CRT Fetish Thread

haightc

n00b
I have the PVM-14M4U, the slightly higher resolution version and its work well. The picture feels bigger on it that my BVM-1310, the inch really feels like a lot more. Still looks small when sitting next to my 20" though. Personally I think 14" is just big enough.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I used to have heaps of CRTs, really miss them. Am picking up a Bang & Olufsen Beovision 3-28 tomorrow morning. Can't wait.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Thanks to Kid Panda sending me a heads up I scooped this 20" over the weekend

4abcc4ef29aabd5af487a4c609c1463c.jpg

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Just picked up an 8041Q off eBay and through RGB & S-Video I'm getting a picture that appears to display almost a double image. It's not rolling vertically. I thought maybe these monitors needed termination plugs but the manual says it has self termination. I've played with all the buttons on the front. If I depress the Sync button I get no picture at all. Same issue on S-Video input.

Any ideas? I have not opened it up.

29496471124_b5e7036f34_c.jpg

29496473204_7f553b85d2_c.jpg

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Just picked up an 8041Q off eBay and through RGB & S-Video I'm getting a picture that appears to display almost a double image. It's not rolling vertically. I thought maybe these monitors needed termination plugs but the manual says it has self termination. I've played with all the buttons on the front. If I depress the Sync button I get no picture at all. Same issue on S-Video input.

Any ideas? I have not opened it up.

29496471124_b5e7036f34_c.jpg

29496473204_7f553b85d2_c.jpg

I am on my phone and can't really see it well but I would suggest adjusting the convergence.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I have the PVM-14M4U, the slightly higher resolution version and its work well. The picture feels bigger on it that my BVM-1310, the inch really feels like a lot more. Still looks small when sitting next to my 20" though. Personally I think 14" is just big enough.

Look up the specs. They're the same size. 13in or 33cm. It's the bigger shell and the bulkier surrounding controls of the BVM giving you the impression that it's smaller. The 13-14" naming difference is just marketing. It also happened with Sony's 19-20" monitors.

haightc

n00b
It doesn't quit look like convergence to me, most PVMs have a test grid pattern built in.. I would switch to the that first and adjust accordingly. If I get a change later I'll look at the spec and/or the manual.

[edit]
Just took a quick look at the service manual, looks like if you want to check the convergence and landing it's expected that you would use a test pattern generator. Also these adjustments on this model are completely internal. I would try different inputs to see if the results are the same and check if adjusting H/V size has any impact.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Try out a composite and/or svideo source on it, if that works fine that would eliminate something actually being wrong with the tube.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Try out a composite and/or svideo source on it, if that works fine that would eliminate something actually being wrong with the tube.

I checked S-Video and was getting the same issue. I'll open it up tonight & see if turning any pots fixes it. It seemed to be packed well by UPS but who knows how it was handled in transit.

haightc

n00b
Link didn't work for me. Is this it? Thanks for the help guys!
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1005419/Sony-Trinitron-Pvm-8041q.html

That would be one, SM walk-though should be straight forward enough. If you have a console that can run 240p test suite it have some test patterns you can use for adjusting convergence and landing. I would guess you landing is what's off vs convergence, by my eyes there is enough color separation that would be typical of bad convergence. Pus I don't think I've seen convergence that bad before, I would guess you would have to drop a magnet.