You may cry now !!! New KoF MI Characters

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
On the other note, I love it when people use the "It's Neo-Geo.com! Dedicated to SNK's 2D games". One because of the Hyper forum, and the NGPC forum just kind of throw that shit out the window. And secondly it's the biggest cop out you can get. It's a fancy way to say "I have no argument, but I'm allowed to be a fanboy and keep my opinion!"

Then when this is pointed out, someone will come back with the "It's NG.com!!!" which is a nice way to say "I know I'm biased and this opinion makes no sense, but I'm allowed to be a fanboy and have it anyway!"
And...?

When I first joined, or maybe just before, EW said something like "this is n-g.com, not SNK.com, which I thought was the most arrogant, close-minded statement I'd ever heard. But I've come to understand a bit of that viewpoint, even if I don't agree with it 100%.

Of course people are allowed to be biased fanboys here. It's what this place was created for. It's like what the American govenrment did to the American Indians... forcing them to move to reservations... This is about the last refuge for fans of this stuff, and you want to push them off even this tiny space of land?

As has been pointed out literally countless times before, there are many other places dedicated to other sides of video gaming, even 2D fighting, like SRK, o-n.com, etc. etc. -- but this is pretty much the one site in English dedicated to the Neo itself, and it's games. The fanboys do need some place to come to.

What do you gain by taking that from them?

Once again, since I don't expect people to remember what I've posted before in this thread: I've played Max Impact. I liked Max Impact. I'm going to buy Max Impact. But I don't feel the need to criticize people who may not be interested in it (even for irrational seeming reasons), here, of all places.

Fat Cat Lim 2

Kuroko's Training Dummy
SouthtownKid said:
Of course people are allowed to be biased fanboys here. It's what this place was created for. It's like what the American govenrment did to the American Indians... forcing them to move to reservations... This is about the last refuge for fans of this stuff, and you want to push them off even this tiny space of land?

As has been pointed out literally countless times before, there are many other places dedicated to other sides of video gaming, even 2D fighting, like SRK, o-n.com, etc. etc. -- but this is pretty much the one site in English dedicated to the Neo itself, and it's games. The fanboys do need some place to come to.

What do you gain by taking that from them?

Once again, since I don't expect people to remember what I've posted before in this thread: I've played Max Impact. I liked Max Impact. I'm going to buy Max Impact. But I don't feel the need to criticize people who may not be interested in it (even for irrational seeming reasons), here, of all places.

I can understand the biasness of its members, but I don't like close-mindedness that some of them display, i.e. the immediate condemnation of the game itself without any proper justification for their dislike.

As for the site dedicated to the Neo itself, it's a blurred line. More often that not, I've often seen threads in the News forum discussing news on the Dreamcast. It's even harder when SNK Playmore had announced the last of its AES/MVS units to roll off the assembly line. You need to be a pretty damn hardcore to talk about the Neo-Geo scene and SOLELY about the Neo-Geo. It's difficult to maintain a gaming hobby just on the Neo and not talk about other newer games being produced by the same former company without making some sort of comparison, such as KOF:MI with the 2D KOF fighting series.

And for some people who post news about the newer games that will no longer appear on the Neo-Geo, they see it not as gloating, but rather that they want to share news with people who used to share the same passion and faith in the same company who used to produce games for the Neo-Geo. After all, if it wasn't for the games in the first place the Neo-Geo might as well be an expensive paperweight. Through the games we see the company's culture, aesthetics, politics, ideology, etc. To celebrate the Neo-Geo and its games is to also celebrate what the company SNK has brought to them, from the pop culture of modern Japan, to the wacky appeal and designs of its creators. Again, it's really hard to separate the two since the Neo-Geo is synonymous with the games and the reputation that Playmore used to be.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fat Cat Lim 2 said:
And for some people who post news about the newer games that will no longer appear on the Neo-Geo, they see it not as gloating, but rather that they want to share news with people who used to share the same passion and faith in the same company who used to produce games for the Neo-Geo. After all, if it wasn't for the games in the first place the Neo-Geo might as well be an expensive paperweight. Through the games we see the company's culture, aesthetics, politics, ideology, etc. To celebrate the Neo-Geo and its games is to also celebrate what the company SNK has brought to them, from the pop culture of modern Japan, to the wacky appeal and designs of its creators. Again, it's really hard to separate the two since the Neo-Geo is synonymous with the games and the reputation that Playmore used to be.
That's pretty much the way I see it, too. I'm an SNK fan first and a Neo fan (close) second. But I don't feel like blasting the Neo hardcore or shoving that opinion down their throat, because I consider this their refuge.

