Taito Type X2 Hacked to run on Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Give me a moment while my mind is being blown here...

FUCKING ROM WHORES!!!!

As a serious anti-MAME, anti-ROM, and anti-emulation (antiemulationist?), as well as a pro-"play it on the goddamm original hardware, asshole!" nerd, this whole fucking thread makes goddamm my head hurt.

*sigh*

This is where the hobby fucking ends for me:

With all the new shit coming out natively on the PC, as opposed a dedicated board or other custom hardware (and "No" the stripped-down Dell Experions running Windows XP with arcade-to-USB, which Capcom uses to run StreetFighterVI.exe do not count), I can't fucking "collect" anything here.

With stuff on the Xbox/Xbox360 I could understand, even if the platform itself is half-a-step away from being a PC. I can still buy a physical disc to put on the shelf (and this way, the game's core gameplay will still work after some suit decides that the cost/benefit ration is too high to keep that particular game's online content-server operational), but it's not even that anymore.

The new gear is just a stripped-down commidity PC, security lockout dongle, an industrial flatscreen monitor, coinbox hardware, and an "arcade-style" enclosure with USB controls (I can't, in good conscience, call it a cabinet anymore. The "cabinet" is the PC's case.).

Correct me if I'm wrong; but I can't just buy the arcade machine software game (not the home PC version) by itself, like a regular software license? I have to buy the whole rig, shit PC, security dongle, and all, for $3000 take-it-or-leave-it? Right?!

So, if I want the "pure" arcade version (which is, ironicly, inferior to the "home" version), the choice is: either pay $3000 for the full setup, or download the unauthorized cracked version for free, with absolutely no fucking middle ground or grey area.

That's a "non-choice" for most of you, but not for me. The industry has basically made it illegal (or just prohibitively expensive) for me to be able to do this any more. Good job, guys! You could've made some money off of me, but you will make NONE now.

Fuck man, I should'a picked an easier hobby like stamp collecting or scale modeling or drug dealing or international terrorism...

Last edited:

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
You have issues. Deal with them.

You don't like gaming , you like looking at your shelf.

Go buy a new shelf.

By the way arcade versions are not inferior to the home versions .

For example SF4 has more detail than on ps3/360 . KOF XII doesn't have the annoying loading screens that pop up each round on ps3/360.

MoBoRoS

n00b
I saw videos on youtube about this leak but never got in to it cause its a waste of time atm since samurai sen also exists on the 360 and Continuum Shift is making its way In the US+EU on homeconsoles this year. There are extremely few roms dumped.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
You have issues. Deal with them.

You don't like gaming , you like looking at your shelf.

Go buy a new shelf.

Simple question: Have you played EVERY single ROM you've ever downloaded, or alternatively, do you intend to play EVERY single ROM you've downloaded?

Every game on my shelf I've played, or intend to play (for instance, games I bought for systems I don't yet own). It's not about collecting for collecting sake, but for (eventual) playing. I don't buy books to look good on my bookshelf, I buy them to read or for reference; to be used for their intended purpose. I don't own anything "minty" or have multiple copies, it's all there to be played.

...but the hook is: I want to do it ethically. If at all possible, I want to obey the law, but this new way makes it impossible (or stupid expensive).

That, my friend, is why I've always hated the MAME "scene."
There's something about "free" that breaks people's brains (cognitive blindspot?), it becomes all about hording shit you will NEVER play, it's all about your purely imaginary shelf of games on your HD. There are no ethics there: for the "users" who collect, which is all about e-peen waggling about collection size and rarity, and there's the "producers" who crack the games, where it's all about getting your ass kissed by the users.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
I should clarify this statement:

This is where the hobby fucking ends for me

What it does not mean is: I will stop playing and collecting video games, or I will stop buying arcade motherboards and buying or building arcade hardware.

What it does mean: my hobby is to collect arcade hardware and software built from 1985 to 2010; the JAMMA* era.

I am not interested in what comes post-JAMMA, arcade-wise, the ushering in to the Arcade-PC era is where my interest stops. Just like I don't care about any of the dedicated non-standardized pre-JAMMA stuff.

*or equivalent standardized arcade format/platform.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
So, if I want the "pure" arcade version (which is, ironicly, inferior to the "home" version), the choice is: either pay $3000 for the full setup, or download the unauthorized cracked version for free, with absolutely no fucking middle ground or grey area.

