BILLY KANE COMING TO THE CONSOLE VERSION OF KOF XIII

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I understand your points. On the other hand, you could pretty much say the very same for every, I mean each single one, KOF 'stotyline'. They're always messy. The Orochi storyline is just a half-assed ret-con job. NESTS saga is soooo full of holes it seems Swiss cheese. Ash story it's no difference. Yet, I swear Ash motivation are made very very clear in KOFXIII endings. In fact, KOFXIII has possibly the best narrative endings in a series. I can understand the whole story arc has been intentionally conceived to build-up a pile of mysteries and apparent nonsenses to go into a surprise climax, one of those that turns upside-down what you were supposed to be believing up to that point. Of course, tremendous time gap from a game and another, plus change of platform, director and ideas during a waaaay too long run didn't help, but the ending is epic nonetheless. :)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Rick. Eiji. Oswald. One offs, on their own team, or peppered in w/ existing teams; matters not. What matters to me is that they make it in. After suffering thru the early adoption of XII, and the missed opportunity of SNK Classics 0 not having a wider-spread release, I'm not asking for much here. Love me some Bob W., too. But for Bob v Rick, i can go back to RB2.

Gosh darnit if i don't want for these folks (Bob y Rick most of all) to get the XIII treatment.

i want a reason to believe. This might be my gaming last hurrah...*sips tonic* i just don't want any more disappoint.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
ORugalKOFXII3.gif

Once again by the talented eFeX

Doesn't look demonic enough. At least, not like his KOF95 version. His hair was a lot crazier, too. Shoulders are way too broad, and he needs to lose that smile.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
Doesn't look demonic enough. At least, not like his KOF95 version. His hair was a lot crazier, too. Shoulders are way too broad, and he needs to lose that smile.

Agreed. To be perfectly honest with you im a huge fan of the old KOF style sprites. I know they are extremely low res etc but the character in some of them are amazing. KOF 95 Omega Rugal is a great example. Thats not to say that I dont enjoy the awesome hi-res sprites of KOF XII and XIII either.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I understand your points. On the other hand, you could pretty much say the very same for every, I mean each single one, KOF 'stotyline'. They're always messy. The Orochi storyline is just a half-assed ret-con job. NESTS saga is soooo full of holes it seems Swiss cheese.

I don't care about the Orochi storyline but at least the motivations of the characters are clear and easy to understand and communicated effectively through the cutscenes without too much trouble. Given the subject matter, they found an easy way to communicate who the characters are without too much trouble.

Is it a BETTER story than Ash? I know it doesn't irritate me the way Ash's story does with its bloated delivery.

The worth of a story isn't just in the ideas. It's in how it's executed, and the tools utilized. The Ash storyline is full of big ideas, but told through a fighting game, it fails miserably.

Ash story it's no difference.

I disagree. See above.

Yet, I swear Ash motivation are made very very clear in KOFXIII endings. In fact, KOFXIII has possibly the best narrative endings in a series.

I disagree here, too. 97 and 97 had much better endings, IMO.

I can understand the whole story arc has been intentionally conceived to build-up a pile of mysteries and apparent nonsenses to go into a surprise climax, one of those that turns upside-down what you were supposed to be believing up to that point.

A bad story isn't just the ideas not congealing. It's also the storyteller and the method of delivery.

If I'm 'supposed' to be believing anything in the Ash story, why don't I give a shit about any of it?

Because it's bad, that's why.

Of course, tremendous time gap from a game and another, plus change of platform, director and ideas during a waaaay too long run didn't help, but the ending is epic nonetheless. :)

Too little, too late. It may be a good ending, but it's a good ending to a bad story. Doesn't excuse the previous missteps. Not a single one.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I see your points again. :)

KOF97 ending was great. Yet, the whole Orochi storyline was clearly introduced in '96, and the linking with Rugal (and his secretaries...) is really pitiful as a retcon move. The biggest flaw in Ash storyline is indeed introducing poorly designed character one couldn't really care less about, and not linking them together to make them interesting either. Back in '03, the idea of a bastard disgusting (kimoi) chatacter as a new starring, stealing the three sacred powres' was really something to me. Plus, Rugal heirs. Wow. When KOFXI came out, it was just sooooo meaningless as a whole (I mean, from a storyline point of view), things seemed totally disbanded, and probably were actatully like that. With KOFXIII, SNK-P tried at least to steer the truck in direction to deliver something good. Not emending previous mistakes, you're right here, but they succeeded in making the climax epic, touching and meaningful at least. Given the premises, I would have not hope for this much. :)

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
That would help KOFXIII stand out more than just another KOF with fighters people used before.

The point of KOF was to bring it's different worlds together in one tournament. Leaving out characters who are dear to SNK's fanbase just to add more weaboo hentai jerk off material is what alienated lots of fans. Back in the day I'd say SNK and Capcom's fanbase were the same people, at least in my circle of friends they always were. Around the Nests Cartel Saga that shit changed.

SNK-P is doing exactly what they should have done long ago, stuck to their guns. Sure new characters are cool but the characters that were created just didn't fit into what was dear to SNK fan's hearts. There is no way in hell that Momoko could live up to Bob Wilson or Richard Meyer. Yes I do train capoeira and I must say her movements were done pretty well but her character design was absolutely ridiculous.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I see your points again. :)

KOF97 ending was great. Yet, the whole Orochi storyline was clearly introduced in '96, and the linking with Rugal (and his secretaries...) is really pitiful as a retcon move. The biggest flaw in Ash storyline is indeed introducing poorly designed character one couldn't really care less about, and not linking them together to make them interesting either. Back in '03, the idea of a bastard disgusting (kimoi) chatacter as a new starring, stealing the three sacred powres' was really something to me. Plus, Rugal heirs. Wow. When KOFXI came out, it was just sooooo meaningless as a whole (I mean, from a storyline point of view), things seemed totally disbanded, and probably were actatully like that. With KOFXIII, SNK-P tried at least to steer the truck in direction to deliver something good. Not emending previous mistakes, you're right here, but they succeeded in making the climax epic, touching and meaningful at least. Given the premises, I would have not hope for this much. :)

I will say this much.

