Blast City Club

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I actually really like Skate BTW, did you guys know he helped me out allot with a Sega Genesis composite sync problem I was having. I followed his advice which was spot on... So if he says "shut the fuck up" well I guess I'm going to take that advice as well (even tho I don't feel expressing my personal view was in any way wrong).

To be a grown up and "use my words," OPs in japan swap panels all the time. Every shipment of sega cabs I've seen imported has had mix and match panels; I have a blast with an astro panel, a net city with a 1p blast panel, and a net city that (now) has a NNC panel on it. The entire rest of my cabs are all original JP spec stuff, so sweating the overlays seems petty. That's all I was tryin' to say dude.

RoadBuster

Crossed Swords Squire
my buddy got some new stuff for his blast.

FA Nippon mesh tops , matching buttons and overlay.

15214870903_3f18bf1269_c.jpg

the overlay is from Ken @ thegameroom , 26$ shipped . It's almost 2x as thick as Gameongrafx overlays, but the print is less detailed ( maybe due to the grainier finish ? ). He has 4-5 different designs. include original blast design.

15810652856_fba71f9124_c.jpg

Jesus this is slick...

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
the blast is "JVS ready". the cabinet i/o doesn't translate inputs into the JVS protocol, it just aggregates all inputs/sound/video/yourmom/etc so you can use different looms with them. the Jamma/JVS loom still uses a jamma connector for inputs, but, it provides JVS power RCA/Stereo connectors too. So the jamma JVS io is needed to do the JVS encoding/decoding.

512MB... hmm I believe only a few naomi2 requires that.

Ah! Ok, everything is making sense! Some of the setups I'd seen were confusing to me up until now.

What about multiple boards? Do you guys have any preferred ways to keep a number of boards connected and switch between them easily? Or is it better to keep it old fashioned? Most Jamma switchers I've seen are pretty shoddy, but I've seen some people use VGA switchers and such in their cabs before.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Ah! Ok, everything is making sense! Some of the setups I'd seen were confusing to me up until now.

What about multiple boards? Do you guys have any preferred ways to keep a number of boards connected and switch between them easily? Or is it better to keep it old fashioned? Most Jamma switchers I've seen are pretty shoddy, but I've seen some people use VGA switchers and such in their cabs before.

I wouldn't waste money on a switcher, only because every time I change a board I usually have to adjust vertical and horizontal to some extent on the monitor, so seems kind of pointless for me at least. Also on the switchers I saw they kept the other boards powered even when not in use so seems like added wear and tear. I am not sure about using a vga switcher though, if you were running vga consoles I would imagine adjusting screen size would be a non issue and would be beneficial. Im guessing there are different types of jamma switchers though so maybe someone else can confirm how they work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
because every time I change a board I usually have to adjust vertical and horizontal to some extent on the monitor

^ this

+ certain games require voltage adjustments.

you'll have a switcher anyways, it's called netbooting :lolz:

Westcb

^ this

I got two cabs netbooting, I do recommend that ;-)

Last edited:

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
So what's it sound like when the power supply is about to go out on a blast? Sort of like a grinding type thing?

I put the cabinet on its back last night to flip the monitor for the first time. It worked great and powered it up today and got this noise.

I'm wondering if something may have fallen in the power supply cage when I moved it? Everything works as it should. Just much louder than it should be

I'm hoping I just knocked the fan out of alignment or something simple like that.

Last edited:

Westcb

So what's it sound like when the power supply is about to go out on a blast? Sort of like a grinding type thing?

I put the cabinet on its back last night to flip the monitor for the first time. It worked great and powered it up today and got this noise.

I'm wondering if something may have fallen in the power supply cage when I moved it? Everything works as it should. Just much louder than it should be

Just pull the fan and clean it, if it's still noisy replace it you can use any pc case fan that's the same size, you may have to snip the connector on some and just solder the other one in its place. I replaced all three of mine as one was ragged out and the other two were noisy. I used some led fans off amazon which made it look pretty neat, but they are lining the wall so I don't see it anyways :-/

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I wouldn't waste money on a switcher, only because every time I change a board I usually have to adjust vertical and horizontal to some extent on the monitor, so seems kind of pointless for me at least.

^ this

Makes sense, and of course there is another type of switching too! The darksoft kind :buttrock:

Last question, and this one is a bit out there, has anyone run any online clients like GGPO on their blast with something like arcadeVGA? Or just through plain old VGA?

