Wish you'd bought the other game

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
In terms of gameplay? I 100% agree.

In terms of resale value? Not even close.

Sure, but do you need the $200 difference that badly after 20 years? I say you made the right call.

For me, I rarely regret purchases, the only thing I can think of is that time period after the Saturn died in the US but Japan was still cranking out the hits I frequently visited the Buy Rite retail store to pick up the imports. I was hardcore into fighting games, not so much into shooters. Most of the imports I picked up were fighting games from Capcom and SNK, and I passed up all the shooters. It made sense at the time, I wouldn't really get into shooters until about 5 years ago, but in 2016 I have no use for a Saturn version of Real Bout Special, but I sure could use Radiant Silvergun, which I passed up for $30.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
This is a reality that most young'uns don't seem to get now.

Game shortages.

I remember games only coming out in limited amounts because of the cart format. It's one of the main reasons why pre-booking a game was important. I went to Wal Mart with a buddy back in 1992 and they had a few copies of SNES Final Fantasy II left. I was broke at the time so I put one on lay-a-way and urged my buddy to do the same. He didn't. I bought my copy and by that time, they were sold out of it. He looked high and low for a copy and never did find one, landed up borrowing mine once I destroyed the game. I pre booked Final Fantasy III and it was the same way, if was horribly hard to find for quite some time.

With disc based games this just isn't an issues anymore...

I never even saw a new copy of FF6. I would go to Toys R Us with the intent that it would be my first choice, but it was never in stock. Silver lining being I randomly went the day Chrono Trigger released and some random at the store told me I should get that instead after hearing me ask for FF6. Good advice there...

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
I never even saw a new copy of FF6. I would go to Toys R Us with the intent that it would be my first choice, but it was never in stock. Silver lining being I randomly went the day Chrono Trigger released and some random at the store told me I should get that instead after hearing me ask for FF6. Good advice there...

I hope you still got FF3 eventually :p It's #1 on my all time favorite list.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's funny...again, if you wanted to be guaranteed to get a copy of a highly anticipated cart game, you had to pre-book it or gamble on finding one. Like I said, Final Fantasy III was a big one, super hard to find in the wild at a store.

I did the same thing with Final Fantasy VII, pre booked it a Babbages. When I showed up at launch and the literally had a seemingly endless supply of the game, I never pre booked again.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Great topic. Mine was going to CompUSA... and seeing a ton of playstation games... I was trying to decide either between beyond the beyond or kof 95.... I chose the game that I thought would last longer......1 hour with it at home, I begged my mom to take me back and I told them the game didn't work..... it was the last copy so I got lucky. Got kof 95 on psx and was pretty happy. I was 12 at the time and would later see that my 95 was crap compared to the Saturn and neo copies. But for those 2 years I thought I made the best decision ever.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Great topic. Mine was going to CompUSA... and seeing a ton of playstation games... I was trying to decide either between beyond the beyond or kof 95.... I chose the game that I thought would last longer......1 hour with it at home, I begged my mom to take me back and I told them the game didn't work..... it was the last copy so I got lucky. Got kof 95 on psx and was pretty happy. I was 12 at the time and would later see that my 95 was crap compared to the Saturn and neo copies. But for those 2 years I thougot I made the best decision ever.

Hell yeah you did. '95 4 lyfe.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
2 that I can think of:
PS1 - Twisted Metal III over Syphon Filter. I loved TM2 and my young mind couldn't comprehend how III was so shitty.
DC - WSB 2K1 over D2. D2 doesn't hold up now but I would have loved it back then. WSB 2K1 is one of the worst games ever made.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
2 that I can think of:
PS1 - Twisted Metal III over Syphon Filter. I loved TM2 and my young mind couldn't comprehend how III was so shitty.
DC - WSB 2K1 over D2. D2 doesn't hold up now but I would have loved it back then. WSB 2K1 is one of the worst games ever made.

I had such good times with TM2.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Oh this is an easy one and it still haunts me to this day. I don't even look at it as a "well Game X has a higher resale value over Game Y" but more in the "I'll never be able to reasonably track one down Game X outside of winning the lottery."

So several years ago I'm in Babbages and I'm still getting my feet wet on game collecting. They were still selling TurboGrafx-16 and Neo-Geo games in their stores to give you how long ago this was. Anyway, Young Me was in there and looking to buy a game. I only had enough scratch to get one game but I had two titles in front of me.

Young Me was more into gaming than collecting at this point so I wanted a game that I could play and enjoy so I tended to gravitate towards RPGs more. The game that won out and ended up getting purchased that fateful day was Neutopia II. I owned the first one already and being a huge Zelda fan who lost innumerable hours to LTTP, it seemed like the no-brainer right?