That's a "non-choice" for most of you, but not for me. The industry has basically made it illegal (or just prohibitively expensive) for me to be able to do this any more. Good job, guys! You could've made some money off of me, but you will make NONE now.

Fuck man, I should'a picked an easier hobby like stamp collecting or scale modeling or drug dealing or international terrorism...

Dude, you tell me what arcade hardware when it was absolutely brand new, wasn't stupid expensive? Hell, Naomi is almost 15 years old now, and when Radilgy Noir came out it "retailed" at $1k. 15 year old SOFTWARE, brand new costing a grand 15 years down the line. Why shouldn't SFIV etc run you a few grand? Not only is the software new, but so is the platform that runs it.

You're comparing 10-25 year old hardware to hardware still in its infancy and bitching that the new stuff is expensive.. What are you on..?

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Dude, you tell me what arcade hardware when it was absolutely brand new, wasn't stupid expensive? Hell, Naomi is almost 15 years old now, and when Radilgy Noir came out it "retailed" at $1k. 15 year old SOFTWARE, brand new costing a grand 15 years down the line. Why shouldn't SFIV etc run you a few grand? Not only is the software new, but so is the platform that runs it.

You're comparing 10-25 year old hardware to hardware still in its infancy and bitching that the new stuff is expensive.. What are you on..?

The difference is: you have rarity. With dedicated hardware, there can only be a finite number of boards created, pure software dosen't have that limitation, as long as you have the binaries you can create an unlimited number of copies. Software companies, likr Microsoft, know this and they try to say the (authorized) copy of software you own, isn't a copy at all, but a license to use that copy, and use things like DRM and license management schemes to control, or at least, limit unauthorized coping (which never. ever. work.).

The thing is: $3000 isn't buying you the machine, or the PC the software is running on, or even the software itself, all of which can can be substituted with cheaper or free (unauthorized) equivalents, but what you are buying with your $3000 is the DRM hardware dongle and nothing else.

So, you see, this is a DRM issue and not a hardware issue at all, because the way the scheme is set up: 1 dongle == 1 authorized copy, but I don't want to buy the dongle, it does nothing good for me and everything bad (if the dog eats the dongle, I'm out $3000 with a perfectly working but unplayable cab).

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Give me a moment while my mind is being blown here...

As a serious anti-MAME, anti-ROM, and anti-emulation (antiemulationist?), as well as a pro-"play it on the goddamm original hardware, asshole!" nerd, this whole fucking thread makes goddamm my head hurt.

*sigh*

This is where the hobby fucking ends for me:

With all the new shit coming out natively on the PC, as opposed a dedicated board or other custom hardware (and "No" the stripped-down Dell Experions running Windows XP with arcade-to-USB, which Capcom uses to run StreetFighterVI.exe do not count), I can't fucking "collect" anything here.

With stuff on the Xbox/Xbox360 I could understand, even if the platform itself is half-a-step away from being a PC. I can still buy a physical disc to put on the shelf (and this way, the game's core gameplay will still work after some suit decides that the cost/benefit ration is too high to keep that particular game's online content-server operational), but it's not even that anymore.

The new gear is just a stripped-down commidity PC, security lockout dongle, an industrial flatscreen monitor, coinbox hardware, and an "arcade-style" enclosure with USB controls (I can't, in good conscience, call it a cabinet anymore. The "cabinet" is the PC's case.).

Correct me if I'm wrong; but I can't just buy the arcade machine software game (not the home PC version) by itself, like a regular software license? I have to buy the whole rig, shit PC, security dongle, and all, for $3000 take-it-or-leave-it? Right?!

Great post. I feel the same way often, but we also have to be careful that we're not just fighting progress here. Getting angry that arcade hardware is now basically indistinguishable from a PC is kind of like getting angry that mp3s are replacing CDs. I personally like having a CD or vinyl collection because I tend to appreciate their contents more that way, as you point out, but it's progress. We have to deal with it. For every one of us who has trouble adapting to mp3s, there's probably 10 who love the unprecedented access it has allowed to music and have benefitted overall from it.

