Why is Kizuna Encounter (European version) so rare?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The question was already answered in one post of mine thought. Shock Troopers 2 got no english release, so when i buy a copy of em go figure.

No need to get excited, I could imagine lithy's question did not concern jpn-only releases, but those released both inside and outside of Japan. And yes, they sold those, too. SNK had no strict consistency, so did MARO.

That's the key question with that advert - it doesn't say whether the titles are Japanese or English, ...

But at least it does say Ultimate 11, not Super Sidekicks 4 or Tokuten Ou - Hono no Libero. Anyway, I'm with frazer99 here:

I believe Kizuna and Ultimate 11 to be genuine and I would expect that SNK shipped a small amount to the distributors in Europe (Germany, UK, possibly Italy/France) to test the market for those titles. Effectively sale/return basis. If no-one bought them (and they clearly didn't) they returned them to SNK and they were re-purposed for the Japanese market. Production runs around 1996 I would expect to have been around 500 carts but that is just my estimate (not fact).

This is also evident:

Given the cartridges themselves were universal it was only a matter of printing an insert, manual and sticker to make an 'english' copy.

A friend of mine, Takato, had an Ultimate 11, which he sold to, iirc, FTL, who came with Fran to Köln to pick it up first-hand. According to Takato, his copy had a double label, which fits frazer99's test the market assumption. It would be interesting to know, if all U11's came with double labels. Then again, both Kizuna's I know (formerly Herzog Drei & BRANDI copies) have no doubles, so it could be either way.

chamane

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I have seen a U11 with double label (it came from Switzerland and had no manual).
My copy and Bahamut's one had only one euro sticker).
Regards.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yes, even MVS copies of Kizuna Encounter (again English in particular) are quite scarce. Especially the art packs & kit boxes. They are practically like English Last Blade 2 rare!

Is this why I had three copies and a kit bit/box come through my hands within 2 years of each other? Seems kinda odd that three copies would be in my city sitting in a ops place.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Is this why I had three copies and a kit bit/box come through my hands within 2 years of each other? Seems kinda odd that three copies would be in my city sitting in a ops place.

Your mileage may vary.
Seriously though, some carts turn up less often in different parts of the country; and the world. Remember when a dozen bran new mint US MVS super dodge ball kits turned up in Austria? Shawn couldn’t give them away at $50 a pop. Now, you can’t even find a loose English cart for $200.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Pointless thread because Kizuna is lame terrible game and that is an indisputable fact...worst character design of any SNK game EVER!!! Worse than Savage Reign!!!

Ninja Masters > Kizuna Encounter by a bajillion miles.

Anyone who disagrees is a bloody fool!!!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Pointless thread because Kizuna is lame terrible game and that is an indisputable fact...worst character design of any SNK game EVER!!! Worse than Savage Reign!!!

Ninja Masters > Kizuna Encounter by a bajillion miles.

Anyone who disagrees is a bloody fool!!!

I must be a bloody fool. I like the gayness that is Kizuna Encounter. The gameplay is silly though

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ninja Master’s is the better game though. It’s not even close.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
It’s best not to try and find reason for why I do the things that I do

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Ok but seriously, Wasabi can I have your Ninja Masters homecart? Early Christmas present. Lotfan

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ok but seriously, Wasabi can I have your Ninja Masters homecart? Early Christmas present. Lotfan

It’s for sale. Just send me $2000. Considering inflation and cost of sellers remorse, that’s a good deal.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Yeah, I thought it was not a separate cart either. Also, isn't there another Neo Geo game that has a 4 player board?

Neo bomberman was supposed to be four player, it has placeholders for the 3/4p icons

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Hey buddy!
Who's the sysadmin nowadays?
Have they heard of let's encrypt? :)