The game that ended up getting put back on the shelf? Just a quirky little shooter named Magical Chase. :p :oh_no: :( :loco: :help:

I mean I was into shooters as well with some favorites being Life Force and Axelay but at the time, the RPG fan in me managed to suppress the shooter fan. Neutopia II is starting to creep up into obscene prices but nothing as obnoxious as Magical Chase. To be fair, I did kind of rectify my error by picking up the PC Engine and Game Boy Color versions but passing on that is probably my biggest gaming goof I can think of. :emb:

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Twisted Metal 2 in my eyes is one of the rare examples that no matter how the graphics look.....the game holds up well even almost 20 years later.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

I had high hopes for TMIII, but I had played Syphon Filter beforehand, and when I saw that 989 (ugh) was the developer on TMIII, I decided to wait until I saw how it played.

I thought SF was good on its own, but I LOVED Jet Moto and TM, and when I heard Singletrac closed up, I didnt bother playing the sequels.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Honestly, I played the shit out of every NES game we bought. I really dont remember any regrets at my current age.
I really rented games more than anything. Those mistakes didn't really stick with me.

I want to say some of my genesis picks were more hit and miss.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Great topic. Mine was going to CompUSA... and seeing a ton of playstation games... I was trying to decide either between beyond the beyond or kof 95.... I chose the game that I thought would last longer......1 hour with it at home, I begged my mom to take me back and I told them the game didn't work..... it was the last copy so I got lucky. Got kof 95 on psx and was pretty happy. I was 12 at the time and would later see that my 95 was crap compared to the Saturn and neo copies. But for those 2 years I thought I made the best decision ever.

Man, I played the shit out of KOF95 PSX back in the day. I knew it was an inferior port, but there was no way I could play the Neo version (my local arcade had stopped getting new Neo games at that point) and Saturn imports were not happening when I was 15. For the time it was awesome, warts and all. Same with Samurai Shodown 3, to a lesser extent.

Now Marvel vs Street Fighter PSX? That game was a load of horseshit and I knew it was awful as soon as I played it. The only reason I don't list it in my regrets is because my wallet was stolen the next day so it wouldn't have mattered if I had spent the cash.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Honestly, I played the shit out of every NES game we bought. I really dont remember any regrets at my current age.
I really rented games more than anything. Those mistakes didn't really stick with me.

I want to say some of my genesis picks were more hit and miss.

That's another issue...the"bad choice" rental. Back before the interwebs, game magazines, etc...all I had to rent off of is box art/descriptions. I made some shit choices back when and nothing was worse than your single Friday night rental being a turd.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
2 that I can think of:

Here's a fun fact. There is a dude in my office that prominently displays a Greatest Hits copy of TMIII on his desk. Not just sitting off to the side... PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED. One of these years I'm gonna ask him why.

I guess I haven't because he might tell me that he worked on the game or something... and I'll reply "Yeah...1 & 2 were great!"

Last edited:

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
That's another issue...the"bad choice" rental. Back before the interwebs, game magazines, etc...all I had to rent off of is box art/descriptions. I made some shit choices back when and nothing was worse than your single Friday night rental being a turd.

Where in the world is Carmen San Diego. WHERE THE FUCK IS THE BOOK? GOD DAMN BLOCKBASTARD

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yea was at a KB toy store I believe, my "friend" talked me out of getting for the nes P.O.W and got hydlide nes instead.....

worst mistake ever. If you've never seed hydlide youtube it.
Weird RPG. The Genesis sequel Super Hydlide was cool and I played it alot.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
:crying: I know... but it bothers me that he's so damn proud of such shit game for some reason.

Why don't you just ask him, then? "Hey man. Just wondering why you have that horrible abomination of a steaming pile of hot garbage so prominently displayed in your cubicle. Actually, I'm just asking for a friend."

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
When I was 10 I argued with my Mom and ended up with Total Recall.

My Brother in-law offered me a used copy of Bionic Commando when he was working a video store.

Fuck me.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It's funny...again, if you wanted to be guaranteed to get a copy of a highly anticipated cart game, you had to pre-book it or gamble on finding one. Like I said, Final Fantasy III was a big one, super hard to find in the wild at a store.

I did the same thing with Final Fantasy VII, pre booked it a Babbages. When I showed up at launch and the literally had a seemingly endless supply of the game, I never pre booked again.

Final Fantasy III wasn't hard to find at all, at least in my area. However, Final Fantasy II... I saw a few copies at Target ONCE. When I went back to buy it a few weeks later, they were sold out. Never got any more copies. Never saw them new anywhere else either, so I eventually found a used copy at EB.