You may cry now !!! New KoF MI Characters

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
soundnvision said:
Ask yourself, does a 3D KoF make the gameplay any better?

Depends on the team´s creativity.

soundnvision said:
Does a new 3D KoF have less personality and soul than the previous KoFs?

Nope. That´s the kind of thing only sad fanboys think.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dio_Brando said:
Nope. That´s the kind of thing only sad fanboys think.
Using your logic, the Ted Turner colorized version of Casablanca is automatically the superior version, because everyone knows color is better than black and white (rolls eyes). The only people who prefer the original black and white Casablanca must be sad fanboys.

You dumbass.

I'm fine with this game, but why can't you accept that there is a legitimate reason why some people wouldn't be?

nothingxs

King's Dry Cleaner
soundnvision said:
Good post. It's definitely true that anyone who wants to play videogames nowadays will go and buy the next gen consoles... They're getting cheaper by the minute, thanks to their own tightassed competition.

No-one who wants 3D gaming (or any gaming of nowadays) would EVER in their right mind go and buy Neogeo, because a) Neo doesn't handle 3D, it's been meant to run 2D from day one, b) it's quite fucking expensive, c) its games are not really around in every shop now are they?

So let's just say that we SNK fans have every damn right to be sad/pissed off when KOF turns 3D.

Ask yourself, does a 3D KoF make the gameplay any better? Doubtful. Does a new 3D KoF have less personality and soul than the previous KoFs? HELL YES.

I'm amazed that they just didn't go for loads of new characters, deepened the gameplay and just added maybe hi-res 2D. I would've been ok with fantastically animated (think Garou) 2D that would've had hi-res graphs.

Now that think of it, that would have been sharp as fuck. :drool:

You people are so fucking hilarious it hurts.

3D KOF will be sporting somewhat different gameplay than previous installments, and the story itself is not the same ballgame as your regular KOF.

Please remember, you idiots, that better and worse is a matter of aesthetics. Because you and your friends say the game sucks does not mean the game sucks. Your liking it or not is another matter entirely.

And from what I can see, I want to get this ASAP.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Does a new 3D KoF have less personality and soul than the previous KoFs? HELL YES.

I beg to differ. Judging from all the little details they appear to have included in the game, its very well possible that it may have more personailty and soul than previous KOFs in some regards.

People on this forum are so closed minded.

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The funniest part is that, if they released a 2D KOF on the Neo with alternate outfits, realistic, life-like animation, background interaction and longer, background-specific introductions... All exactly like MI... Everybody here would be going nuts about how much "soul" the game had.

Fygee said:
People on this forum are so closed minded.

What else is new? They prefer to see "how far" the Neo can be "pushed" (that´s a laugh) than see it move to something new. They prefer to see the games stuck on 99 or so than see it move the fuck on. They can´t accept that Garou and AOF3 are games from the past!!!

Sad.

I wonder if there´s people crying because the Atari 2600 isn´t getting new games. They didn´t push it enough! Waaaaahhh...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Judging by all good stuff that we've seen on this game, thank god SNKP isn't listening to these people anymore.

You don't like it? Don't buy it, the rest of us really don't care.

Dio_Brando said:
The funniest part is that, if they released a 2D KOF on the Neo with alternate outfits, realistic, life-like animation, background interaction and longer, background-specific introductions... All exactly like MI... Everybody here would be going nuts about how much "soul" the game had.

What else is new? They prefer to see "how far" the Neo can be "pushed" (that´s a laugh) than see it move to something new. They prefer to see the games stuck on 99 or so than see it move the fuck on. They can´t accept that Garou and AOF3 are games from the past!!!

Sad.

I wonder if there´s people crying because the Atari 2600 isn´t getting new games. They didn´t push it enough! Waaaaahhh...

let me tell you what is sad, those who only care about graphics, gameplay is all that matter.

JHendrix

metallizer said:
let me tell you what is sad, those who only care about graphics, gameplay is all that matter.

KOF:MI plays just like a 2D game, it will have 2D gameplay.

Yet people still bitch to no end, because it has 3D graphics.

You'd think this site above all others would be "all about the gameplay" but it's not.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dio_Brando said:
Sad.

Probably not. This isn't an Atari 2600 site. You've become something of a bitter, little man, haven't you?

2D fighters and 3D fighters are different things. You can enjoy both, but one can't replace the other. Completely irregardless of whether Maximum Impact will be a good game (and I think it actually will), it's sad to see a form of gaming many of us enjoy disappearing. We are losing some variety. Like going to the video rental and being told we can no longer go in the comedy section. I may like other types of movies also, but someday I'll feel like watching a comedy, and that will suck.

