mortal kombat 9 doesn't look like complete crap. yet.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Rasim Delić;3049569 said:
Yeah, its kind of like MvC2 in that regard. There's a lot of shit wrong with the game but it all just kind of balances out (so to speak) and the game ends up being better for it.

I know you are writing in english, and the words themselves each have a meaning, but the words strung together, in that particular order, completely lose their meaning. The effect is similar to: "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

broken = broken = broken

There are shit games that I like too, but they're still shit even if I like them. Just because you like a particular game, it doesn't automatically stop being shit because you like it.

If you have a shit sandwich, no matter how much hotsauce you put on it, it's still a shit sandwich.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
umm... you didn't really make any actual point with your post.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
There are shit games that I like too, but they're still shit even if I like them. Just because you like a particular game, it doesn't automatically stop being shit because you like it.

Well, first of all its not just me I'm talking about here. I haven't played UMK3 in probably close to a decade if not longer. However the game does enjoy a fairly healthy competitive scene.

Second of all, why are you talking like I'm trying to convince anyone that they should like UMK3? I don't give a shit if you like it or not. My point was that on paper this game should have died within a year due to its problems but it has somehow remained a somewhat popular competitive game, which is also how I see MvC2. Only Marvel actually remained very popular.

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
I am excited for this one, looks like a new style game spreading back to the roots.....I must say I got a lil excited to see new fatalities :buttrock:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
people dont like umk3 or mk2 because its not street fighter.

that and for a very long time between like 4 and now it wasnt cool to like mk and people still hang on to that belief.

umk3 also has the misfortune of not receiving a good port.

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
Well, first of all its not just me I'm talking about here. I haven't played UMK3 in probably close to a decade if not longer. However the game does enjoy a fairly healthy competitive scene.

Second of all, why are you talking like I'm trying to convince anyone that they should like UMK3? I don't give a shit if you like it or not. My point was that on paper this game should have died within a year due to its problems but it has somehow remained a somewhat popular competitive game, which is also how I see MvC2. Only Marvel actually remained very popular.

:buttrock:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
This thread is now about people that are not fighting game fans at all.

Guilty Gear - Broken, huge fanbase, highly competitive in the day.
Melty Blood - Ditto.
3rd Strike - Completely broken in many circumstances. Unblockables? In SF? Seriously? Huge fanbase, highly competitive.
MvC2 - Completely broken in many circumstances. Huge fanbase, highly competitive.
Tekken - Mostly broken. Unbalanced. Unfinished in most iterations. Huge fanbase, highly competitive.
SSFIV - Mostly broken. Unbalanced. Unfinished. Unblockables? In SF? Seriously?
Garou - Really? Not even touching this.
Dead or Alive - Completely broken in most circumstances. Huge fanbase, highly competitive (in it's day, of course).
Soul Calibur - Completely borked, huge fanbase... I think they still play it professionally around the world, ya?

Virtua Fighter - Balanced, tuned, rarely broken. Small dedicated fanbase. Highly competitive. No media coverage.

Clearly, most of the people that have posted in this thread so far have never been a fan of fighting games at all.........

Edit: I forgot to mention - I'm buying pre-pre-preordering this game and masturbating while I do it.

Long live the B-movie-become-fighter!

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The worst Tekken game ever made is better than the best Mortal Kombat game ever made. Hell, even the worst DOA is better than the best MK.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
That may be true - but dismissing everything that's "broken" as "shit sandwiches" is just funny.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
You know...ugh forget it. I've explained what "broken" actually means too many times on this site.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue

Melty Blood - Ditto.
3rd Strike - Completely broken in many circumstances. Unblockables? In SF? Seriously? Huge fanbase, highly competitive.
MvC2 - Completely broken in many circumstances. Huge fanbase, highly competitive.
Tekken - Mostly broken. Unbalanced. Unfinished in most iterations. Huge fanbase, highly competitive.
Dead or Alive - Completely broken in most circumstances. Huge fanbase, highly competitive (in it's day, of course).
Soul Calibur - Completely borked, huge fanbase... I think they still play it professionally around the world, ya?

Virtua Fighter - Balanced, tuned, rarely broken. Small dedicated fanbase. Highly competitive. No media coverage.

Clearly, most of the people that have posted in this thread so far have never been a fan of fighting games at all.........

Edit: I forgot to mention - I'm buying pre-pre-preordering this game and masturbating while I do it.

Wow... Any doubts I had about you being a complete drooling idiot are now washed away. Well done, moron.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Well, I understand what he was trying to say with that post, I think. And if he's saying what I think he is then I actually agree with him for the most part. But I hate misuse of the word "broken" in terms of fighting games. Every game is unbalanced. Few, if any, popular fighting games are truly broken.

And when was Tekken ever released unfinished?

Last edited:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Radovan Karadžić;3049807 said:
Wow... Any doubts I had about you being a complete drooling idiot are now washed away. Well done, moron.

:shame:

I will try to rectify this ASAP.

How could you go wrong with this sequel to MK? It's even made by someone that is two-degrees-of-separation from the genius Tobias who brought us Tao Feng - the most brilliant fighter of all time!

