you found out you can't post new threads in the master forum! what can you do?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
ok, then this is a task for someone with more advanced knowledge than myself. I'd say:
Try the search function (or google + "site:neo-geo.com/forums"), most likely the problem you have has [already] been discussed [...]
If you really can't find a thread to your problem, either stick around and become part of the community (post meaningfully) until you can start a thread or post in a not too old already existing thread [as closely related as possible to your issue] in the tech section.

kotter

n00b
yup, thanks xsq.
I've been searching the webs to find out what the chip does and looking at the screen it kind of makes sense (messed up graphics + busted decryption chip).
I'll eventually post a new thread on the matter to try to reach some more people in the tech area :)

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Hi all - I'm new here, so I'll introduce myself.

I'm a life-long video gamer and collector. I started at with the Atari 2600 and I've picked up pretty much every major console that's come out after it. The Neo-Geo was always on my radar (played the games at the arcade and loved them), but a home machine and the games were just too expensive at the time. Nevertheless, I still picked up a NGPC and Neo-Geo CD when they were in production, and I built up a bit of a library on each of them. I've enjoyed some of the side-scrolling beat-em-ups and schmups on the NGCD, but the loading time on the fighting games - ugh.

Finally now the time is right for me to jump into the Neo-Geo properly. I've just picked up an AES 3-4 revision with one game (Blue's Journey). A CMVS is on my radar as well. Looking forward to collecting and enjoying the cart-based Neo-Geo!

lui

n00b
Would there happen to be a "required post count" to view images uploaded to the neo-geo forum servers?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Hi all - I'm new here, so I'll introduce myself.

I'm a life-long video gamer and collector. I started at with the Atari 2600 and I've picked up pretty much every major console that's come out after it. The Neo-Geo was always on my radar (played the games at the arcade and loved them), but a home machine and the games were just too expensive at the time. Nevertheless, I still picked up a NGPC and Neo-Geo CD when they were in production, and I built up a bit of a library on each of them. I've enjoyed some of the side-scrolling beat-em-ups and schmups on the NGCD, but the loading time on the fighting games - ugh.

Finally now the time is right for me to jump into the Neo-Geo properly. I've just picked up an AES 3-4 revision with one game (Blue's Journey). A CMVS is on my radar as well. Looking forward to collecting and enjoying the cart-based Neo-Geo!

Welcome, When you can create threads you should post pics of your collection.

Would there happen to be a "required post count" to view images uploaded to the neo-geo forum servers?

I dont think so, is there a thread in paticular you are trying to view images from?

kotter

n00b
I believe the restriction is the same as posting threads. I was unable to follow image links in the beginning as well.

lui

n00b
I believe the restriction is the same as posting threads. I was unable to follow image links in the beginning as well.

Very well.
Considering you have a total of 8 posts, I'll assume once I attain a total of 5 the restrictions will be lifted.

Liad

n00b
Hello everyone, just got my first Neo Geo today, and since I haven't been into retro consoles for a while, I'm probably going to bother some of you with questions.

Other than that, i'm from norway and overall just very confused about the Neo Geo. hadn't really paid any attention to it until about a week ago (bought Fatal Fury 1 on PSN with a friend and got totally addicted), but I feel in love with the idea of the Neo Geo, so here I am.

Liad

n00b
Oh, I actually have a question about A/V connectors (sorry for the extremely basic questions ahead of time).

I bought a Neo Geo from consolepassion (I don't know if those guys are legit, but they seemed like it), and it came with a scart cable. I plugged the scart cable into the scart adapter I have on my tv, and the scart cable got stuck and I think it's ruined now. I found quite a few of them on ebay, but can I reliably buy third-party RGB scart cables (like this one ) , or is there some other a/v connector I should buy instead?

The scart cable also came with a jack connector, just like the ebay auction i linked - what's the point of that jack connector? is it to "enable" stereo sound?

kotter

n00b
As far as I know these cables should be all right and wired correctly, although not the best quality and no shielding. I've bought one on ebay before and that one was wired for mono sound, the one you linked however is passing the audio through a seperate cable and is most likely wired for stereo. The reson for that is to seperate the audio signals from the rest and avoid signal interference which can cause humming or buzzing.

Before getting a new one though, what exactly happened to the one you got?

Liad

n00b
Thanks for the reply. So, I went and bought a travel adapter so my Neo Geo boots up. It worked, and my Neo Geo boots up, but the only thing that shows up is a white screen with vertical stripes coming down the screen.

My TV doesn't have a built-in scart lead, it uses an adapter which I plug in. I plugged the scart cable from the Neo Geo into the scart adapter, and now it's completely stuck. I haven't used a scart cable for years, and I forgot how finicky they are, so it got pushed in at an angle, so I had to force it in so it'd fit. After that, I can't take it out. If I try to push it out, the plastic comes loose, while the scart stays in. If I want the adapter free, it seems my only option is to ruin the scart cable, but considering how I'm only getting a white screen, I guess the cable isn't working. With the fiasco of the scart cable, it could be that I didn't properly plug in the A/v connector into the neo geo, but I feel that if I try to force it, i'll ruin the neo geo.

The Adapter
Connected to the scart cable
Plastic starts to come loose as I try to pull it out
White Screen when I've plugged everything in

I hope the white screen is a result of the A/V connector being defective, instead of the Neo Geo being broken.

Liad

n00b
It looks like I can't edit my own post ,for some reason, so i'll just append to it.

