Worst sunfade you've found?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
All those AES games trapped in Japanese stores near the window, where the sun saps all the color from the spine of the insert.

We all know this right? Has anyone found a game with really bad sunfade? On the whole insert? Ever found a B&W insert?

ruderudie

Cheng's Errand Boy
Maybe a more interesting question is: what eventually can happen to the carts if the pcb's seriously heat up day in day out for a long period of time? Is there any chance this affects the lifespan of the game?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Heat always affects the lifespan of electronics. Probably not by much just having a game sit in the window all day if at all. Maybe baking in a hot car for years would do something, I doubt any window showing would ever damage anything in AES carts.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I've seen an NES Cart become soft and partially melt after being left in my friend's mom's car all day when we were kids. He was pissed.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Worst sun fade I've found??

jackasses4.jpg

Serious answer though? Most of my expensive homecarts.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Maybe a more interesting question is: what eventually can happen to the carts if the pcb's seriously heat up day in day out for a long period of time? Is there any chance this affects the lifespan of the game?

Unrelated question, but I'll answer it anyway.

Excess heat doesn't do anything to PCBs and chips. You'd need over 300F to melt the solder on the boards. To melt the boards or even ROM chips... Well, an 800F soldering iron isn't enough.

Heat from just being played in an MVS won't do any damage whatsoever.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
moisture is the villain for the electronics portion.... heat and sun on paper is going to do the fading & scortching of the insert so...an AES cart in a hot, muggy climate of the world is doomed without proper care.....
BB

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I don't have any sunfaded AES games, but I have noticed many do have that issue. If we are counting non Neo Geo games, here's the worst I've ever had:

IMG-20130326-00140_zps452b29e8.jpg

Picked that up a few years ago on the cheap when I still needed Breath of Fire. What's even worse is when I got home the copy didn't even have BOF inside, it was Musya! :(

irvsmoot

Cheng's Errand Boy
I've been fortunate enough that my Neo games have been spared excessive time in the sun. Now, some of my Mega Drive games. . .that's a different story.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I had a marquee that was so sunfaded and cigarette smoke tarred that it basically disintegrated when I took it off the cab.

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
There's an old guy who sells gameboy games at a market near us and it's got to the point where his original gameboy games simply have white labels throughout.

He's then gone over them with badly spelled marker pen just so people know what they are.

U can have a "Pokemom red" for a fiver

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I have never understood why retailers in Japan just let stuff bake in their shop windows. OK, you get something new…put it in the window for a day or two....NOT years. I’ve always ran away from sun faded AES stuff.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
The side of my Getaway High Speed II pinball is in pretty rough shape on one side due to sun-fade. The lettering which used to be red is nearly white now; the other side is a bit better. One of these days I have to get around to getting the new cabinet decals placed on it.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
The stuff also fades from Fluorescent lighting as well, just takes longer.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
The stuff also fades from Fluorescent lighting as well, just takes longer.

That's interesting...just looked that up and found this on wikipedia: "Fluorescent lamps emit a small amount of ultraviolet (UV) light. A 1993 study in the US found that ultraviolet exposure from sitting under fluorescent lights for eight hours is equivalent to only one minute of sun exposure." That was actually a sourced quote so it's a bit more reliable than most.

Sounds like setting rooms up with LED lighting is a decent alternative in that case, and would explain why I've seen things in store display cases that just fade to shit after a while.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Incandescent lights are alright too, just not ideal for lighting up a display case because of heat.

A lot of the neo mini marques you see yellowed are from the fluorescent light that are in the neo cabinets.It takes a lot longer to fade than direct/indirect sunlight. CFL bulbs fade stuff as well since they are just a miniature fluorescent light.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
I've made a darkroom with red protective lights for my game collection. I've dedicated a few modified wine coolers to keep them at a perfect 54 degrees Fahrenheit. Acid-free gloves and eye protection are also a must. I also don't ever look directly AT the games...just out of my peripherals or a glance-by. One guy looked at my games once. He's dead.

On a serious note for you guys that genuinely are scared of fluorescent lights fading your games, you're crazy. But back when I used to screen print you were able to use those incandescent yellow "bug bulbs" in the dark room and it wouldn't cure the emulsion (which is designed to do so with UV exposure).

On topic though I'll take a pic of a blue/white Last Battle for genesis at my local flea market. It's terrible.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
neo geo aes still fades to a lesser extant than snes games and other games imo

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
I've made a darkroom with red protective lights for my game collection. I've dedicated a few modified wine coolers to keep them at a perfect 54 degrees Fahrenheit. Acid-free gloves and eye protection are also a must. I also don't ever look directly AT the games...just out of my peripherals or a glance-by. One guy looked at my games once. He's dead.

On a serious note for you guys that genuinely are scared of fluorescent lights fading your games, you're crazy. But back when I used to screen print you were able to use those incandescent yellow "bug bulbs" in the dark room and it wouldn't cure the emulsion (which is designed to do so with UV exposure).

On topic though I'll take a pic of a blue/white Last Battle for genesis at my local flea market. It's terrible.

Ask yourself this, why do they not use CFLs/ Fluorescent in art exhibits?

http://www.nedcc.org/free-resources...-environment/2.4-protection-from-light-damage

tldr; uv damage is always cumulative. CFL bulbs look like shit anyhow, and even if you get the low UV ones it really doesn't make a difference.

The whole goal is to minimize the damage, not prevent it. As there is something even greater and more powerful than sun fading, dark fading. Dark fading is just how stuff degrades in the absence of light.

Personally, I use incandescent and led bulbs.

BlackFlag

Formerly Lamuna
I kept my games in a room lit with fluorescent for more than 10 years and they show no signs of fading. Dont you guys have other urgent things in life to worry about??

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I kept my games in a room lit with fluorescent for more than 10 years and they show no signs of fading. Dont you guys have other urgent things in life to worry about??

You have no idea of the extremes people go to when collecting Neo, specifically AES related items.

I have always stored my AES games in either a glass free cabinet or a dark closet. For the more rare home carts, condition is everything.

BlackFlag

Formerly Lamuna
You have no idea of the extremes people go to when collecting Neo, specifically AES related items.

I have always stored my AES games in either a glass free cabinet or a dark closet. For the more rare home carts, condition is everything.

Sorry but why glass free cabinet??? So that no light can penetrate??