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Supasaru: you have no idea what you're talking about. Far too many people toss around the word broken when it comes to competitive fighting games. Or is your definition of "broken" equate to "I can't win with my mediocre knowledge of the system so the game is deemed unplayable, thus being broken.

But for the sake of entertainment, I would like to know what's so "broken" about some of those games you mentioned. Namely Guilty Gear, Tekken, and 3S.

O.

Reality Check

World Hero

Melty Blood - Ditto.

Your retardation has amused me

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Justifying asking what is broken about 3S, Tekken and Guilty Gear is like asking me to prove why you get wet when it rains....

If you really need to, go check out Youtube for glaring, cracking mechanics. Or, as necessary, you can even head to Gamefaqs if you level of understanding in the mechanics of those games is that lacking.

The goal of every fighting game is to provide a competitive experience for both players. Rarely do I ever imagine designers thinking, "You know what would be awesome? If we put a few infinites in here for 3 characters. Fuck the rest of the characters - I like this one best! If we give infinites to two more, maybe players will think it's a feature and defend it on forums in the middle of the night!"

Last edited:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Justifying asking what is broken about 3S, Tekken and Guilty Gear is like asking me to prove why you get wet when it rains....

So it should be easy for you to give specific examples then. Tell us in your own words, don't expect people to go hunting for examples of your arguments. I have never seen anyone use an infinite in Third Strike or Tekken (referring to Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion since it is the current version of the game). If they exist in the games, they are not competitively viable. Your sarcasm does not cover your obvious lack of knowledge about any of these games.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Rasim Delić;3049839 said:
So it should be easy for you to give specific examples then. Tell us in your own words, don't expect people to go hunting for examples of your arguments. I have never seen anyone use an infinite in Third Strike or Tekken. If they exist in the games, they are not competitively viable. Your sarcasm does not cover your obvious lack of knowledge about any of these games.

Ok. Play dumb. I don't care.

Infinites were one example. Not all games had infinites. It made the most sense to use infinites as an example rather than... say... unblockables. Unblockables were a feature and a strategic option in Third Strike, Soul Calibur and Tekken. It would be dumb to use unblockables as an example.

So here's my pointlessly deconstructive and somewhat offensive contribution to your pointlessly deconstructive and somewhat offensive contribution.

Things like 'obvious lack of knowledge' when we haven't even bothered to cover any of these games in any sort of meaningful manner clearly defines your intention in not making a constructive discussion, but rather proving some superiority. So flex your superiority and discover the obvious on your own time. There are countless numbers of youtube videos - really, do I need to find a FAQ for you on how to use that? Start a new thread on fighting game mechanics if you want to continue this.

Point being - MK will most likely be broken. Many other fighting games are already broken. I loves me some Guilty Gear. It's broken. I loves me some Arc 'Fist of the North Star' - it is absolutely broken. I loves me some UMK3 - completely broken. MK9 will most likely be broken - bring it on.

Hey, genius: That's one degree of separation. Not two.

Only if you were playing with Boon or Tobias.

Last edited:

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre

Infinites were one example. Not all games had infinites. It made the most sense to use infinites as an example rather than... say... unblockables. Unblockables were a feature and a strategic option in Third Strike, Soul Calibur and Tekken. It would be dumb to use unblockables as an example.

So here's my pointlessly deconstructive and somewhat offensive contribution to your pointlessly deconstructive and somewhat offensive contribution.

Things like 'obvious lack of knowledge' when we haven't even bothered to cover any of these games in any sort of meaningful manner clearly defines your intention in not making a constructive discussion, but rather proving some superiority. So flex your superiority and discover the obvious on your own time. There are countless numbers of youtube videos - really, do I need to find a FAQ for you on how to use that? Start a new thread on fighting game mechanics if you want to continue this.

Point being - MK will most likely be broken. Many other fighting games are already broken. I loves me some Guilty Gear. It's broken. I loves me some Arc 'Fist of the North Star' - it is absolutely broken. I loves me some UMK3 - completely broken. MK9 will most likely be broken - bring it on.

Only if you were playing with Boon or Tobias.
you still haven't bothered to provide evidence to your argument.

a google search for "third strike broken" will yield results that support that statement. conversely a search for "third strike balanced" will do the same.

however this isn't about what the rest of the internet thinks. unless you're simply saying the things you are because you go with whatever someone else on the internet thinks, in which case i suppose you've said all you can.

quit arguing semantics in a discussion about literal game mechanics.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
So flex your superiority and discover the obvious on your own time.

Or you could just link me to one single video show examples of Third Strike being broken. Or Tekken 6. I have a feeling I'll just get another response with a lot of talking but not actually saying anything.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Start a new thread on fighting game mechanics if you want to continue this.

however this isn't about what the rest of the internet thinks. unless you're simply saying the things you are because you go with whatever someone else on the internet thinks, in which case i suppose you've said all you can.

quit arguing semantics in a discussion about literal game mechanics.

This is actually a discussion about MK9. Look at the topic.

Rasim Delić;3049849 said:
Or you could just link me to one single video show examples of Third Strike being broken. Or Tekken 6. I have a feeling I'll just get another response with a lot of talking but not actually saying anything.