I think that KOF XIII did a pretty good job salvaging what they could out of the previous misfires.

I think the IDEAS for a good story are there, but I really think the complexities lend themselves to a different medium, or type of game, far better. There's just too much to decompress in the Ash storyline for a fighting game, traditionally executed, can adequately convey. The Ash specific characters could have easily had their OWN game, without all the previous baggage from the other entries in the series, and I think that might have been an interesting new IP for them to explore.

But shoehorning a whole new cast and a whole new story into a fighter already packed to the gils with characters people actually WANT to play as, each one loaded with their own internal backstory and mythology, just seemed like too much to me after 9 previous games in the series. It was overload in my opinion.

And this doesn't even speak to gameplay. Ideally, you want to strike a balance between characters people WANT to play as with characters that make sense to be present. Sometimes, this results in the appearance of a Billy Kane (makes sense due to return to Garou roots) and Flame Iori (makes sense due to this version of the character already existing and being a fan favorite, in addition to the story contrivance that he gets his flames back at the end.)

The best thing about all of this conversation? We're talking about this game coming out for home consoles where, hopefully, we'll all be able to play together and share the experience. Playing the ROM is fun but I was committed to purchasing the home release from day one. Now, with all this extra content, it's nice to be able to discuss/argue about which characters should be in it and our speculations may actually be rewarded because this game IS coming. It's not just pipe dreams and noise.

This is actually happening. It'll be nice to see people make up their own minds about it when they get a chance. This game is coming out and it's the one we've been waiting for:)

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
It's damn good to see a debate going on in some place outside of unrelated and the war room. It brought that old feeling back, that's why I changed my sig. I feel like I'm once again at an actual SNK fan site.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
The first completely out-of-place character in KOF has been Hinako Shijo. So stupid, so parodist, really seemed out of a Ranma 1/2 episode. She was nothing like KOF, not for a single bit. Back in '99 Bao was borderline already, but at least he was in a very peculiar team and had tremendous Psycho Power to justify his entry. On the contrary, Hinako was completely unjustified and unfitting imho. :(

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm just pumped about KOFXIII, I'm very happy with the add-ons and at this point I'll take whatever else they want to thrown in for the hell of it.

I'm only hoping this marks the true start of a great run!

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
What keeps SF and Tekken relevant is not only the homages to IRL fighters but the hardcore badasses they have as well.

Same reason Mortal Kombat took off: the plot is dumber than shit but EVERYBODY is an "Akuma" in that game.

In MK all of them are jacked up, duty bound killing machines and while I think it's pretty overdone and tiresome, these "badasses" are what young, competitive, heterosexual, males in North America want to vicariously see themselves as when playing not just fighting games but pretty much all games out there.

Lets be real: We're all seeing the same tourney vids here...dudes who are keeping the scene alive are wise cracking mall gangstas.

Not weeaboo sissies and closet nonces.

Adding Momoko or Botan won't make inroads with us or them. Only a few sweaty nerds will spray their shorts over this and then BYEBYE SNK.

Adding Billy Kane was a smart move.

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Th one thing KOFXIII does not lack for sure is: badass-ness. God, so many character are sooooo badass. Ryuuko Team had taken the comical route lately, but they're back to their original badass-ness here. Even Chang and CHoi, classi as they are, are gone to be replaced by way less comic-relief duo Raiden and Hwa. Leona is badass like never before (and she was badass already and to begin with, btw), let alone Clark and Ralf. I say SNK intentions with this game are crystal clear: TO BRING BACK THE SERIOUSLY BADASS FIGHTING FEEL. :)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Shut the fuck up. Rick is shit, and so is your outfit.

You telling me or Taiso to STFU? I mean, we both like Rick.

& what outfit? The Vans T-Shirt in my avatar? What...you an airwalk man or something?

Lol. Just like STK, not sure what I ever did to rub you the wrong way. Perhaps my raging furnace of mediocrity?

There are plenty of my pals in this thread, so flame away if you must.

My Mom beat cancer. Nothing a stranger directs toward me on a message board gives me reason to sweat.

I'm cool w/ all the other Mods. Why u mad?

& Rick is shit? I wish we could play a round or 2. I could make you a believer in the WolfDreadPunch.

Have a nice day; or not.

See you in the footy room sometime...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You telling me or Taiso to STFU? I mean, we both like Rick.

& what outfit? The Vans T-Shirt in my avatar? What...you an airwalk man or something?

Lol. Just like STK, not sure what I ever did to rub you the wrong way. Perhaps my raging furnace of mediocrity?

There are plenty of my pals in this thread, so flame away if you must.

My Mom beat cancer. Nothing a stranger directs toward me on a message board gives me reason to sweat.

I'm cool w/ all the other Mods. Why u mad?

& Rick is shit? I wish we could play a round or 2. I could make you a believer in the WolfDreadPunch.

Have a nice day; or not.

See you in the footy room sometime...

Shut the fuck up means stop talking.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I get the impression Wasabi doesn't really care about Rick one way or the other.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I get the impression Wasabi doesn't really care about Rick one way or the other.

He's a shitty design. I don't care if you like his moveset. Vanessa would be a better choice if you want a character with a limited fighting style.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Was there a war room thread I missed?