BILLY KANE COMING TO THE CONSOLE VERSION OF KOF XIII

saner

Krauser's Henchman
There are rumors people have seen more than what they showed lately.

There have been reports of a new stage, some kind of temple with torches (Those from the Past base? The same room their meetings were held?
150px-Those_3.jpg
)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSqjzpV1k10

A stage inside a plane, a stage in a dark alley, and a HD remake of KOF96 Japan stage (wow!),

Also they claim they seen Saiki playable and it sounds like he wears the white costume from the cutscenes (they said his moveset is interesting.)

Based on the temple stage, people speculate that Botan might be one of the new additions playable.
(which kind of makes sense. Big Ben/Clock = Billy. Pao Pao Cafe (with Bao in background) = Momoko. TFTP temple = Botan. Saiki doesn't need his own stage since he already has his own version of the Stadium. Botan has been the most active TFTP member since 2003.)

Last edited:

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
Sorry Saner, Billys two new teammates have been confirmed/leaked in Famitsu: Grant and Geese Howard

GrantKOFXIII.gif

GeeseKOFXIII.gif

Sorry! Just some sprite creations by the great efex! In all seriousness though I hope they keep away the likes of Momoko etc as they bring nothing to the current storyline. Billy is a great addition

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
My blood pressure went up after seeing Geese and Grant.

FUCK. :crying:

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
My blood pressure went up after seeing Geese and Grant.

FUCK. :crying:

Sorry bro, for what its worth im pretty upset that we will probably never get Grant :( (Geese has a fighting chance though!)

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Sorry Saner, Billys two new teammates have been confirmed/leaked in Famitsu: Grant and Geese Howard

GrantKOFXIII.gif

GeeseKOFXIII.gif

Sorry! Just some sprite creations by the great efex! In all seriousness though I hope they keep away the likes of Momoko etc as they bring nothing to the current storyline. Billy is a great addition

Why would you post that?

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
To spread the pain I felt when I accident stumbled apon these sprites and assumed they were legit :crying:

Your still a dick though. :smirk:

I feel such a strong, sincere pain knowing that those are not "real" now.

That Grant sprite just needs a bit more drawing and shading and it is production level. Geese is already there.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I am not bothered with "young female fighters" per se.

What SNK-P realized in the first place is the 'moe trend' of recent years was driving the KOF roster appeal into a dead-end of gayness and utter feminine idiocy. They intended to cut such a crap with the new start of the series that is KOFXII/XIII. That's not my personal option, that's the actual fact in front of our eyes, both in term of official statements by the authors and strict reality (the games themselves).

SNK-P actually said this? If so then they aren't as stupid as I thought they were.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
They can have all the new BGs and characters they want, but if the game isn't arcade perfect(input lag, worse graphics, long load time) and has laggy ass online play, I am skipping it. I am kinda satisfied with my ROM since it is arcade perfect to the core. I was planning to skip this release until I saw the new stuff they had planned.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
SNK-P actually said this? If so then they aren't as stupid as I thought they were.

Too bad they didn't realize it sooner.

Momoko is garbage. She's no better than a character design for one of those terrible pervert hentai dating sims.

Bob Wilson > Momoko.

All day.

Every day.

Until the universe dies out.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
Your still a dick though. :smirk:

I feel such a strong, sincere pain knowing that those are not "real" now.

That Grant sprite just needs a bit more drawing and shading and it is production level. Geese is already there.

:lolz: I just wanted to fit in! Ah yes the Geese is extremely well done, the Grant is nearly there too I think! eFeX has done some lovely work, if you are a fan of fan-made sprites I suggest checking out his other KOF XII-style sprites. In all seriousness though, my apologies if I got anyone really upset!

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
Too bad they didn't realize it sooner.

Momoko is garbage. She's no better than a character design for one of those terrible pervert hentai dating sims.

Bob Wilson > Momoko.

All day.

Every day.

Until the universe dies out.

Characters that deserve a place in KOF:

Rick Strowd
Grant
Bob Wilson
Marco(MOTW)
Kain
etc etc

Need more fighter like characters and less Baos, Momokos etc. Not that I have anything agaisnt them, its just a shame SNK has this whole pile of already great and developed characters just sitting around

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
SNK-P has become stigmatized by the whole 'doujin-moe-hentai' perception over the years. Their inclusion certainly hasn't helped them or resulted in any huge infusions of cash or otherwise bolstered the company.

I, for one, am glad to see that they're obviously learning from that and going in a different direction. I notice that the change in direction back to the classic style seemed to coincide, more or less, with the exit of Falcoon. Not saying it's a fact. It's just a thought.

I'll also -1 Botan. People may think I'm trolling here, but I just don't care to play her at all and think her inclusion would be forced and unnatural, given the current roster.

Also, I was thinking....

Billy Kane
Flame Iori (rumored)

Could a possible third character be the missing part of the '95 trio?

Eiji?

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Iori already has his own team. No sense wasting space adding Eiji, taking up room just for another version of Iori's first team. And people think Botan would seem forced/unnatural?

And Flame Iori when he doesn't have flames in this episode is not forced and unnatural?

At least Botan fighting in this climax of Those from the Past makes more sense and adds more to the story than some henchman of Geese with no real ambition (Billy Kane), recycled fanservice (Flame Iori, Eiji), and people that have no reason to be in a KOF, besides a dreammatch (Grant). KOFXIII needs brand new playable characters, not just returning characters, and Those from the Past deserve their own playable team (this in turn can also help them expand the story a bit better too.) That would help KOFXIII stand out more than just another KOF with fighters people used before.