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Makes sense, and of course there is another type of switching too! The darksoft kind :buttrock:

Last question, and this one is a bit out there, has anyone run any online clients like GGPO on their blast with something like arcadeVGA? Or just through plain old VGA?

Jpac + soft15khz. Force a low windows resolution through your graphics card and keep soft15khz running. Pretty good.

I ordered this one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C120QZY/ with option 2 on the connector, no cutting required.

Awesome. I'll order it.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member

GGPO looks cool I'll have to try that out !

I just do plain old VGA. my bios boots in vga, windows is set vga, all emulators and games are set to vga. no hassle. I don't want scanlines in SFIV anyways...

if you don't have the autosync ms-2931 , I doubt you want to enable with switchres in mame, or you'll need to fuck with dip switches every time mame starts/stop

- You'll want a jpac anyways. quickest and best way to wire up the blast to a pc.

- soft15k works good IF you can get it to work. it's a pain in the ass unless you have certain specific video cards brand/models... and since it only works once windows boots up, it doesn't keep your monitor safe if your motherboard bios displays 1024x768 or whatever. The latest arcade vga handles that and will run SFIV @ 60fps will all gfx options turned up.

- another issue to worry about with, at least for the ms-2930, if your video card requires EDID from the monitor, it will no detect the monitor and won't show anything. I use an nvidia 6800gt but we tried some newer radeons in my buddy's blast and they would not work..

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I use an AMD x1300, I think. It was 5 bucks off eBay. Definitely won't play modern games though.

The bios display gets split by the jpac before windows boots up. Are you saying it's still possible it's harming the monitor even if the 31khz is sectioned off into 15khz before windows loads?

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
I use an AMD x1300, I think. It was 5 bucks off eBay. Definitely won't play modern games though.

The bios display gets split by the jpac before windows boots up. Are you saying it's still possible it's harming the monitor even if the 31khz is sectioned off into 15khz before windows loads?

nono you're good, the jpac does it's job of splitting the horizontal frequency signal properly. Just curious. Do you have an ms2930 that you keep @ 15khz ?

with the jpac you set multiple acceptable frequencies , so it won't split VGA if you want to use both vga and cga, the problem arise with higher resolutions, which is used in newer BIOSes, the jpac cant handle them and garbage is displayed on the screen.

1024x768 is 68.7 KHz
800x600 is 53.7 KHz

TBH I have never heard a definitive answer as to whether or not it can damage a monitor circuitry. given the cost/rarity of nanao parts, I'm not taking any chances... :lolz:

Last edited:

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Yeah I keep the switches at 15khz on the blast with that, although I usually will play horizontal games on the NNC.

They're running from a Pentium D era Mame machine.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I messed around with a ArcadeVGA card for a while (infact I've still got it, PM me and its yours for 25$)... I found it was way more trouble then it was worth.

It was a pain to use/configure under Windows 7, and didn't work at all in 8. I flatout refused to install XP on my 4ghz i7 3770k, my mobo hasnt even got drivers for that dino old crap.

The easiest/best solution for 15khz-MAME on a Blast (or any other arcade machine for that matter) is the Ultracade UVC. You dial it in once and thats it! Everything input (VGA 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768) is filtered to the same (15khz 320x240) output.

The only real flaw is sometimes your scanlines look perfect, and sometimes they are wrong... It really depends on how the PC/MAME scales up the original resolution before you knock it back down.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
So all your games are played in 320x240 or does it allow mame to change to the correct case-by-case resolution?

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
So all your games are played in 320x240 or does it allow mame to change to the correct case-by-case resolution?

MAME can set the input rez/pre-scaling only, the output to the CRT is always 320x240@15k with a UVC... Which is both a blessing and a curse.

Blessing because once dialed in you never need to change any settings on the CRT ever, no matter how many different games you play. You can also run any flavor of Windows or hardware like a Xbox 360 without fear of sending too high a signal and damaging the chassis.

The curse is the scanlines dont always match up to where they would have originally occurred. This can create a warping effect most noticable on low rez text.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
GGPO looks cool I'll have to try that out !

Yeah it's great! It's not really supported anymore as a platform anymore, but there are recent branch offs from it that are still supported, such as fightcade, which has mac and linux compatibility and has lobbies in place for more games. Seems like there is almost always someone on there ready for some Windjammin!

I think I'll try just plain VGA at first. Probably won't bother me if I'm only using it when I'm playing online. My issue with emulation has always been that it's a pain in the butt to get working just right, and even then it never feels perfect. Basically I'm too lazy for emulation Lol.

It really is too bad there's no way to netplay with old arcade PCBs!