And comments like "life-like animation", etc. really show how little you understand. Some of us don't want life-like. Some like the cartooniness of a SF Alpha or a RBS. Who ever said "I love Metal Slug, but it would be so much better if it was life-like"? Do you really think that was a goal of the programmers? Do you think Hirohiko Araki (JoJo artist for those not familiar) really tries to draw photo-realistic, life-like characters, but can't? There's an atmosphere to his work that wouldn't be conveyed with a different style, even (or especially) if it were more life-like. This is a similar case.

I don't really have anything against you, but I can't understand why you don't appreciate what is unique about 2D fighters. You're as bad as the people dismissing MI without trying it.

And JHendrix, why does it offend you that people have a preference? I agree with your statement: I'll buy MI, and I don't really care who else enjoys it or not. You seem to care, though.

JHendrix

SouthtownKid said:
Probably not. This isn't an Atari 2600 site. You've become something of a bitter, little man, haven't you?

2D fighters and 3D fighters are different things. You can enjoy both, but one can't replace the other. Completely irregardless of whether Maximum Impact will be a good game (and I think it actually will), it's sad to see a form of gaming many of us enjoy disappearing. We are losing some variety. Like going to the video rental and being told we can no longer go in the comedy section. I may like other types of movies also, but someday I'll feel like watching a comedy, and that will suck.

And comments like "life-like animation", etc. really show how little you understand. Some of us don't want life-like. Some like the cartooniness of a SF Alpha or a RBS. Who ever said "I love Metal Slug, but it would be so much better if it was life-like"? Do you really think that was a goal of the programmers? Do you think Hirohiko Araki (JoJo artist for those not familiar) really tries to draw photo-realistic, life-like characters, but can't? There's an atmosphere to his work that wouldn't be conveyed with a different style, even (or especially) if it were more life-like. This is a similar case.

I don't really have anything against you, but I can't understand why you don't appreciate what is unique about 2D fighters. You're as bad as the people dismissing MI without trying it.

And JHendrix, why does it offend you that people have a preference? I agree with your statement: I'll buy MI, and I don't really care who else enjoys it or not. You seem to care, though.

Nah, see what really bothers me is how people just bitch out their asses because "it's 3D". Talk about bullshit, the game plays like a 2D game with 3D models instead of sprites. Play the SFEX series, play Rival Schools. It's been done, it can be done very well. It looks like this is going to play exactly like a 2D game, nothing is lost except for the fact that there are no sprites.

It's "supposed to be about the gameplay", or at least that's what people said when Neo games were called crappy looking. People weren't supposed to be graphics whores and just enjoy the good gameplay. Of course now that the tables are turned the gameplay doesn't matter anymore.

Funny how that works.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Completely irregardless of whether Maximum Impact will be a good game (and I think it actually will), it's sad to see a form of gaming many of us enjoy disappearing. We are losing some variety. Like going to the video rental and being told we can no longer go in the comedy section. I may like other types of movies also, but someday I'll feel like watching a comedy, and that will suck.

I don't understand why people think the release of KOF:MI means that SNKP is going to become a 3D only developer from now on. SNKP themselves said that this is an experiment, and regardless of how it turns out, they'll remain committed to 2D development.

If anything, we're gaining something, not losing something.

And those who claim "its all about the gameplay" have no excuse as the gameplay in KOF:MI appears to be very well done.

But this is KOF, which has always had a more "life-like" style of appearance and animation. Besides, if it was truly life like, 80% of the special moves in the game wouldn't be there. :p

Last edited:

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
leGionellz said:
Yeah, going 3D is SO creative these days :oh_no:

Why neo fans like these squared looking 3D models over artistic 2D graphics goes beyond me.

And until now there has never been a 3D fighter which had better gameplay then our SNK lineup.

Do you think all of a sudden SNKP will come up with one ?

Of course not, don't fool yourself.

If anything good will happen, it will be on AW, in 2D.

Blame me for being a 2D purist, I know I am to blame for that, but I really do think that that's the way fighting games should be.

I disagree only by saying 3-D fighters... Soul Calibur. Thats all Ill say.

Now, regarding KOF:MI, none of us can really make a true generalization about the game yet. Has anyone here PLAYED it? Yes it looks good, and it is fresh, nice to see the classic characters bright and bold. Someone made a good point though about how "anyone can make a 3-D game these days." Of course thats not technically true, its all people (mainstream) will really accept as "gamers" these days. Its funny, and I dont see why, a 3-d fighter cant be fast, and as fluent as a 2-d fighters, ala KOF, or even MvC. Whats stopping them from being like 2-d games?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fygee said:
I don't understand why people think the release of KOF:MI means that SNKP is going to become a 3D only developer from now on. SNKP themselves said that this is an experiment, and regardless of how it turns out, they'll remain committed to 2D development.
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. Whether or not it's justified, I think that's exactly what people are worried about. 3D sells, 2D doesn't, so if this game does well, I think people expect SNKP to start moving away from 2D development, regardless of what they said they'd do. People don't really see it as "gaining" something, because there are many 3D fighters out there, but there are fewer and fewer 2D fighters as time goes by. This is natural and inevitable, so I'm glad to see SNKP come out with what seems like such a competent entry (I always thought they should have stuck it out with the Hyper 64 -- the rate they were improving between SS64 and SS64 WR or FF:WA, the games would have been amazing by now), but there are people who see every dollar spent on 3D fighters as a message to developers that no one cares about or wants 2D anymore.

