You KNOW things are bad in the retro game scene when...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The only Jag games I know are good are Rayman and AVP. Kasumi Ninja is funny as hell though.

Raiden, Zool 2, Tempest 2000, Super Burnout, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Soccer Kid, Total Carnage, Defender 2000, Zoop... only problem is, most are available elsewhere.

Still, being able to switch to any weapon in Doom without cycling through them all is nice. The controller looks dumb as hell but it's actually pretty functional and comfortable.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Raiden, Zool 2, Tempest 2000, Super Burnout, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Soccer Kid, Total Carnage, Defender 2000, Zoop... only problem is, most are available elsewhere.

Still, being able to switch to any weapon in Doom without cycling through them all is nice. The controller looks dumb as hell but it's actually pretty functional and comfortable.

I think the Jag port of Wolf3d is probably my all-time favorite. Missile Command 3D was fun - would've been cool if they had released the VR headset with that.

I got a buddy to buy a Jaguar for Doom alone. We networked 2 systems/TV's and played the shit out of that.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You said in this very thread that Raiden was a pretty good port.

jesus christ who spends hundreds of dollars ona shitty failed system for...what? afucking port? is that your arguement? well the PS1 had the Raiden project, why not get that? are you dense

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
millennial fucks keep fucking it up for the OGs

Many things have made this hobby lame now.

Are there as many undiscerning youngsters as there are 40 year old+ collectors? Maybe, but either way a huge majority of them weren't concerned with this hobby 5 years ago. Whether they were in diapers back then or they were current gen centric adults with an income who saw 2D/old games as undesirable, both camps contain trend influenced johnnycomelatelys who don't really understand what they're buying.

Is fammicomander a hip guy? Is that why he doesn't know what makes raiden an inferior port?

famicommander

15 Year Member
jesus christ who spends hundreds of dollars ona shitty failed system for...what? afucking port? is that your arguement? well the PS1 had the Raiden project, why not get that? are you dense
I acknowledged twice already that a lack of exclusive games is a problem for the system and that I wouldn't recommend the system over its contemporaries. I was just saying that, in a vacuum, there is fun to be had on a Jaguar.

And again, I didn't buy a Jaguar at all. I had an extra OG Xbox and I traded it for the Jag with a bunch of games including AVP, Raiden, Rayman, and Tempest.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think the Jag port of Wolf3d is probably my all-time favorite. Missile Command 3D was fun - would've been cool if they had released the VR headset with that.

I got a buddy to buy a Jaguar for Doom alone. We networked 2 systems/TV's and played the shit out of that.

It's too damn bad about the lack of music in Jag Doom. Otherwise it's about as good as a console port of the game gets.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
it's not looking good for you here man not gonna lie

basically your arguement is the jaguar is worth buying because it's got like 2 good games

who buys a system for just two games, that's nuts.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
It's too damn bad about the lack of music in Jag Doom. Otherwise it's about as good as a console port of the game gets.

Those exact same sentiments were expressed back in the 90's when it was released.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

If you can control the contrast on your TV to combat the stupid darkness levels found on the game, Doom 64 is a rock solid port.

famicommander

15 Year Member
it's not looking good for you here man not gonna lie

basically your arguement is the jaguar is worth buying because it's got like 2 good games

who buys a system for just two games, that's nuts.

I'm not telling you or anyone else to buy one. I have one and I like it. That's all.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm not telling you or anyone else to buy one. I have one and I like it. That's all.

I think Jaguar is crappy - but not THAT crappy. If you could get a console + a few carts for under a hundred bucks it'd totally be worth it. For the same reason a Supergrafx is still a fun oddity. The main point of this thread is not really to say whether the jag sucks balls or not, as I think everyone can agree it sucks to a certain level or another. The point is, it's the LAST console that should demand a premium price, regardless of scarcity.

Super A'Cans should be cheap as shit to, but I bet they aren't.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Jaguar is so misunderstood, I think it was always meant to suck but you got people trying to work against the grain, let them!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Fanny likes the jaguar...fagg!

The Jag isn't a bad system, just a product of it's time - It was Atari trying desperately to be relevant again in a market that they dominated for years. They couldn't really play on any nostalgia, because kids/teenagers for the most part didn't grow up with an Atari system.

What killed the system was the same thing that killed the Saturn and the Dreamcast - lack of any real third party software support, and their first-party titles were mostly underwhelming. There were some really good games, but they got lost in all of the garbage.

And it wasn't like the system was never advertised - I always saw the "Do The Math" commercials (especially the Doom adverts) on TV, and 1-2 page ads in EGM, GamePro, and the rest.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The 3DO is the one 90's console that doesn't seem to have that retro appeal that causes prices to go sky high. Well, the CD-i as well, but I don't really count that piece of shit and I'm sure the Zelda and Mario games command a premium because...Nintendo.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
3DO was the thing to get for ST before emulation came into the picture, I don't see any other reason why would anyone want one.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The 3DO is the one 90's console that doesn't seem to have that retro appeal that causes prices to go sky high. Well, the CD-i as well, but I don't really count that piece of shit and I'm sure the Zelda and Mario games command a premium because...Nintendo.

Give it time...it may join the stupidity. I'm being honest when I say that I never thought the jag would be a sought after item...but I was wrong.