The roster as it is could almost be mistaken for a mere dreammatch, and this is supposed to complete the Ash Crimson saga in a greater light. This is SNKP's chance to make Those of the Past shine better than their weak arcade version involvement. Add 2-3 TFTP members as a playable team, insert team as a boss fight in the story, add some extra cutscenes, and there! They will make a better mark and deliver bigger impact and reaction to KOF fans than the arcade version. They could win even new fans.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
SNK-P has become stigmatized by the whole 'doujin-moe-hentai' perception over the years. Their inclusion certainly hasn't helped them or resulted in any huge infusions of cash or otherwise bolstered the company.

I, for one, am glad to see that they're obviously learning from that and going in a different direction. I notice that the change in direction back to the classic style seemed to coincide, more or less, with the exit of Falcoon. Not saying it's a fact. It's just a thought.

I'll also -1 Botan. People may think I'm trolling here, but I just don't care to play her at all and think her inclusion would be forced and unnatural, given the current roster.

Also, I was thinking....

Billy Kane
Flame Iori (rumored)

Could a possible third character be the missing part of the '95 trio?

Eiji?

Ah yes I agree on all points. I can definitely see Eiji coming back(also helps that he was in KOF XI). I for one wouldnt mind seeing a team mixed with old faves and a "newbie" as well, for example:

WishThisWasARealTeam.png

To me Oswald was one of the more interesting post-nests saga characters.

Ninjatemper

King's Dry Cleaner
Tung is so damn cool. Definitely my favourite SNK character. Shame he won't be in this KoF.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Iori already has his own team. No sense wasting space adding Eiji, taking up room just for another version of Iori's first team. And people think Botan would seem forced/unnatural?

And Flame Iori when he doesn't have flames in this episode is not forced and unnatural?

Introducing an old version of Iori is perfectly fine because it's a familiar character audiences know. It also is thematic with the 'roots' movement behind this game.

Anyway, it's just a rumor. I'm neither for nor against it, personally. But if they add him and FF 1 Billy, Eiji seems like a natural third for a '95 team.

But I'm against Botan. The Ash storyline is garbage. I'd rather see LESS of it over more of it.

a bunch of stuff about TFTP deserving a spot in KOF XIII

As the focus on this game was on bringing the game back to the series' roots and SNK's beginnings, including new characters that have never appeared in a KOF before would be a terrible idea. It flies in the face of the mission statement behind the game.

Flame Iori, at least, is a throwback to when KOF mattered. Which is, in the end, is the design theory of the game.

Done debating this point.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I want to see a high res Omega Rugal, KOF95 style. Tear that fucking chest open

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
+1 for Jubei and Oswald

I would love to see Eiji. Art of Fighting needs more love in KOF. Still waiting for Micky and John.

Venessa is the only character I would like to see out of the NESTS saga (if you notice, there have been only 3 NESTS characters so far).

Richard > Bob >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Momoko

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member

Yes. When KOFXII was presented, they said their intention was to 'come back to KOF roots' both in term of character design and fighting feel. They wanted to come back to the 'fist to fist clash' they used to trhill us with back in GarouDen2, Ryuuko1 times. That's because they re-created all the hi-res sprites using the original concepts. I think they did perfectly well. :)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Saner:
anyone who played KOFXIII knows that in Iori's ending he regains his powers. Hence, the 'flame version' of Iori being a bonus in the upcoming release (and quite a cheap one, having to add just some extra animation frame for some different special moves).

On the other hand, any possible fighting use of Botan would be too ffancy, too elaborated for the style SNK wanted to use in KOFXII/XIII. It would be good if you could see reality and facts instead of your dreams and delusions.

Taiso:

Ash storyline is not garbage, why you think so? Having a real anti-hero with a tragic destiny and a very complex personality has been really fresh to me. Some character designs in the series were ass though. What I think SNK realized is: moe craze or not, KOF is not a moe playground. You can do moe/doujin-like games and milk the fandom with those, but not the KOF fandom. I think they got it right. :)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Ash storyline is not garbage, why you think so? Having a real anti-hero with a tragic destiny and a very complex personality has been really fresh to me. Some character designs in the series were ass though. What I think SNK realized is: moe craze or not, KOF is not a moe playground. You can do moe/doujin-like games and milk the fandom with those, but not the KOF fandom. I think they got it right. :)

There's too much going on. It's too complicated. None of it matters and none of it means anything to the audience because none of it is highlighted or important to the rest of it. They told their story in mysterious chapters and you never understood Ash's motivations. The fact that I don't know what Ash is up to or why he's stealing Orochi powers disassociates me with the storyline. By the time I understand the reasons why, 8 years later, I no longer fucking care. It's an overwrought, melodramatic mess, poorly executed and populated with far too many shitty characters to sort out.

This is a fighting game. Whatever 'story' you get is revealed in very short cutscenes. It is absolutely the wrong platform for this kind of exposition and as a result, the execution of the plot points is irritating and forced and hackneyed.

This is a perfect example of what happens when a bunch of producers get to thinking anything they conceive is worthy of consideration. It's like the designers came up with all these 'awesome' ideas and couldn't bear to edit it down, and they didn't seem to understand the vehicle of delivery.

Regardless of the WHY of it, however, one thing is clear to me: I hate it and am glad that if KOF continues on, this pathetic chapter in the 'storyline' is over.

Ash story sucks balls. But if it's any consolation, I think the NESTS saga has an even worse storyline. But at least I like K' and his crew, so they've got that going for them.