Things have changed a lot even in the short time I've been here. There actually used to be pretty heated debate over whether the SNK ports should be discussed here in the News section or in unrelated. Like you, I think it's inevitable that as no more Neo games are produced, more talk of ports or new Playmore games on other platforms enters the site. I prefer that to the alternative of traffic dying here and no one having anything new left to say. But I also understand the hardcore who may see it as losing yet more ground to the mainstream consoles. It's kind of a slippery slope, and some may see a danger of losing what is unique to this site. If someone doesn't particularly care about the Neo but wants to talk about the ports, games, roms, whatever, there's always s-c.com or o-n.com, etc. There's nowhere else for Neo hardcore. By all means have an opinion, but I think the mainstreamers should be a little sensative about this and show a bit of respect.

I'm not going to go to an Atari 2600 hardcore site (if there is one) and start talking about how much better the PS Namco Museum version of Pac-Man is. Well, it is, but I understand if playing Pac-Man is not what someone is interested in, but Atari Pac-Man. It's a different experience with its own charm, that includes the wonky graphics, the so-stiff-you-almost-can't-use-it joystick, and yes, a large dose of nostalgia. This is what Dio Brando doesn't get with his self-defeating arguments: "if this was made on the Neo, everyone would love it and talk about how it pushed the hardware, blah blah blah..." Well, maybe yes. That's the point, actually. The point of the site.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
That's pretty much the way I see it, too. I'm an SNK fan first and a Neo fan (close) second. But I don't feel like blasting the Neo hardcore or shoving that opinion down their throat, because I consider this their refuge.

Likewise, I don't feel like I, or others, should be called a moron for disagreeing with their opinions either. Its one thing to disagree on a position, its another thing to have to constantly get insulted for supporting the "gh3y p0rtz".

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
hmm, supporting ports is good, piracy bad

I just get pissed off by the rom whores :annoyed:

'Lord Yamazaki'

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hmmm, well all this talk about Kof2k2 matches on XBL are pretty fucking tempting. I may actually contradict myself and end up buying an XBOX afterall.

Now I have no clue how good or how sucky you peeps are, but at least I know that I'm not the best but most definately real good :)

I'm from Mexico btw, that tells you something. :D

For now, I guess I'll have to settle with owning people on Kaillera I guess.
And just so I don't get any useless ranting, yes I play on actual MVS machines at my local arcades, and yes I still own.

The time will come.

KthxBye

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fat Cat Lim 2 said:
And if this site and news forum is only specifically about Neo Geo related news, then why was E3 news posted here without much fuss? It was moved from the Unrelated forums to the News forum, yet hardly a complain was uttered by TooShort. If this site was truly restricted to Playmore or Neo Geo related news, then its news should have been filtered from the rest of the E3 news and only posted. But this was not so. Again, hardly a peep from TooShort.

Yes, the "it's fucking neo-geo.com, not GameFAQs you moron!!11!!1!" line is (or better was) very popular because basically, it's the truth - this site is dedicated to the Neo Geo first and SNK second.

The reason why there are forums for the Hyper 64 and the Neo Pocket is simple - fan service. Ppl wanted to discuss these things in a separate forum but that doesn't change the fact that this site focusses on SNK's 16bit 2D Neo Geo hardware (MVS, homecart, NGCD). The number of threads in the other forums compared to the general number of Neo-related topics should tell you that the (3D) Hyper is not and never was the focal point. Same with the Pocket.

The E3 thread was moved to News because it's indeed newsworthy to get good infos about E3. I guess 90% of the members here DO care for info about that, it's just that they're not that enthusiastic about new games like KoF: MI, that's all there is. You can talk about ports, 3D KoFs and other not directly Neo-related stuff all you want but you should not act like a complete idiot (read: like Dio Brando and other kids) and insult others for loving (and mainly supporting) a video game system like the Neo Geo, just because you can't think of a good reason to love video game hardware that is out for more than a decade now.

For example, I'm subscribed to a German mailinglist dedicated to one particular Suzuki motorbike model, the GSX 1100 G. Of course there are discussions about general Suzuki topics but mainly, it's all about said model. We have plenty of dorks like Dio Brando every now and then who insult others for "loving such an old bike", but that's not the point - we like our bikes and tho we know that there are more modern bikes around, we stick to ours. Yes, some of us exaggerate their fandom a bit, but that's okay, after all, that's what a fan bbs/mailinglist is all about, on our mailinglist an on neo-geo.com.

Fygee

20 Year Member
3D KoFs and other not directly Neo-related stuff all you want but you should not act like a complete idiot (read: like Dio Brando and other kids) and insult others for loving (and mainly supporting) a video game system like the Neo Geo, just because you can't think of a good reason to love video game hardware that is out for more than a decade now.