So it's not the end of the world. We still can collect the old arcade hardware, because it's better than emulation. We now can buy a console port that is, like you say, in some ways superior to the arcade version. It's a trade-off, we lose some things we love, but we gain in other ways.

I have no plans to buy the new motion controllers for the PS3 or 360, and in turn, none of the games designed for them. I imagine video games will continue to change until perhaps some day when they become beyond what I recognize as a game anymore. At that point I may stop buying new games altogether and just enjoy what I've collected over the years. But until then, I'll continue to enjoy the ride.

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Simple question: Have you played EVERY single ROM you've ever downloaded, or alternatively, do you intend to play EVERY single ROM you've downloaded?

Every game on my shelf I've played, or intend to play (for instance, games I bought for systems I don't yet own). It's not about collecting for collecting sake, but for (eventual) playing. I don't buy books to look good on my bookshelf, I buy them to read or for reference; to be used for their intended purpose. I don't own anything "minty" or have multiple copies, it's all there to be played.

...but the hook is: I want to do it ethically. If at all possible, I want to obey the law, but this new way makes it impossible (or stupid expensive).

That, my friend, is why I've always hated the MAME "scene."
There's something about "free" that breaks people's brains (cognitive blindspot?), it becomes all about hording shit you will NEVER play, it's all about your purely imaginary shelf of games on your HD. There are no ethics there: for the "users" who collect, which is all about e-peen waggling about collection size and rarity, and there's the "producers" who crack the games, where it's all about getting your ass kissed by the users.

I didn't play everything that i ve got. Obviously.

But see, the day i want to play some random strip poker arcade game from the 90's or the newest shooter from Cave , i will be able to . And i will just have to connect my sanwa stick , double click on the game and there it goes.

Free didn't break my brain , or it was broken already. Fact is that i think your brain is broken for thinking that having 100 is worse than having 2 , just because you will only probably play 2 and not 98 .

And the day you want the other 98? Might be too late or maybe not, but i m sure at least i can decide anytime what to play.
This didn't stop me from buying a few early 90's boards that i wanted to have for fetish/nostalgia reasons.

Hey if i had the money and the space to collect all the mame romset , i would! Think about MJ's basement arcade, just bigger.
That doesn't mean that i am having less fun playing emulators.

I m GLAD they exist , or many of these games , especially the ones that were produced in limited units , would have been unplayable unless you were rich and had the right connections . And that is a loss for gamers , i think.

Last edited:

fubarduck

n00b
Bit of a moot point since BBCS is the only leaked title on this platform.

New arcade hardware has been largely Windows PC based since around 2001, not 2010. Nothing has really changed at all in the past 10 years as far as ROM dumping/emulation goes.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
The difference is: you have rarity. With dedicated hardware, there can only be a finite number of boards created, pure software dosen't have that limitation, as long as you have the binaries you can create an unlimited number of copies. Software companies, likr Microsoft, know this and they try to say the (authorized) copy of software you own, isn't a copy at all, but a license to use that copy, and use things like DRM and license management schemes to control, or at least, limit unauthorized coping (which never. ever. work.).

The thing is: $3000 isn't buying you the machine, or the PC the software is running on, or even the software itself, all of which can can be substituted with cheaper or free (unauthorized) equivalents, but what you are buying with your $3000 is the DRM hardware dongle and nothing else.

So, you see, this is a DRM issue and not a hardware issue at all, because the way the scheme is set up: 1 dongle == 1 authorized copy, but I don't want to buy the dongle, it does nothing good for me and everything bad (if the dog eats the dongle, I'm out $3000 with a perfectly working but unplayable cab).

Now I get what you're complaining about. Can't really say you're terribly off-target either. I'd somehow gotten you were merely complaining about the price tag, not what the price tag was for. If my dog ever ate my dongle I think I'd cry myself to sleep. :(

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
As a serious anti-MAME, anti-ROM, and anti-emulation (antiemulationist?), as well as a pro-"play it on the goddamm original hardware, asshole!" nerd

I pity the person(s) that has or had any sort of romantic relationship with you.

This "tooshort Lite" routine was tiresome in 2006. Congrats on completely painting yourself into a materialistic OCD-style mental corner.

btw, SINK NV.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Bit of a moot point since BBCS is the only leaked title on this platform.

