Finally Fuun/Kizuna 4 Players in Action video!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi, sorry if I'm repeating a little, but I'm happy I was able to record (probably) the first video ever that shows Kizuna's 4 players mode in action :upf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl9ktS5cyGU

everything started in NeoTurfMasta thread:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217087

and in the last page finally we were able to make the daughterboard work.

I would thank Brian, Raz and MKL for the support, as starting from this board it could be possible to replicate the interface and use the special version of the game with an alternative for that rare item.

:360:

Last edited by a moderator:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
WOW, can't wait to get home and check that out!

Just to clarify, did you modify preexisting Kizuna carts to be 4P compatible? Or were new carts made? To my knowledge, there aren't Kizuna carts out there with the ports for the jumpers between carts for 4P play.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
The trickiest part will now be finding three other people that enjoy that piece of shit.

;)

Seriously: Nice job, that's a damn cool project.

Tomcat

NG.com No.1 Ranked Trader.Also, Donated $600+ to N
you ve done another great one my friend

regards

Tom(ITA)

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
WOW, can't wait to get home and check that out!

Just to clarify, did you modify preexisting Kizuna carts to be 4P compatible? Or were new carts made? To my knowledge, there aren't Kizuna carts out there with the ports for the jumpers between carts for 4P play.

Only one cart my friend.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member

Herrrr...no, "no carts were harmed during the making of this movie" (!)

Long story short, in '96 SNK tried this 4Players setup in Osaka in few location test, but then it was never used in regular arcades.

It was composed by a normal Fuun MVS kit, a MV1B with special bios and a 4Player "splitter" FTC1 daughterboard interface to hookup 2 cabinet for VS mode.

Digging around here you'll find some old thread and a picture of the complete original boxset, which means it was definitively not a prototype, but a not-commercialized finished product.

I was able to get a brand new boxed FTC1 daughterboard with artworks, but no "special" MV1B....:hammer:

Placing a unibios (with NeoBiosMasta) on a normal MV1B did the trick, so the daughterboard did the rest, managing the 4 players inputs.

NeoTurfMasta could clone that board now that it's tested, and possibly we could all benefit from that :upf:

Edit:

more details here:

http://www.neogeoland.jp/F1B4P.html

Last edited:

BRANDI

Franco's Trainer
20 Year Member
Great video, thanks for sharing it.... :multi_co:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
You should plug in a NeoBomberMan just for kicks.

:D I tried, but nothing :(

I think that should use two carts ala league bowling, cause the players should controlled at the same time and probably the Kizuna kit can't handle them.

Maybe it was asked before, but no 4P code was found in NeoBom"bar"man rom right!?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Herrrr...no, "no carts were harmed during the making of this movie" (!)

Long story short, in '96 SNK tried this 4Players setup in Osaka in few location test, but then it was never used in regular arcades.

It was composed by a normal Fuun MVS kit, a MV1B with special bios and a 4Player "splitter" FTC1 daughterboard interface to hookup 2 cabinet for VS mode.

Digging around here you'll find some old thread and a picture of the complete original boxset, which means it was definitively not a prototype, but a not-commercialized finished product.

I was able to get a brand new boxed FTC1 daughterboard with artworks, but no "special" MV1B....:hammer:

Placing a unibios (with NeoBiosMasta) on a normal MV1B did the trick, so the daughterboard did the rest, managing the 4 players inputs.

NeoTurfMasta could clone that board now that it's tested, and possibly we could all benefit from that :upf:

Edit:

more details here:

http://www.neogeoland.jp/F1B4P.html

Wow, that's awesome! Such a cool project, Massimiliano! So it uses a single cart and mobo on two cabs? That's so cool!

I was going to ask if NTM could copy the PCB - awesome to hear it's doable.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Congrats! That was great, the neo never ceases to amaze me. Who'd of thought we would still be finding new things to do with it for this long?

PS - It's a shame about Neo Bomberman, but I suppose you just can't have it all :p.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Awesome, now post a video of 3 people actually playing the game with you.

Last edited:

Dio Brando

Mickey's Coach
Most impressive, massimiliano!

I know jack diddly squat about programming, but does anybody know how difficult would it be to create 4P coding that would be compatible with the original Neo Bomberman code and use the same/similar daughterboard used for Kizuna?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I still think bomberman was originally planned to use the HERO PROG board for using the com port on it for 4 player linked play same as Riding Hero linking.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I think that should use two carts ala league bowling, cause the players should controlled at the same time and probably the Kizuna kit can't handle them.

I still think bomberman was originally planned to use the HERO PROG board for using the com port on it for 4 player linked play same as Riding Hero linking.

For the hell of it I burned NBM on my dev board. I didnt want to pull the comm IC from any of my link carts, so I ordered one off of eBay a few days ago. Should get it here soon. But for now I just wanted to make sure I burned the eproms correctly. I used the orig char board from NBM and just the prog board from my dev board.

NBMDev1.JPG

NBMDev2.JPG

I'm not all that optimistic it will magically come up when I put in the comm chip, but doesnt hurt to try. If any of you guys want to poke through the NBM code, please do. I wouldnt know what I'm looking for.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Shit, I forgot you had that.

Let us know what happens when you drop the chip in.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
whatever happened to this site ?
it seems full of idiots busy bashing fuun stb and other awesome neo geo games

please,go back to gamefaqs or just don't post in general discussion at all
unrelated is your place if you have no good taste or neo-knowledge

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
seriously, I do not understand how someone can bash a game like kizuna.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
seriously, I do not understand how someone can bash a game like kizuna.

I love kizuna and I know I would fucking love 4 player kizuna. A long time ago I had a vision of playing 4 player SFII, tag team style. I thought it was a good idea and still think it is. At least SNK thought about it, too.

Weirdly though I don't care much for Savage Reign, must be the tagging I love in Kizuna.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
the direction team fighting games should evolve is into multiplayer. games like KOF can easily work with 6 players, local and online if they wanted to.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
No workie. Game will start to boot up, but locks on title screen. Below are the most common errors.

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG