Wish you'd bought the other game

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
Anybody have any memories of having to pick between buying two different games, and in retrospect you wish you'd bought the other one? Examples?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
As a kid I got one game per Christmas. One year I was deciding between Streets of Rage 2 or Eternal Champions. Yeah, I fucked up.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Yea was at a KB toy store I believe, my "friend" talked me out of getting for the nes P.O.W and got hydlide nes instead.....

worst mistake ever. If you've never seed hydlide youtube it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I went to a local video store that was closing

They had Mario RPG and Earthbound sitting there for $15, both had a complete box with it. Being broke at the time, I only had the coin for one game. I picked Mario RPG

Bad choice there.

A local video store that rented SNES games was selling out there stuff?alked right fucking past ninja Gaiden Trilogy on the SNES. At the time, I wasn't a fan of the game so I didn't think it would be worth a ton years later.

Idiot.

In the late 90's, found this local kid selling his SNES RPG collection. $20/game. He had (complete in box mind you), Final Fantasy II, III, and a ton of other SNES games like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, etc. All complete in perfect condition. All I wanted at the time was Final Fantasy II, so that was all I bought (already had FFIII complete in box).

Fucking dumb...

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Anybody have any memories of having to pick between buying two different games, and in retrospect you wish you'd bought the other one? Examples?

I chose Bayou Billy over Double Dragon. The guy behind the counter told me Bayou was better because I could drive in a jeep and use my zapper. SOMETHING NOT POSSIBLE IN DOUBLE DRAGON!! NYAH!

Fuck that guy. Luckily I ended up getting Double Dragon a year later.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
as a kid, my dad took me and my cousin to a video store to pick out a nes game. out of all the top name games we could of picked, we ended up getting top gun because we was a fan of the movie. i knew we made the wrong decision with in the first two minutes of playing the game. least to say, we did get our money's worth, because we played it for about six months. because that's just how kids were back then. we played a game to the end whether it was good or not.

another one is when my dad decided to buy me my own console. we went to the store and i picked the master system over the nes. one of the biggest mistakes of my childhood. i regretted that decision every time i walked past a game store.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
As a kid I got one game per Christmas. One year I was deciding between Streets of Rage 2 or Eternal Champions. Yeah, I fucked up.

That's gotta be /thread right there.

I don't really personally recall ever being in that position. I feel like every time I went to the store to get a new NES game, I was picking between all the B and C-grade leftover shit because all of the A-list titles were always out of stock. So whatever I picked was going to be mediocre.

I will say that I waited until 2001 to buy Castlevania SotN because I was annoyed by all of the hype that it got. I picked up a lot of games instead of that one, and that was definitely a fuck-up. I ended up getting it though, so whatever.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
as a kid, my dad took me and my cousin to a video store to pick out a nes game. out of all the top name games we could of picked, we ended up getting top gun because we was a fan of the movie.

nes-top-gun-autor-18523.png

Bwahahahahah. I played that game so much that I could still hear the engine noise in my ears for hours after playing it.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
nes-top-gun-autor-18523.png

Bwahahahahah. I played that game so much that I could still hear the engine noise in my ears for hours after playing it.

lol as did we. it took me and my cousin around five months to get to the fifth stage. we hated the game, but wanted to progress on to the next level, hoping that there would be something that resembles the movie. may be a cut scene or a 8 bit transition of the berlin song, take my breath away or danger zone lol

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
lol as did we. it took me and my cousin around five months to get to the fifth stage. we hated the game, but wanted to progress on to the next level, hoping that there would be something that resembles the movie. may be a cut scene or a 8 bit transition of the berlin song, take my breath away or danger zone lol

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

They had Mario RPG and Earthbound sitting there for $15, both had a complete box with it. Being broke at the time, I only had the coin for one game. I picked Mario RPG

Bad choice there.

Nah, Mario RPG > Earthbound.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Well if we're going to make this thread about games that we missed out on flipping, then we can all kick ourselves for not clearing out Kay-Bee Toys' clearance bin on a regular basis.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Well if we're going to make this thread about games that we missed out on flipping, then we can all kick ourselves for not clearing out Kay-Bee Toys' clearance bin on a regular basis.

that reminds me of when i was at a clearance sale as a kid and i picked up night trap over keios flying squadron.

no regerts.

Speed3

Marked Wolf
Well not so much a game but a systemimage.jpeg

Yeah... I bought one of these near the end of its lifecycle. I played the hell out of it beat wing commander 3 countless times. But yeah not the best choice

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yea was at a KB toy store I believe, my "friend" talked me out of getting for the nes P.O.W and got hydlide nes instead.....

worst mistake ever. If you've never seed hydlide youtube it.

My most of my stories revolve around KB

Buying an N64 instead of a Sega Saturn...Summer 96 man I remember the Saturn was on clearance and had a bunch of Working Design (I knew they were the shit because of Gamepro) games right there for the picking. Instead of buying a fully loaded Saturn, I bought a bare N64. Couldn't afford a game since N64 carts were like 80 bucks at the time

I tend to wonder how different my childhood would have been without my trusty n64 though.

Oh and Toys R' Us...buying a couple of whatever Genesis games (Wiley Coyote in Desert Demolition and some other bullshit) instead of both BoF games $10 and $20 respectively....the only reason i didnt buy the Breath of Fire games is because the US box art was so awful. Sucks because I was a HUGE RPG fan back then but didn't know what they were called or how to find them. Little did I know those were EXACTLY the kind of games of searching for.

Stupid bad box art...

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I had my Choice between a brand new KOF 99 Kit or a Prehistoric Isle 2 kit at my local arcade dealer and I went with 99. Hey, I was a huge KOF fan and 99 was new, so whatever.

Tanooki

War Room Troll

Bad choice there.

A local video store that rented SNES games was selling out there stuff?alked right fucking past ninja Gaiden Trilogy on the SNES. At the time, I wasn't a fan of the game so I didn't think it would be worth a ton years later.

Idiot.

In the late 90's, found this local kid selling his SNES RPG collection. $20/game. He had (complete in box mind you), Final Fantasy II, III, and a ton of other SNES games like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, etc. All complete in perfect condition. All I wanted at the time was Final Fantasy II, so that was all I bought (already had FFIII complete in box).

Fucking dumb...

You're not dumb in the least bit. You're not a failed psychic. It's random what predatory pieces of shit decide to turn into the next cash cow to profit off both peoples memories and a newer generation of me-too hipsters who hop on the band wagon. It could have ended up being Sega and Nintendo switching places on having value or no value, or maybe instead of games it would have been some other item people had to have.

I remember before having to decide on buying one game over another, problem is I forget the one I wish I had and just remember how badly I was unhappy with the game I ended up with being on a budget. Both were SNES games -- Actraiser 2 and Yoshi's Island. It made me wish I had internet at the time. :( AR2 with its wonky design and no SIM I'd never have touched, and the other I really thought it was a SMW2 sequel since they called it that and felt ripped off as the Yoshi game didn't do much for me (still have it, it's not awful but I am not in love with it.)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I remember when I was a kid and my Mom took me to Babbages to buy a Nintendo game for my Bday and I had to chose between Double Dragon 3 or Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu. Ended up choosing the really hard game.

xorthen

Banned
That's gotta be /thread right there.

I don't really personally recall ever being in that position. I feel like every time I went to the store to get a new NES game, I was picking between all the B and C-grade leftover shit because all of the A-list titles were always out of stock. So whatever I picked was going to be mediocre.

I will say that I waited until 2001 to buy Castlevania SotN because I was annoyed by all of the hype that it got. I picked up a lot of games instead of that one, and that was definitely a fuck-up. I ended up getting it though, so whatever.

Wow, epic fail. What a noob

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I feel like every time I went to the store to get a new NES game, I was picking between all the B and C-grade leftover shit because all of the A-list titles were always out of stock. So whatever I picked was going to be mediocre.

This is a reality that most young'uns don't seem to get now.

Game shortages.

I remember games only coming out in limited amounts because of the cart format. It's one of the main reasons why pre-booking a game was important. I went to Wal Mart with a buddy back in 1992 and they had a few copies of SNES Final Fantasy II left. I was broke at the time so I put one on lay-a-way and urged my buddy to do the same. He didn't. I bought my copy and by that time, they were sold out of it. He looked high and low for a copy and never did find one, landed up borrowing mine once I destroyed the game. I pre booked Final Fantasy III and it was the same way, if was horribly hard to find for quite some time.

With disc based games this just isn't an issues anymore...