking me about it. Several people have attempted to bait me a bit (which I think this post was an attempt at), I'm not that stupid or careless.. so you can stop that nonsense right now.

I've had more than my share of technical contributions here and to the greater arcade collecting community. I don't ask for "credit", a pat on the back or acknowledgement for that work if that's what you guys think I'm getting at... in fact, I almost always specifically ask to not be named or credited for my work or contributions. Plenty of members can attest to that. I don't get off on seeing my name attached to anything.

Then why let on that you know such information when clearly you are aware of the fruits of such statements. No dig at you man. I don't know you from adam but I was just curious as I noticed that since that initial post you have remained silent.

jalpert

n00b
Mr. Whitefolks:

I'm one of those PMs you haven't responded to :-) Just two things I want you to understand, we are all excited to have this unit and pirates are going to pirate with or without you.

I know you think that you're doing a good thing by holding this back, but in the long run it's really just a bunch of people spending extra money and beating their heads against the wall trying to make this a viable unit. I know, I'm one of them.

I don't want to return the unit, I want to recommend it to several of my friends who I've told to hold off. I want to buy official games, I want to do all that, but unless you spill the beans, I can't speak for anyone else here, but I have to wash my hands of this thing.

Unless someone beats you to the punch

In the mean time, I have my SD --> MicroSD in my c-clamp with the glue drying. I verified with a multimeter that everything is wired right, if I could just keep the thing shut and it works I'll be happy. But I don't want to have to rely on the jenky adapter I made, I just want to play a stupid 20 year old game on my $200 retro console with continues!!

Then why let on that you know such information when clearly you are aware of the fruits of such statements. No dig at you man. I don't know you from adam but I was just curious as I noticed that since that initial post you have remained silent.

In his situation I would want to tell everyone but would be afraid of getting sued, so there's that.

Enrym82

n00b
Hi everybody, maybe i'm saying something stupid, but did anyone try with MMC card instead of SD card ?