Yeah, there's a lot of "Cool story, Bro!" going on with the other titles on the platform. The guys who are talking shit about how they cracked this-or-that, either need to drop the binary or shut up, because if it's really true, before long we will be seeing the chinese boots coming out and people will just rip them from there (ripping off bootleggers amuses me for some reason).

So it's not the end of the world. We still can collect the old arcade hardware, because it's better than emulation. We now can buy a console port that is, like you say, in some ways superior to the arcade version. It's a trade-off, we lose some things we love, but we gain in other ways.

This is a paradigm shift.

Technically, we aren't talking about ROMS, since this native Windows-PC software with the security-DRM cracked and removed, what we are really talking about is: WAREZ.

However, with the change in platform to the much more open commodity PC, this becomes a purely software issue and the game publishers (not necessarily the makers) can engage in all sorts of foolishness: we already have the security dongle (lol. just like the 80's, during the IBM XT or Apple][e days), but how about a machine that requires an internet connection (for netplay or updates as the excuse) and calls home like Ubisoft games with included functionality to DISABLE machines operating outside their designated region, or a non-transferable license where there will be NO used market like what Adobe pulls, and any combination of these things or other, even worse, things.

If my dog ever ate my dongle I think I'd cry myself to sleep. :(

You'd be surprised (or not. This IS the internet...). I know some guys who are into that kinda thing...

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.

From what I've heard, the 360 version and the arcade version are basically the same. The PS3 version actually has around a frame of lag in it for some reason. It wasn't enough to make big tournaments like Evo use the 360 instead of the PS3 so I don't think it's much to worry about.

But then again, Evo is sponsored by Sony...

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
More people tend to play the PS3 version in tournaments because there are more joysticks compatible with it (since you can make use of PS1/2 sticks too).

The PS3 version of SF4 (I haven't noticed it in SSF4, but maybe I'm just not looking) also has a slight drop in resolution when doing Ultras. I've heard a few background details are also missing in the PS3 version, but I never noticed anything.

I double-dip on console fighters, and usually play the 360 versions far more than the PS3 versions, but that's because of XBox Live being much better than PSN, not because of any minor differences between versions.

Anyway, time to get back to the superior home console version of BlazBlue Continuum Shift. Don't need that warez anymore!

Last edited:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
And Windows-based arcade games have been cracked to run on normal PCs for years y'all :V

While accurate, this isn't really a statement that has a point. It's like saying "Dummy, arcade machines have been emulated on PCs for years." with the connotation that someone will be able to play Tekken 6 tomorrow in MAME.

Back to reality - did you know the DreamCast was WindowsCE? Have you seen the emulators for it? "Windows Based" is not a magic bullet that means it's a simple procedure to get working on a desktop PC....

Spoonman1

Overtop Pathfinder
The PS3 version of SF4 (I haven't noticed it in SSF4, but maybe I'm just not looking) also has a slight drop in resolution when doing Ultras. I've heard a few background details are also missing in the PS3 version, but I never noticed anything.

SSF4 on PS3 doesn't downscale resolution on closeups anymore, fortunely it seems that CAPCOM stepped up their game and optimized the code, although it still lacks anti-aliasing (360 version has 2XAA on vanilla and Super while both arcade vanilla and PS3 have none of it).

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Back to reality - did you know the DreamCast was WindowsCE? Have you seen the emulators for it?

Yes to both. Also, that Windows CE codebase was what made it possible for people to make ISO from retail games.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Man, I wish I could get this bastard to work on my computer. My computer is a FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT.

DJ Long Cat

Armored Scrum Object
Yes to both. Also, that Windows CE codebase was what made it possible for people to make ISO from retail games.

I'm calling you out on your Type X/X2 copies.

They WOULD be everywhere if they did exist.

Just fucking look at Blazblue.

I will eat my words if you post a screen shot of the game running. It doesn't have to have any gameplay or anything, I just want fucking proof instead of this "OH I'VE GOT THIS GAME RUNNING HAXORED BUT NO ONE ELSE KNOWS."

Until then, I'm sure you're lying.

Deuce

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Deuce just a question

do you just have those two games or are there dumps of ALL the X and X2 games?

Deuce

Those are the only two in my possession, but I know that there are more.

Status
Not open for further replies.