Official A/V Thread

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
Cleaning out my attic, I found an old pair of advent speakers. I'm pretty sure these are from the mid 70's or early 80's. They're pretty big, with wood cabinets and cloth speaker covers. They still work, but need to be refurbished...the treble seems to be fine, but bass makes a rattling noise... I'm wondering if it would be worth it?

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Cleaning out my attic, I found an old pair of advent speakers. I'm pretty sure these are from the mid 70's or early 80's. They're pretty big, with wood cabinets and cloth speaker covers. They still work, but need to be refurbished...the treble seems to be fine, but bass makes a rattling noise... I'm wondering if it would be worth it?
Sounds like you'll need to pick up a re-foam kit. They are cheap enough and easy to do, so yeah fix'em up. A lot of people love those old advents.
http://adventspeakers.net/

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Looking at new TVs, having a hard time picking something I like. Shoot me some recommendations in the 50-55" range.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Well, I wish I could say a pair by Acapella. They are a little outside my price range. Beautiful speakers; I have had the pleasure of auditioning a pair.

I will be getting a pair of Heresy III or the Cornwall III. I'm afraid the bass could be a little boomy with the Cornwalls in my small room; we'll see.
The Klipsch Heritage line is night and day different from the entry level products the company has to offer. All are built to order and handmade in the USA. IMO the only way to properly hear any of the speakers from the Heritage line is with tube amplification.

Your Mon got a great deal on those KHorns. If purchasing new today, a pair would set her back $9K. At only $400 put some cash into upgrades/restoration and some good tube gear; I promise you will both be very happy with that initial $400 purchase!

Sad how badly Klipsch gets beat up over their cheaper stuff online. The Heritage stuff is fantastic gear. My dad has had his Forte II's since I think about 93 or 94 when he worked for a Klipsch authorized dealer...several years before Best Buy ever picked up their cheap stuff.

In nearly 20 years, he has only had to have one of the woofers replaced due to the voice coil rubbing. These speakers can take tons of power and volume output before you start having issues. My parents would have a few beers and crank up some Pink Floyd or Dire Straits to ungodly loud volumes. It almost physically hurt to be in the same room with them going full tilt. However you never heard the speakers distort or show signs of power compression or have headroom issues.

If I had the money and was wanting to build a kickass home cinema, Klipsch Heritage stuff would be my #1 choice. Hands down.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I upgraded my streaming setup today. I sold my Squeezebox Duet and bought a Musical Fidelity V-Link. Now I am rid of jitter! I can still use my iPod Touch as a remote, now it's just iTunes that's playing the music directly instead of that squeezeserver and the Squeezebox.

5492206002_4f4b66319c.jpg

(Cat not mine)

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
I finally hooked up my AES on my 50" plasma but was wondering if anyone can recommend ideal settings (or as close to) for this system. I also have a PS3, 360 and a PC connected so this is my first SD connection. My system has Jeff's Neobitz mod and I connected through component.

Thanks!

Neo Ash

I finally hooked up my AES on my 50" plasma but was wondering if anyone can recommend ideal settings (or as close to) for this system. I also have a PS3, 360 and a PC connected so this is my first SD connection. My system has Jeff's Neobitz mod and I connected through component.

Thanks!

Do you have a HT pre/pro that can handle processing the video? That's what I do.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Any recommendations for some solid noise-canceling or studio headphones? Thinking under $150...

Neo Ash

Any recommendations for some solid noise-canceling or studio headphones? Thinking under $150...
WTF no reply to this? Sorry ookitarpanada, I haven't been on the forum in about two months....yeah I suck.

IMO...noise-canceling will be give the best sound. I'd recommend some closed cans. Grado is tops on my list. They have some good ones in your price range.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Been selling arcade games, and buying:

rpm4.jpg
Pro-ject RPM4
DSCN0593.jpg

As well as lots of expensive media to play on it :emb:

Last edited:

Neo Ash

Finally, Kernow got a turntable! Now, do you plan to purchase any tube gear…or ummm…valve kit as you UK guys call it?