Nothing wrong with that. Its just that some of the hardcore Neo-Geo fans tend to forget that respect is a two way street when someone disagrees with them, and then throw out high and mighty insults as if they're superior.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fygee said:
Nothing wrong with that. Its just that some of the hardcore Neo-Geo fans tend to forget that respect is a two way street when someone disagrees with them, and then throw out high and mighty insults as if they're superior.
You mean some members here go to other sites and tell Soul Calibur, Tekken, etc. fans that their games are crap? I doubt it. I'm not a hardliner, I enjoy ports for what they are, but I don't think that people are automatically entitled to the respect you seem to think when they come here and talk trash about the Neo. This is not the place for that. If some stranger suddenly came into your house and took a dump on your sofa, would you respectfully understand his need to relieve himself, and politely ask him please not to do that?

Mystic Flame summed it up well in the fewest words from another thread:
Mystic_flame said:
Why register on the Neo Geo forums when you are not a Neo Geo fan.

Seriously --why?

Fygee

20 Year Member
You mean some members here go to other sites and tell Soul Calibur, Tekken, etc. fans that their games are crap? I doubt it. I'm not a hardliner, I enjoy ports for what they are, but I don't think that people are automatically entitled to the respect you seem to think when they come here and talk trash about the Neo. This is not the place for that. If some stranger suddenly came into your house and took a dump on your sofa, would you respectfully understand his need to relieve himself, and politely ask him please not to do that?

That's perfectly understandable, but its a pretty rare thing for someone to come along here and spout hate for the Neo-Geo out of nowhere. Naturally some dickhead that comes here and blasts unsubstantiated SNKP hate doesn't deserve respect.

You have to remember, however, that playing ports, welcoming SNKP's recent development on new hardware, or even playing "t3h r0mz" does not equate to Neo-Geo hatred, and if someone with that stance explains their position properly, it doesn't warrant "OMG LIEK U R GH3Y" one liner posts from certain forum trolls. :p

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fygee said:
That's perfectly understandable, but its a pretty rare thing for someone to come along here and spout hate for the Neo-Geo out of nowhere. Naturally some dickhead that comes here and blasts unsubstantiated SNKP hate doesn't deserve respect.
I'm kind of talking about people like Dio Brando, who is disrespecting the Neo hardware. JHendrix does also, but he knows how to do it witout sounding like a dick. Actually, I don't have a problem with either of them, but Dio could dial it down a notch. Most of his posts over the last couple months boil down to: "you guys are all idiots." He started out as a good member.

Fygee said:
You have to remember, however, that playing ports, welcoming SNKP's recent development on new hardware, or even playing "t3h r0mz" does not equate to Neo-Geo hatred, and if someone with that stance explains their position properly, it doesn't warrant "OMG LIEK U R GH3Y" one liner posts from certain forum trolls. :p
I agree with that, but even TooShort in his earlier post in this thread, said someone doesn't need to own an AES or MVS, they just have to have an interest and appreciation for it (a huge step towards the middle ground for him).

I like SNK games, and I like them on the Neo. I lile some of the ports, but I enjoy the originals more. I don't need to be told other systems are more powerful or have better graphics -- that's not even slightly the point, and has nothing to do with my enjoyment. I certainly don't need to be called a 'sad fanboy' for liking old games.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Fygee said:

Ports are fine, and playing the roms for evaluation purposes are fine, but people come to this site asking how to get fucking sfIII:3rd strike roms to work and people want all the Samurai Spirits roms to play on their xbox, this shit just pisses me off. I know there's also a totally different feeling you get from playing an actual Neo Geo rather than a rom and using your keyboard or maybe an x-arcade stick or something to that effect, but my hatred towards the rom whores is for the people who can't spend the money on at least a NGCD or a Dreamcast. And did you ever think all the bitterness towards the roms is because it's looked down upon and we want to make that good and fucking clear because this isn't...

"Neo-GeoRoms.com"

It's one thing to support SNK/Neo-Geo, but roms don't support anybody. Okay I'm done defending my position.

Buy ports for fuck sake! :loco: ...even though they're inferior

Last edited:

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
GENOCIDE CUTTER '94 said:
What the hell is a "Buriki One"?

I don't know, I only have Buriki Two and Three. I skipped the first.

It's something related to pedophilia.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
The NGH is dead, News and Rumors is going to fall apart.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
The NGH is dead, News and Rumors is going to fall apart.
If this past week is any indication, you're using the wrong verb tense.