Recommend me the best 80s anime

unitone

n00b
also angels egg is absolutely beautiful if you are looking for something a bit different

lkJcQO

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I just finished Zeta Gundam tonight. That was a pretty depressing ending...

The series was pretty awesome. The only thing I had much of an issue with is how referential it is to 0079. Kamille = Amuro, Jerid = Char, Fa = Frau, Argama = White Base, etc.

Also, I thought the whole shikigami / glowing shit towards the end was a little too wide. I know it's sci-fi, but it seemed a bit cliché, even though it's vintage anime.

I'm kind of confused about what happened with Axis. I thought they had sided with AUEG, but all of a sudden they were fighting with Scirocco? And what the fuck happened with Kamille?

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
No AEUG lost their chance with Axis when Quattro/Char flipped out on Haman.

There is a ton of parallels with 0079 but I think it is only to show how war goes in cycles. Jerid/Char is kind of a stretch though.

Kamille...

Spoiler:
Well. The Zeta Gundam has a psyonic amplifier that enhances a Newtype's power. When that power is already very strong the feedback can be bad. Kamille basically cooks his mind during his final battle. Watch ZZ Gundam for what happens to him later...

fake

15 Year Member
No AEUG lost their chance with Axis when Quattro/Char flipped out on Haman.

There is a ton of parallels with 0079 but I think it is only to show how war goes in cycles. Jerid/Char is kind of a stretch though.

Kamille...

Spoiler:
Well. The Zeta Gundam has a psyonic amplifier that enhances a Newtype's power. When that power is already very strong the feedback can be bad. Kamille basically cooks his mind during his final battle. Watch ZZ Gundam for what happens to him later...

Yeah, I was going to say... "maybe it's commentary on how history repeats itself."

I figured Jerid = Char just because they're constant rivals with Kamille / Amuro.

OK, I totally missed that about Kamille at the end. Is there any way to watch ZZ Gundam other than shitty fansubs or paying out the ass? Has it been officially localized? I've looked everywhere for it.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Paying out the ass would only get you a Japanese release without subs. Unfortunately, it's not out with English subs. I'd really, really like to see it get released in the US... Turn A Gundam seems to be next in line for the R1 treatment.

fake

15 Year Member
Paying out the ass would only get you a Japanese release without subs. Unfortunately, it's not out with English subs. I'd really, really like to see it get released in the US... Turn A Gundam seems to be next in line for the R1 treatment.
:crying: Weak. I'll probably pick up Char's Counter Attack and War in the Pocket for now. What's "R1" mean?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I liked ZZ a lot as a kid in the '80s but going back to it now, great stretches of it are hard to watch. I'd like them to get around to bringing it out here someday, but I don't think the Z series did too well for Bandai here, and ZZ is NOOOOOOOOOOWWHHHHHHHEEEEERRREE near as good as Z, so I can understand their reluctance. For the most part, it's kind of skippable anyway. Pretty much the only thing someone would wonder going directly from z to Char's Counter Attack would be where did Hamman go.

Turn-A is a hundred times better a series than ZZ. I'm looking forward to that with good subtitles. I'll probably pre-order it if it's reasonably priced.

And R1 means Region 1, aka a domestic US release.

fake

15 Year Member
OK, I'll skip ZZ and just look online for info on Hamman. But what about Stardust Memories. That one came out over here. I'll probably hold off on Turn A since I'm trying to stick with UC for now. F91 and Victory came out here too. Should I stay away from either of those?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
OK, I'll skip ZZ and just look online for info on Hamman. But what about Stardust Memories. That one came out over here. I'll probably hold off on Turn A since I'm trying to stick with UC for now. F91 and Victory came out here too. Should I stay away from either of those?
Victory came out here? When?

And Turn-A actually could be said to be possibly loosely related to UC, so don't write it off. Plus, it's one of the Tomino shows.