Nice all Quad setup, a lot of value and performance in that rack.

I have considered a pair of Quad Classic II tube monoblocks.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'd like a pair of those. Maybe some valves down the line but solid state is just so reliable!

Having a mare with this turntable at the moment, need to adjust the rack a bit as it's a bit heath robinson with some card under the feet to level it.

Do you know anything about oiling them? I've just bought some oil on ebay, just drip a couple on the shaft and drop it in, turn it on and let it settle itself? That's what I've read anyway. Vinyl is a pain in the arse, I need to work out a proper cleaning procedure, how do you do it? It's definitely fun and addictive buying the albums though .. and erm, expensive :emb:

Neo Ash

I'd like a pair of those. Maybe some valves down the line but solid state is just so reliable!

Having a mare with this turntable at the moment, need to adjust the rack a bit as it's a bit heath robinson with some card under the feet to level it.

Do you know anything about oiling them? I've just bought some oil on ebay, just drip a couple on the shaft and drop it in, turn it on and let it settle itself? That's what I've read anyway. Vinyl is a pain in the arse, I need to work out a proper cleaning procedure, how do you do it? It's definitely fun and addictive buying the albums though .. and erm, expensive :emb:

There are some different schools of thought when it comes to oiling turntables. MY advice would be to consult the manual for your turntable. There is no single oil for all turntables. You do want to make sure to use the proper oil. We’re talking about low speed and friction, so it’s not something that has to be done a lot.

Be careful making adjustments. It is possible to damage the cartridge and or record with improper adjustments. Also, the adjustments can affect the sound. It would be worth the money to have a shop make the adjustments and service the table.

I have a hifi dealer and local record shop that offers record cleaning; they have a record vacuuming setup. Make sure you keep your records in fresh clean sleeves. Clean them before each play with a brush; the Audioquest carbon fiber brushes work well. Also use a proper stylus cleaner. If you have a good local hifi shop and you decide to take your turntable in for adjustments, ask them to show you the technique to clean the record with a brush. It’s easier to learn by watching them, than for me to type out an explanation.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm not sure it's worth buying new sleeves for records I paid a couple of pounds for, but maybe the more expensive ones.

Got a lot of cleaning products on the way and just aligned my rack properly, time to replace everything back on.

Still waiting for a longer interconnect for the turntable as the last one was about 3cm too short. The earth cable was pretty crummy too.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^Nice one kerneaux, welcome to the land of analogue :D

Personally, I just use an anti-static brush for cleaning.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Cool, I've noticed some of these albums are pretty fucked anyway so I'll practice on those.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've noticed some of these records are pretty scratched so I'll have a go on those. At present my digital playback is murdering the vinyl I'm afraid to say :emb:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
That table is nice Kern. (Just because it looks swank get a glass platter)

As far as as your SS setup playing analog stuff, yeah that's gonna happen. One reason I went with a dedicated hybrid setup.

It's a real nice digital setup but yeah.

PS: Don't buy scratched up albums dude. I don't give a fuck if it's your favorite album and it's only 2 quid. Look around and get a good condition record and absolutely do spend money to upgrade the inner sleeve.

Don't be a Wayne.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I do have a few that are in nice condition, those were about £13 each and first issues. Yeah I was looking at getting some sleeves eventually. I guess I can always upgrade some of them along the way. This shit is expensive.

Thanks for the help.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Don't know where else to put this but I'm well chuffed with these two
dotd.png

Goblin Zombi / Dawn soundtrack with poster.

Ween - The mollusk on super thick green vinyl :D
Ween+Box+Set+4.JPG

Last edited:

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
I've been blessed to find some great albums in near-immaculate condition at thrift stores, often under a dollar. I actually found a few yesterday while shopping at Goodwill, including a copy of Lou Reed's '74 live album Rock n Roll Animal ... still in its original shrinkwrap. I'm still debating on whether or not to just open the goddamn thing.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Anyone else a member of discogs? What a great site, I won't be buying from ebay anymore.