One last thing from me on this. A lot of people here are "all about the gameplay", so you're right, 2D or 3D shouldn't matter so much to them. But in addition to the gameplay, I've always enjoyed the aesthetic and atmosphere of 2D Neo, the same way I've always enjoyed painting more than photography. There's nothing wrong with photography -- I like it -- but I'll always enjoy looking at a good painting more. I don't know if any of my stupid analogies ever make sense to anyone but myself, but there you go.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Syxx573 said:
Yes, the one person here who has actually played it said he was blown away by it.
More than one...at least 5 people here have tried it that I can think of. But yeah, out of all the people who tried it, including me, all seemed to like it.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
As one who's trying to swear off the Haterade, I'll simply wait until I can play it to pass judgement. Hopefully it will be good. The pics and trailer did look good.

Playmore can't make a decent 2D KoF (cough cough, 2003) so maybe this will rock.

I think this will be awesome personally. If they have the classic KOF gameplay, modern graphics is only a plus! It's not like neo-geo graphics sucked during KOF's inception.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I'll reserve judgement until I play it myself
(looks interesting, though).

Fygee

20 Year Member
Yeah, going 3D is SO creative these days

Why neo fans like these squared looking 3D models over artistic 2D graphics goes beyond me.

I hate it when people say this. Its one thing to have 2D as a preference which is perfectly okay, but to say that 3D games are any less artistic than 2D games is utter poo. For proof, look no further than Tron 2.0, Rez, Unreal 1, any of the Thief or System Shock games, the upcoming Doom 3 and those alpha pictures from Unreal 3.

The days of blocky looking 3D models pretty much died back in 2000 as well. :p

soundnvision

Kula's Candy
nothingxs said:
You people are so fucking hilarious it hurts.

Please remember, you idiots, that better and worse is a matter of aesthetics. Because you and your friends say the game sucks does not mean the game sucks. Your liking it or not is another matter entirely.

And from what I can see, I want to get this ASAP.

You just basically shot yourself in the leg there mate.

I WAS INDEED talking about the aesthetics in my earlier post. If i wouldn't care for the aesthetics, then why would i even bother complaining about a 3D KoF?

If the game doesn't hold considerably something new gameplay-wise, and is just a KoF game with 3D graphs, then why the fuck should i get excited?

The beauty of SNK games for me personally is the deep gameplay AND the 2D graphics. It's the ONLY fucking thing where i even bother to care if anythings two-dimensional or not, everything else has already been changed.
Sorry if that bothers you, it's just the way i have it.

And if you read my post a little bit closer, you'll find that i NEVER said the game will suck, all i said was that i find 3D too generic comparing to the beautifully hand-drawn sprites... This is a case of apples and oranges, so your opinion is just as justified as mine.

My line stays the same: good gameplay, 2D graphs > good gameplay, 3D graphs.
If you don't like it, go fuck yourself. Or better yet, have a nice day :)

Last edited:

soundnvision

Kula's Candy
SouthtownKid said:
Using your logic, the Ted Turner colorized version of Casablanca is automatically the superior version, because everyone knows color is better than black and white (rolls eyes). The only people who prefer the original black and white Casablanca must be sad fanboys.

You dumbass.

I'm fine with this game, but why can't you accept that there is a legitimate reason why some people wouldn't be?

Agreed.

SouthtownKid, i also undestand your explanation of liking the aesthetic side of Neo, along the gameplay... It's difficult to explain, but i know what you mean. The atmosphere and spirit of these games is completely different than the new, next gen console games (which i also have). Not to say that those are bad, but Neo really stands out in a unique, charming way.

Guess some people won't comprehend that.

Last edited:

JHendrix

Loopz said:
Playmore can't make a decent 2D KoF (cough cough, 2003) so maybe this will rock.

Come on now man, KOF2k2.

It's a decent fighter that is as competition worthy as any other KOF SNK made. Hell its way more competition worthy than some of SNK's "original" KOF's (95, 97).

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Come on now man, KOF2k2.

It's a decent fighter that is as competition worthy as any other KOF SNK made. Hell its way more competition worthy than some of SNK's "original" KOF's (95, 97).

actually its the most comp worthy kof my fine masked friend :)

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
JHendrix said:
Come on now man, KOF2k2.

How is KOF'02 less or more competitive than KOF'95?
Please explain.
Btw, I played almost two years of KOF'95 in a high competitive level back
in '95 & part of '96 in latin america, where the core of the kof players are.