Wish list for the inevitable N64 Classic

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
So the NES Classic was a huge success, despite many of the games not having aged well. The SNES Classic has been announced and is sure to be another hit as this is when Nintendo was really hitting their stride. Which leads us to the obvious conclusion that they will eventually be releasing a mini version of the system that defined modern 3D gaming as we know it today: The Nintendo 64.

Obviously 4-player capability is a must have, I assume one bundled controller would be included. I doubt they still have the molds for the original controllers, but I would imagine they'll make an improved version that looks the same, but has a more durable analog stick than the original. It'd be great if they made convertors to use the new sticks on the original hardware but that won't happen outside of the homebrew scene. Wireless versions or maybe wireless adapters would be great, especially for 4-player sessions.

The main difference I think we'll see in the N64 version is something like a DS card slot for additional game packs. It's pretty easy to pick 30 NES or SNES games to include on a classic re-issue, but that's a much harder task on the N64. That said, I figure they'd have 25 games built-in and then sell additional carts containing 5-10 games.

Here's what I think should be included:
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Blast Corps
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Cruis'n USA
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • DK64
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • Excite bike 64
  • Goldeneye
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  • LoZ: OoT
  • Mario Golf
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Mario Party
  • Mario Tennis
  • Perfect Dark
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Ridge Racer 64
  • Star Fox 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Wave Race 64
  • Yoshi's Story

The additional game packs could be themed, maybe a sports pack with some of the wrestling games and an ISS game. Maybe one that includes all the excellent Star Wars games. Release this in the holiday season of say 2018 and they've got a winner IMO.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Kirby
Legend of the Mystical Ninja games
Neon Genesis: Evangelion
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Super Mario 64
Zelda

These are literally all the N64 games I even remotely care about.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Why isn't this in the Warroom? ;)

Other than a wrestling game which you covered, pretty solid line up, mm.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I don't think they'll ever make a N64 mini and even if they do, none of the Rare stuff is going to make it, except for Donkey Kong 64. It's pretty much the only N64 game developed by Rare that Nintendo still owns.

For Diddy Kong Racing to be included, they'd have to remove the Rare characters from the game (Banjo and Conker), and I'm pretty sure they have better things to do than investing time and effort into modifying some 15 cents N64 rom :keke:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Winback. Possibly the thing that saved the 64 for me. I loved that game. Koei decided to knock off metal gear. And made a game that had good controls, smooth graphics, an easy ui, great gameplay, and some tough bosses. If Nintendo do a 64 mini I hope it's expandable like the nes one is. Because I'd be adding that game. I know it wouldn't make the cut.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
So the NES Classic was a huge success, despite many of the games not having aged well. The SNES Classic has been announced and is sure to be another hit as this is when Nintendo was really hitting their stride. Which leads us to the obvious conclusion that they will eventually be releasing a mini version of the system that defined modern 3D gaming as we know it today: The Nintendo 64.

Obviously 4-player capability is a must have, I assume one bundled controller would be included. I doubt they still have the molds for the original controllers, but I would imagine they'll make an improved version that looks the same, but has a more durable analog stick than the original. It'd be great if they made convertors to use the new sticks on the original hardware but that won't happen outside of the homebrew scene. Wireless versions or maybe wireless adapters would be great, especially for 4-player sessions.

The main difference I think we'll see in the N64 version is something like a DS card slot for additional game packs. It's pretty easy to pick 30 NES or SNES games to include on a classic re-issue, but that's a much harder task on the N64. That said, I figure they'd have 25 games built-in and then sell additional carts containing 5-10 games.

• 1080 Snowboarding
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Blast Corps
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Cruis'n USA
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • DK64
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • Excite bike 64
  • Goldeneye
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Mario Golf
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Mario Party
  • Mario Tennis
  • Perfect Dark
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Ridge Racer 64
  • Star Fox 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Wave Race 64
  • Yoshi's Story

The additional game packs could be themed, maybe a sports pack with some of the wrestling games and an ISS game. Maybe one that includes all the excellent Star Wars games. Release this in the holiday season of say 2018 and they've got a winner IMO.