Stardust Memory takes a lot of flak, and actually, I remember hating it when it first came out. But I rewatched it late last year and really enjoyed it this time. The only thing you have to keep in mind going into it is that the ENTIRE CAST is unlikable. Definitely no one on the Federation side is the slightest bit interesting or likable. And the hero, Kou, is possibly the least likable character in the entire OVA...possibly the entire franchise...although he battles for the title of least likable with the female lead, Nina. The closest anyone gets to being the slightest bit interesting, sympathetic or likable, is Gato, the antagonist. But still, all that said, I enjoyed it this last time.

F91 is very underrated, imo. It's set decades after Char's Counterattack, and (at least prior to Unicorn) has probably the best animation of the franchise's entire history.

The main knock F91 has against it is that it was originally planned to be a full 50-episode series but then was decided to be made into a movie instead. So the story is very condensed, and some changes with the characters happen very abruptly. But if you watch it keeping in mind it was supposed to be spread over a much greater length of time (and if you mentally add maybe a few months of passing time between scenes in a couple places), I think it is a very good movie.

Victory is EXCELLENT. But depressing. It almost makes Z Gundam feel like light comedy in comparison. But it's very good, it's a Tomino Gundam series, and it's the end of the UC timeline, so don't skip it.

If I were you and just coming off of Zeta, I'd watch Char's Counterattack, F91, and then Victory. Then I would go back and watch the various non-Tomino UC Gundam series like War in the Pocket or Stardust Memory. But it's the Tomino stuff that forms the core story and is all the best stuff that fits together.

fake

15 Year Member
Oh shit, my bad. Amazon took me right to F91 even though I typed in Victory Gundam... Weird! Now I'm upset. I definitely want to see that one.

I'm going to rewatch Bubblegum Crisis or Eva (I still haven't opened my Platinum Collection box) then order Char's Counter Attack and F91. After I recover from the ending of Zeta that is... Yikes.

Edit: I'm guessing this is bootleg: http://www.force-anime.com/mobile-suit-victory-gundam-complete-series-3957-p.asp

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
That and the region free part, as well as there being way too few discs for such a long series.

fake

15 Year Member
Any thoughts on Layzner? I downloaded the first 4 fansubs to tide me over before I buy more Gundam.

Also, I just got my Gunbuster revoltech figure in the mail. :glee:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That and the region free part, as well as there being way too few discs for such a long series.
Yeah, if you are getting a legit domestic US release, each disc might have 4 or 5 episodes on it if you're lucky. If it's a legit Japanese import release, you will pretty much never get more than 2 episodes on a disc. And if they do deign to give you 2, you better fucking say thank you, sirs, that makes it only $45 per 22 minute episode -- what a bargain, your Supreme Generousnesses. If you look at the price and your immediate knee-jerk reaction is not "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUU, YOU BLOOD-SUCKING, CARPET-BAGGING, HEARTLESS, FOUR-FLUSHING, SPOTTY-LIPPED SONS OF BITCHES," then it is not a legit Japanese release.

fake

15 Year Member
Over the last month I've watched Char's Counter Attack and War in the Pocket. Both were pretty depressing. I'm going to order Stardust Memories and F91 soon.

What's the best way to watch the UC series that never got translated (ZZ and Victory)?

Also, I got to see a ton of Ghibli movies on film in a theater. One was The Ocean Waves which doesn't get played much at all in the west. It was great - I'm surprised it hasn't been turned into a shitty American romantic comedy.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

I bought this DVD few months ago, and I believe it was the best release available at this time.

It's worth watching IMO. Superb animations, settings and characters. It's full of cheesy funny lines, and the story is kinda meh, but the unique settings make up for it, especially considering the price and the short length. In fact, I wished they made a couple of few more episodes when I finished watching.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I love this thread; we should have a 70's one, too.

@ fXs...you watch any Crusher Joe yet?

1983's Crusher Joe: The Movie is the bizness.