CRT Fetish Thread

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I see. I havent gone into the menu in a while but yeah maybe thats the reason.

I know with PS2 via RGB SCART to BNC, what i do is switch over from RGB to Component in the PS2 settings and press the component button on the front of the PVM and thats all i ever have to do to get it working.

Should work. I don't use my wii much but I might have it permanently set to progressive scan, which most PVMs won't take. Maybe double check it's outputting standard res if you can?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I dont think i ever even tried hooking up the Wii to my PVM. I just tried using my PS2 and when that didnt work i didnt bother with anything else.

Although now that i think about it. I never tried component to BNC on the 19. I only tried that on the 8 and for all i know, the 8 wont accept component to BNC. Now that i think about it I might have jumped the gun a bit on some of this lol

let me go take a look

edit:

So on the back of the 8, it has the typical RGB sync inputs but then next to each R G B letter it also says R-Y Y B-Y (so im guessing thats red / luma / blue?)

at the bottom it say RGB Component

Alright so maybe its something in the menu or maybe i hooked it up incorrectly, i'll try to hook it up again a bit later and see if i can and see if i can get some kind of picture

edit 2:

just tried component on my Wii and i'll be damned it works perfectly fine:lolz:

ah well i guess it doesnt hurt to have the extra component adapter and Wii SCART cable

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I dont think i ever even tried hooking up the Wii to my PVM. I just tried using my PS2 and when that didnt work i didnt bother with anything else.

Although now that i think about it. I never tried component to BNC on the 19. I only tried that on the 8 and for all i know, the 8 wont accept component to BNC. Now that i think about it I might have jumped the gun a bit on some of this lol

let me go take a look

edit:

So on the back of the 8, it has the typical RGB sync inputs but then next to each R G B letter it also says R-Y Y B-Y (so im guessing thats red / luma / blue?)

at the bottom it say RGB Component

Alright so maybe its something in the menu or maybe i hooked it up incorrectly, i'll try to hook it up again a bit later and see if i can and see if i can get some kind of picture

edit 2:

just tried component on my Wii and i'll be damned it works perfectly fine:lolz:

ah well i guess it doesnt hurt to have the extra component adapter and Wii SCART cable

Glad you got it worked out :)

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
This thread is too long for me to find this info.

Does somebody remember the exact model of the standard speaker for the 2950Q PVM?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If you pay more than a couple hundo for one of these old things, you need your head examined ;)

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Rearranged my console area of my gameroom so that all the TVs are next to each other. My computer monitor also rotates so I can have 2 shmup set-ups going at the same time. I realized, after uploading the picture, that my next immediate project is to get a support under the TV stand/dresser...I didn't realize it was bowing like that lol.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Rearranged my console area of my gameroom so that all the TVs are next to each other. My computer monitor also rotates so I can have 2 shmup set-ups going at the same time. I realized, after uploading the picture, that my next immediate project is to get a support under the TV stand/dresser...I didn't realize it was bowing like that lol.

That is a lot of monitors. Each system hooked up to its own?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
No one should suffer through Jammit, no matter how clear the picture is.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
That is a lot of monitors. Each system hooked up to its own?

Yeah. The PVM has the Genesis hooked up, the RCA on top has the SNES, the Commodore 1702 has the PS2. I have a Supergun, NES, Saturn, and a Dreamcast that I get out of the closet to rotate through from time to time. It looks real nice with all the arcade games on, all the monitors going, and the lights off. At some point I want to get a PVM/BVM to replace the RCA, but the s-video on it is excellent.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
It's a great monitor with the s-video in the back. I would like to snag more of them if I could as back-ups. A 1084s would be awesome.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I've had one for years. It's a really amazing little thing.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Component essentially means there are separate signals making up the total video. So, RGB and YPbPr are both technically component. However, component typically refers to YPbPr. YUV is a color system. Basically meaning one luma and two chroma, which is what YPbPr uses.

While not technically accurate, when buying cables and adapters: component = YUV = YPbPr.

Also, did you know that the NTSC Wii is capable of outputting RGB? I recently ordered my Wii scart connector, so we'll see if I can get it to work, but here's my source anyway: https://youtu.be/3yeKMo6mcAo

My SCART cable just got here today and i got to say that (same with PS2) RGB is definitely noticeably better then component. Brighter and colors pop more.

Sucks because although some of the emulators i use like my SNES one have a PAL 60 option, a lot of the other emulators like wiimednafen dont....at least not that i could find. Guess im gonna have to switch over to a dedicated emulators for NES TG16 and GBA

Last edited:

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
My SCART cable just got here today and i got to say that (same with PS2) RGB is definitely noticeably better then component. Brighter and colors pop more.

Sucks because although some of the emulators i use like my SNES one have a PAL 60 option, a lot of the other emulators like wiimednafen dont....at least not that i could find. Guess im gonna have to switch over to a dedicated emulators for NES TG16 and GBA

Haha. I just got mine today as well. It turns out that a $5 SCART cable is not the way to go. It's constantly dropping either one of the audio channels or one of the colors. Anyway, the colors look great (when they work), and I decided to spring for an official Nintendo cable.

How does the emulation look on the Wii?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
SNES games looked great. I wasnt able to try anything else with RGB since none of the others I use at the moment support it

Now if youre talking component then hell yes they look great. I used to play a lot of Wii on my Samsung consumer set and it looked comparable to my PVM

I love that fucking TV :)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What's the best way to get my NTSC Wii (softmodded) spitting out RGB? I've tried using a backup launcher forced to PAL60 but I got a 50hz RGB signal anyway on the game I tried so that was discouraging (not to mention the rest of the system wasn't in RGB so it was all wrong colors). If I flash the system to PAL will everything come out in RGB?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
What's the best way to get my NTSC Wii (softmodded) spitting out RGB? I've tried using a backup launcher forced to PAL60 but I got a 50hz RGB signal anyway on the game I tried so that was discouraging (not to mention the rest of the system wasn't in RGB so it was all wrong colors). If I flash the system to PAL will everything come out in RGB?

im sure there must be a way to force PAL60 in general for the system but since i have no clue how to do that I just do it the simple/annoying way. I just load up whatever emulator i want to play (SNES in this example) select a game. The game loads with fucked up colors, then i go back to the menu and hit settings, then video and toggle over to PAL60. Then the game resets and boom everything corrects itself. I only had to do it once. After i turned off the Wii turned it back on and went back the SNES emu, it remembered my preference

With USBloader GX you can go to the loader settings and select Force PAL60 and that way you wont have to set each individual game. They will all boot in PAL60

What type of TV are you using?

EDIT: Also apparently there is a region changer app that can perma change your Wii to PAL60 but they give more "brick" warnings then im comfortable with so im not fucking with it.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It's a PVM 2950Q. The one time I tried forcing PAL60 in USBloader GX my game definitely loaded in 50hz. It's a NTSC-U backup to begin with so I really don't get that, maybe my version of USBloader GX was bugged and an update fixes it.