So much text for such an awful system.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Make it shaped like a garbage can...

So it can finally serve a purpose besides being a piece of trash.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Winback. Possibly the thing that saved the 64 for me. I loved that game. Koei decided to knock off metal gear. And made a game that had good controls, smooth graphics, an easy ui, great gameplay, and some tough bosses. If Nintendo do a 64 mini I hope it's expandable like the nes one is. Because I'd be adding that game. I know it wouldn't make the cut.

Never played that one, will have to check it out.

A N64 classic would have to have Shadows of the Empire and F-Zero IMO.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm holding back for the Virtual Boy Classic.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I think there is a greater chance of Sony releasing a Playstation Classic.

I also think a list of 30 PSX titles would be more challenging and more varied than N64.

madman

I think there is a greater chance of Sony releasing a Playstation Classic.

I also think a list of 30 PSX titles would be more challenging and more varied than N64.

Shouldn't you be leering at a girl scout troop on a hiking trail somewhere you stroked out pedo?

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Yeah, I'd give it a second glance if Goemon, Star Soldier, Paper Mario, Harvest Moon, Pok駑on Puzzle League, and F-Zero were in there.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I personally think they won't make an n64 classic. it would just be too costly, particularly with regards to reproducing the controller decently and keeping all costs low that they could sell cheap and still make profit.

in any case should it happen there are some awesome games mentioned for it, and it would be great if it where to happen, that they could sort out some of the graphical fidelity issues.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
oh my god are preorders open yet???

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

• 1080 Snowboarding
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Blast Corps
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Cruis'n USA
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • DK64
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • Excite bike 64
  • Goldeneye
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Mario Golf
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Mario Party
  • Mario Tennis
  • Perfect Dark
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Ridge Racer 64
  • Star Fox 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Wave Race 64
  • Yoshi's Story

OHH god, please ban now.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I personally think they won't make an n64 classic. it would just be too costly, particularly with regards to reproducing the controller decently and keeping all costs low that they could sell cheap and still make profit.

in any case should it happen there are some awesome games mentioned for it, and it would be great if it where to happen, that they could sort out some of the graphical fidelity issues.

They'd probably use the Wii controller ( forget it's name ) with the analog stick.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Solid list of games. I'd add Shadows of the Empire and Tony Hawk to the list. That said, not sure N64 sparks nostalgia the same way as an NES or SNES. Most non-retro gaming people I know who have fired up an N64 in recent history respond with "Oh God, how did we ever play this?"

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Oh man, these N64 threads are so awesome keep 'em coming. If this gets made it will be a day one purchase for me.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I don't think Nintendo would sell additional carts if the NES CE is any indication. They'd if anything not leave an open data port on the back of the box forcing hackers to wire something into it internally to abuse it keeping most people out of using it as a warez box. They'd also probably stick to that 30 game limit, maybe a little less like your 25. I'd also figure they'd probably try and cut it similarly to how they did on the NES with 2/3 of them being in the majority.

Knowing MS would be cunty about it, Rare stuff would be out, Goldeneye included with all the licensing hoops.

Beetle Adventure Racing
Bomberman Hero
Bust-A-Move
Castlevania Legacy of Darkness
Dr Mario 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Kirby 64
Mario Golf 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Tennis 64
Mario Party (one of the 3)
Mega Man 64
Mystical Ninja Starring Ganbare Goemon
Paper Mario
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Rayman 2
Resident Evil 2
Snowboard Kids 1 or 2
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Starfox 64
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros
Tetrisphere(if licensing isn't a problem)
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

That should be 30 Those were big sellers mixed with some third parties that contributed to the NES CE with Capcom and Konami titles.

madman

Beetle Racing is one I had to trim from my list, it's a good one. I'm not sure how accessible Paper Mario would be to the average person. Rayman 2 and a Snowboard Kids are good too. Maybe the 2nd one since it has all the varied levels though it'd almost work better as a kart racer given the track content.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Rayman 2 is the only Christmas present I remember getting, playing once and then just thinking, 'mom, dad, I love you. but I just can't do this'.