I want to record my Neo Geo with an Elgato capture device that I own, and I realized that I can't use a scart cable for that, I need to buy an RGB cable/ RCA connector, so the scart cable is completely useless to me. Having said that,I do want my Neo Geo to work :p

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. So, I went and bought a travel adapter so my Neo Geo boots up. It worked, and my Neo Geo boots up, but the only thing that shows up is a white screen with vertical stripes coming down the screen.

My TV doesn't have a built-in scart lead, it uses an adapter which I plug in. I plugged the scart cable from the Neo Geo into the scart adapter, and now it's completely stuck. I haven't used a scart cable for years, and I forgot how finicky they are, so it got pushed in at an angle, so I had to force it in so it'd fit. After that, I can't take it out. If I try to push it out, the plastic comes loose, while the scart stays in. If I want the adapter free, it seems my only option is to ruin the scart cable, but considering how I'm only getting a white screen, I guess the cable isn't working. With the fiasco of the scart cable, it could be that I didn't properly plug in the A/v connector into the neo geo, but I feel that if I try to force it, i'll ruin the neo geo.

The Adapter
Connected to the scart cable
Plastic starts to come loose as I try to pull it out
White Screen when I've plugged everything in

I hope the white screen is a result of the A/V connector being defective, instead of the Neo Geo being broken.

I wonder if you can gently pry the cable apart from your adapter with a pair of pliers. If it took some force to plug in, there's a good chance there's a bad connection in one of the pins, or maybe even one of them broke off. We won't know until you pry that bad boy apart!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
It looks like I can't edit my own post ,for some reason, so i'll just append to it.

I want to record my Neo Geo with an Elgato capture device that I own, and I realized that I can't use a scart cable for that, I need to buy an RGB cable/ RCA connector, so the scart cable is completely useless to me. Having said that,I do want my Neo Geo to work :p

I've already sent it... relax fooker...

It's the official Jap one... one yellow and one white output...

xROTx

kotter

n00b
You shouldn't have to force it too much, sometimes the pins don't line up and you can try to find the one that's out of place and bend it a little in the right direction.
Some scarts can be a little tricky to put together when closing the plastic casing. There are some furrows that need to be lined up with the inner part of the scart, if they don't the casing can slide off when you try to use it. So if you do manage to get it loose without damaging it you could just check the pins to make sure they are straight and linig up with your adapter then open the casing and close it again to make sure that it's put together properly.

Liad

n00b
I've already sent it... relax fooker...

It's the official Jap one... one yellow and one white output...

xROTx

Sorry Rot, I was speaking generally :p

So after facing off with technology as old as I am, I came out as the victor. I took off the plastic on both the adapter and the cable, and this thing was jammed in there. I used a screwdriver to gently pry them apart, and quickly assembled them after taking some pictures. I took out my old SNES and tested out the scart adapter, which worked like a charm, so the adapter isn't the culprit. I definitely didn't need to put in as much force as I did, I only needed to gently put it in the adapter for the image+sound to come in properly.
prop
The cable didn't have any broken/bent pins, so if the cable did work properly before I manhandled it, I assume that when I kept pulling on the plastic (and the plastic came off) some of the wiring came loose or got bent. That, or my Neo Geo is broken.

Like lovers in heat
Metal around the scart cable came loose, but it might have been like that to begin with
Scart cable wiring -there was a pink cable that had been cut off where the cable ends, but it might have been extraneous. The wiring doesn't look pretty, and some of it seems like it has been bent.
Adapter female pins (or whatever they're called)
Sticky, sticky wiring
Snes connected with a scart adapter into the scart adapter. adapterception.
F-zero working as intended
close-up of Scart pins

I think that about does it, now I'm just waiting for Rot's official cable to get here. thanks Rot, you da best. I'll update you with my tears when I realize that it was the Neo Geo that was broken all along.

kotter

n00b
At a quick glance the wiring looks fine so maybe it just wasn't inserted properly.. I'd give it another shot after making sure that the casing sits where it should :)

If it still doesn't work I'm sure Rot's cable will do the trick!

Liad

n00b
I did try that after I tested my SNES, but I still got the same result, so I assume it's a defective cable. Who knows, maybe i'll try it while I wait for any games to show up (that'll take like two weeks or so), and suddenly it'll work. technology's weird like that :p

Yeah that was a really nice gesture of Rot, I hope it all works out :)

lui

n00b
Would anybody happen to know where to locate a cheap jp21 to scart adapter?

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Hey guys, just had my account approved today so i figured i might as well introduce myself. Ive just recently gotten into neo geo gaming. I stumbled across a japanese aes for sale with samurai spirits for sale from my local classifieds and now sitting at 12 AES games three months later.

Duxcub

n00b
Hello everyone :)

I've been reading this forum for help and reference for about 6 months, and made an account a few days ago. I've been doing console mods and repairs for a few years, and recently got into arcade boards. I always wanted a Neo Geo as a kid, and now that I'm fixing them up and playing some games, my dreams have come true ;)

I also just got a Super Neo 29 Candy that I have been cleaning up and trying to restore the control panel and some wiring. Neo Geo is a lot of fun!

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Hi all,

New Neo owner from Norway :)
Just picked up an AES along with Fatal Fury Special & Samurai Shodown 2.
Picked up an MVS MV-1FZ for a consolisation project that i'm looking forward to trying my hand at.

Takk!