Why in the hell is it being called 'the Senate GOP coronavirus relief bill'?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
All the news is calling it that, just googling it gives me deja vu of Sinclair broadcasting using the same words for all the different tv stations.

Included is $1,750,000,000 for a new FBI headquarters in DC - why is this important?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
GOP still has a fragile control of Senate and desperately wants to buy votes and defend their seats. They know voters are on their last straw with them.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
They can rename bills at their discretion, and they want (need) the credit to counter the numerous fumbles that are associated with the pandemic response.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
When am I going to get my second $1200? I have camping gear and synthesizers to buy.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
When am I going to get my second $1200? I have camping gear and synthesizers to buy.

Get in line at the fed money tap!

Once it is turned on, then the betters will have first drink anyway, you'll get the effluent.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
2 cents on the dollar? LOLWTF.

Despite you offering more than 30 times what Mr. Wentworth will offer I’ll just wait.

It’s my money and I’ll get it when the overlords deem me fit to have my own property back :emb:

Not as catchy but it’ll do.

So are the two parties just going to meet in the middle on the bill? $400 extra a week in unemployment?

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/509363-senate-gop-coronavirus-bill-includes-294b-for-pentagon

The Pentagon would get nearly $30 billion under the Senate Republicans’ coronavirus relief plan, including $8 billion for weapons systems.

The $29.4 billion for the Pentagon is included in the $1 trillion coronavirus aid package Senate Republicans released Monday night.

Democrats have already declared the bill a non-starter, but it lays out Republicans and the White House’s priorities heading into negotiations.

Republicans are defending the funding for acquisition programs as supporting the defense industrial base at a time of economic hardship and job losses, but Democrats are blasting it as a giveaway to defense contractors.

Of the military hardware included in the bill, $686 million would go toward the Air Force’s Lockheed Martin-made F-35A fighter jet. The Air Force would also get $720 million for Lockheed C-130J transport planes and $650 million for A-10 wing replacements, which Boeing is contracted to do.

The bill would also allocate about $1.1 billion for the Navy’s Boeing-made P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol planes, as well as $1.45 billion for four expeditionary medical ships, $260 million for one expeditionary fast transport ship, $250 million for for amphibious shipbuilding and $250 million for the surface combatant supplier base program.

Several of the weapons programs that would get funding previously lost money when the Trump administration took Pentagon funding to use on the southern border wall earlier this year. In February, the Pentagon announced it was redirecting $3.8 billion from programs including the F-35A, the P-8A, the expeditionary fast transport ship, the C-130J and unspecified National Guard and reserves equipment.

The GOP Senate coronavirus bill would appropriate $800 million toward the National Guard and reserves’ equipment account.

The Army, meanwhile, would get $375 million to upgrade Stryker Double V-Hull armored fighting vehicles and $283 million for new Boeing AH–64 Apache helicopters.

The bill would also provide $319.6 million for a new battery of the missile defense system known as Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, as well as radars for the battery. Another $65.8 million would go toward hypersonic missile defense, $39.2 million for cruise missile defense, $200 million for the homeland missile defense system known as the Ground-Based Midcourse Defense system and $290 million for a space-based missile sensor layer.

Apart from the hardware, the bill would also provide $11 billion to reimburse defense contractors for coronavirus-related expenses.

The coronavirus relief package Congress passed in March, known as the CARES Act, gave the Pentagon the authority to reimburse contractors over coronavirus-related delays and other issues, but did not appropriate any money toward that end. Defense contractors and the Pentagon have been pushing for the funding, warning the department could have to tap into other accounts that could jeopardize readiness.

The bill also includes $705 million for defense health programs to boost manufacturing of therapeutic drugs and buy more medical personal protective equipment.

It would provide $2.6 billion for operations and maintenance funding. The money is in part intended to be used to build temporary facilities to house U.S. troops deploying to or returning from overseas who need to isolate.

The bill would also set aside $5.3 billion for the Pentagon to use for the Defense Production Act, which it has been invoking to speed the emergency production of supplies to respond to the pandemic.

Bernie brings up a good point:
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1287887981106335746

Basically, this is embezzlement.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What the fuck.

I mean, not unexpected, but seriously...? There are still a lot of Americans pretty hard up over job losses.

Guess we need to have the tools to murder brown people.

lithy

20 Year Member
More likely it just allows more money to disappear into black ops or far more boring good ol' fashioned government grift type stuff. Just bloat up the budget of the already stupidly bloated F-35 lol, they must know we're stupid.

Then I have to go read op ed pieces from former military guys that slide into contractor positions about how we aren't prepared for a conflict with China and need to spend more money.

If the Chinese beat us, the first response I will want is to put all of those leeches' heads on a pike. Then we'll worry about freeing ourselves from the rule of territorial governor LoneSage.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
More likely it just allows more money to disappear into black ops or far more boring good ol' fashioned government grift type stuff. Just bloat up the budget of the already stupidly bloated F-35 lol, they must know we're stupid.

Then I have to go read op ed pieces from former military guys that slide into contractor positions about how we aren't prepared for a conflict with China and need to spend more money.

If the Chinese beat us, the first response I will want is to put all of those leeches' heads on a pike. Then we'll worry about freeing ourselves from the rule of territorial governor LoneSage.

I wonder if Dion's purple suit was made in China. It looks like a Chinese suit. Like something LoneSage might wear.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

I'm sitting on a bunch of camping gear thanks to Maryland fucking up and going on the NY/NJ/CT quarantine list.

So instead of paying $30 a day to camp on the beach at Assateague, I have to shell out $250 a night to stay at a motel on the Beach in NJ. And the State of MD gets to keep my non-refundable campsite fee. Even though they fucked up the response.

lithy

20 Year Member
I'm sitting on a bunch of camping gear thanks to Maryland fucking up and going on the NY/NJ/CT quarantine list.

So instead of paying $30 a day to camp on the beach at Assateague, I have to shell out $250 a night to stay at a motel on the Beach in NJ. And the State of MD gets to keep my non-refundable campsite fee. Even though they fucked up the response.

lol

NYC 280 deaths per 100k
NY (minus NYC) 79 deaths per 100k
NJ 177 deaths per 100k
CT 124 deaths per 100k
MD 57 deaths per 100k

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Again with the attempts to minimize this nightmare w/ stats. You are a bellend. 150k of your fellow citizens dead in 5 months.

It’s still just like the flu, right?

lithy

20 Year Member
Again with the attempts to minimize this nightmare w/ stats. You are a bellend. 150k of your fellow citizens dead in 5 months.

It’s still just like the flu, right?

norton thinks MD 'fucked up the response' so he's mad that he can't go camping.

Instead he's going to NJ, a state with over 3x as many deaths.

How is that me trying to minimize it?

You're on a hair trigger and still can't look at this with a rational mind, but keep on keeping on with your animal instincts.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah I don't understand why The Fish thought it was a good idea to travel to another state in the first place. I mean, I get it, but you know.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
norton thinks MD 'fucked up the response' so he's mad that he can't go camping.

Instead he's going to NJ, a state with over 3x as many deaths.

How is that me trying to minimize it?

You're on a hair trigger and still can't look at this with a rational mind, but keep on keeping on with your animal instincts.

just going to a state like New Jersey only increases your risk if you interact with the locals, possibly visiting the homes of covid19 victims to acquire large collections of vinyl.