iPad: who got one?

Baseley09

Hair Group,
I really don't hate apple. If anything I'm in awe over their marketing and ability to get people to shell out $$$$$ for shit that has no or even less advantages over cheaper products.

You can get 2 decent net books with a real operating system, 10" screen, usb drives, 160 gig HD etc. etc.. for the price of one of those supersized iPods. At least with a netbook you can set it on a table and type at a comfortable angle not all hunched over. But I'm sure Mr. Jobs has a titanium holder and bluetooth keyboard in the works that will set it up in a traditional laptop pose, and charge an additionall $199 for.

There are the optional keyboard dock and angled protective holder for such purposes.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC533LL/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTcyMTgxODY

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU2Mjc&mco=MTcyMTgxNTk

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
If anything I'm in awe over their marketing and ability to get people to shell out $$$$$ for shit that has no or even less advantages over cheaper products.

I definitely get a kind of "cult follower" vibe from the more vocal Apple patrons.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Yeah you know, some people even spend truckload of money into paper art sheet called 'insert' and clamshell plastic cases for games you can get waaaaaay more cheaper (if not for free) in a dozen of tother ways.

Welcome to NeoGeo, btw. I, for one, I'm into AES. :)

And, BTW, I'm ready to trade with american fellows AES cart doubles I have here for an iPad, which I can't get here (and when I will be able to, it will be priced unbelievably higher...) :)

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i honestly thought this thing was like $3-500.

its an ipod in a bigger format. it should be cheaper to manufacture if anything. less r&d for the design, less testing as the iphone and touch have been out, not to mention economy of scale. its all the same shit right?

even if none of thats true. $5-830? good lord. this is clearly marketed at the more money than sense crowd.

with the growing mainstream popularity of netbooks i cant imagine this doing very well.

the ipad is a fluff device plain and simple. you can use a netbook for that and productive work.

not to mention the completely closed application platform. (over a thousand apps! and only a handful that are any good.)

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Shito's name came up in a conversation I was having recently with another member of this site. We were talking about what members on this site are actually dangerous in real life, like honest to goodness threats to their communities. People with messed up morals or who would/could do harm to others.

Shito being an admitted pedophile was one of the first things that came up. He's one of the few members here who admits to being a danger to his community. People conveniently forget/forgive that about him.

I think he's a sick fuck. Just sayin'

I couldn't agree more.

I'm not really a fan of pedophiles (that's putting it mildly). If we just loaded them up into a bus and shoved said bus off a cliff, I'd be pretty cool with that.

The whole forget/forgive attitude regarding him is mildly disturbing considering how some people were outraged by what Waseem allegedly did, yet seem to be curiously MIA on the resident pedophile here.

Mrandersonjr

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Chill out, dude. You know, it's not that anyone if forcing you, or anyone else, to buy one.

I know,it's just all the hype i keep hearing over it. Seriously,like I said before,Fuck Apple for charging money for something so stupid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-YAQ1wfNqc
Look at these homos try to push the Ipad up our asses. Anyone who knows their shit about technology will tell you,what happens if that thing gets dropped? Oh,it's apple you have to go to an apple store and either make sure it is covered by apple care,OR pay out the ass for your already expensive product.But wait,it's REVOLUTIONARY! Oh no it's just a big fucking Itouch. but as homo #2 says YOU DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT,YOU JUST REACH OUT AND TAP. Dude,tablet pc's have been around for years.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Shito's name came up in a conversation I was having recently with another member of this site. We were talking about what members on this site are actually dangerous in real life, like honest to goodness threats to their communities. People with messed up morals or who would/could do harm to others.

Shito being an admitted pedophile was one of the first things that came up. He's one of the few members here who admits to being a danger to his community. People conveniently forget/forgive that about him.

I think he's a sick fuck. Just sayin'

I would have said wizkid.

Remember that forum he had (has?) where he was basically practicing psychology without a license?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I must really be lost, because I don't even know what you're trying to imply. :scratch:

Oh, okay. I googled it. Apparently, Apple moved backwards from a programmable PowerVR chipset to a fixed-function ARM Mali. Wtf? Okay, sorry, I expected too much from them.

Nothing really, just that the Texas Instruments OMAP CPU, ARM based, that has been in mobile phones since 2005 (in such phones as the Nokia N93/N95) has a dedicated GPU. The OMAP chip in the latest rev of devices, notably the ARM Cortex A8, is what has been running several mobile computers/phones including the iPhone 3GS, Nokia's N900, Palm's Pre, Samsung's i8910, and etc. Samsung looks to be the first to drop the new Cortex CPU, code named Hummingbird, into their next Galaxy. It's going to be a S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 producing about 90 million triangles/sec. I guess what I was trying to get at is having a GPU in a portable device is definitely not something new, but I wouldn't discredit it either.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
My only gripe is the difference in price for the amount of storage space. These things should be upgradeable by the user with SD cards/Pro Duos ..etc. No different than MS with their bullshit HDD upgrades for the 360. I understand the price being high since it is new. However, I can wait for a price drop to test drive one. For someone who was die hard about having one of these at launch, I cant knock them for paying out the ass for it. No different than me with all these expensive ass homecarts. We all pay to play for whatever it is we are truly interested in.

Phillip

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
How is the iPad revolutionary? It's an evolution of an existing product, a laptop, it's not revolutionary in the least.

an iphone is not a laptop. it's more a combo of the iphone and an e-book reader (neither of which were meant to replace laptops)

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I can do all of the things a net book can do

Play Diablo 2? nope
Use an external hard drive or any other USB device? nope
Upgrade it? nope
Watch a DVD? nope
Burn a DVD? nope
Run photoshop? nope
Play Mame? nope

I can keep going :lolz:

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I definitely get a kind of "cult follower" vibe from the more vocal Apple patrons.

Oh, that's true. I worked for Apple not too far back to open a store out here on the Strip and there were a number of employees that just had that vibe about them. They had Apple tattoos and everything. Though, it's a good way to get employees that will shill the product when you pull from the cult.

It was an interesting experience, but I'm glad I quit that place. It's just regular retail bull disguised as a 'fun' place to work. Salespeople don't get paid extra for selling protection plans and there's no commission. Fuck that, especially since some of the customers I had ate up a lot of my time.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's a common defense mechanism to make excuses for something you just threw down 700 bones for.

BTW: OMG I'm posting this from my Blackberry. Difference is, I got mine for free and can even watch YouTube.
You can watch youtube from an ipod touch/iphone. I'm not sure what made you think you couldn't.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
You forgot Jedah is extremely stupid, thats why.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Who Knows, When Apple first presented the Macbook Air, everybody laughed...

Last Fall, Netbooks were the rage.

So I can't totally hate on the concept. Tho somebody will probably make a better touch tablet.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
Did you just give Apple credit for inventing netbooks?

Also, they didn't just invent the tablet.

Last edited:

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
Also, they didn't just invent the tablet.

they didn't, but they are the ones that are making people want one. they are taking a nintendo like approach, instead of marketing and trying to sell to a hard core gamer (in this case techie gearwhores) they are trying to get everyone and their mom to have/play one.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I've been an early adopter in the past, but this time I'll wait 'til they include some connectivity options.

Actually, I've been feeling really limited by a lot of Apple hardware lately. I'm beginning to really resent that I can only use their products in the manner very narrowly defined by them (even though it helps to provide a great cohesive user experience).

I recently replaced my broken iPod Touch with an Archos 5 (I know, they have some major issues), and even the little bits of freedom other devices provide feel so good.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Nothing really, just that the Texas Instruments OMAP CPU, ARM based, that has been in mobile phones since 2005 (in such phones as the Nokia N93/N95) has a dedicated GPU. The OMAP chip in the latest rev of devices, notably the ARM Cortex A8, is what has been running several mobile computers/phones including the iPhone 3GS, Nokia's N900, Palm's Pre, Samsung's i8910, and etc. Samsung looks to be the first to drop the new Cortex CPU, code named Hummingbird, into their next Galaxy. It's going to be a S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 producing about 90 million triangles/sec. I guess what I was trying to get at is having a GPU in a portable device is definitely not something new, but I wouldn't discredit it either.

I'm well aware of that (I'm one of those nutjobs with a Pandora console on preorder). My point was that no one pays attention to those. With Apple trying to intrude upon the netbook market, Asus/MSI/Dell/etc will have to take notice.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Who Knows, When Apple first presented the Macbook Air, everybody laughed...

Last Fall, Netbooks were the rage.

So I can't totally hate on the concept. Tho somebody will probably make a better touch tablet.

The Macbook Air isn't a netbook. Also, it was released months after the Eee PC.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
You can watch youtube from an ipod touch/iphone. I'm not sure what made you think you couldn't.

Last time I tried my buddy's out, YouTube was a no go. May have changed with new revisions or his might have been screwy.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I really don't hate apple. If anything I'm in awe over their marketing and ability to get people to shell out $$$$$ for shit that has no or even less advantages over cheaper products.

You can get 2 decent net books with a real operating system, 10" screen, usb drives, 160 gig HD etc. etc.. for the price of one of those supersized iPods. At least with a netbook you can set it on a table and type at a comfortable angle not all hunched over. But I'm sure Mr. Jobs has a titanium holder and bluetooth keyboard in the works that will set it up in a traditional laptop pose, and charge an additionall $199 for.

They announced add ons like that when it was initially unveiled. I guess it's a nifty concept. Imagine disconnecting your laptop screen and taking it with you while getting most of the same functionality. In that regard it's pretty cool. However, the price point is pretty high and it lacks some key features. Also in all honesty I can't see a legitimate use for me (College/grad school) at this point. I mentioned before that if it had a camera it would be the next big thing for businesses to use, being able to conference call from anywhere, but that is sadly not an option. I'm also at a point where I am not desperate to have internet access everywhere I go. NG.com does not really need to be accessible at hip point 24/7