What is the best Fatal Fury game?

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
After playing in the arcade, I was like, yeah it seems great! But after a couple weeks I just kept feeling unsatisfied when I'd play it. I kind of felt all "Huh? WTF?" too, because I thought I liked it, but, by week 3, I just left it on the shelf and played RB 1.
Take this line and apply it to Art of Fighting 2, and that's my story with that particular game. It's amazing how arcades can make games wow and impress, but sometimes once you get home the story changes.

Yeah, a couple months more in development and SNK could've really polished off RB2. But then, look at the time frame it came out. Unless I'm sadly mistaken Samurai Shodown IV came out around then as well, and I don't even need to point out all the rehash that poor game suffered. It makes me think that SNK was hurting for cash and boomed out a couple of titles they knew would rake in fast revenue.

I wish those rumors circulating a while back about a Real Bout 3 being in the works had panned out. Can you imagine what they could do given some time to really work on and perfect a new Real Bout? Maybe they could use it as a "springboard" into the Mark of the Wolves story line. Oh well....

ajflutie

n00b
1)Real Bout Fatal Fury: The best one to me by far. Not even close. The 2 plane system is ditched for a dodge up and down line plane which is way better then jumping back and forth to 2 planes over and over again IMO. It is the only FF that features "Out of Bounds" after breaking barriers which makes the game unique compared to the others. The move list for the majority of players is WAY better. If you are an Andy Bogard fan, this is his best game! By far! This game still ranks #1 FF over MOTW.

2) MOTW.

3) Real Bout Special: Has the original 2 plane system, no out of bounds, move list is not as good as RBFF. But RBS has better backgrounds and the music could be argued as better. So if you are a fan of the original 2 plane and no out of bounds, you might like this one better. If the move list was close to the same from FFRB I might like this one more, but FFRB still would be #1.

4) All other FF are under whelming. Fatal Fury Special is a dinosaur in game speed / move list and the moves they do have are half "charge" techniques.

To me, FFRB is the unique game of the series that defines how FF is different from other fighting games.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Love RBS, MOTW and FF2. All hold a special meaning of nostolgia to me. Ifor I can have one, it's RBS.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
My favourite fighter series on the Neo (and maybe any system). For me my favourite and go to game of the series is RBS, everything in that game just feels right.

I disagree about FFS being a 'dinosaur', and I think many others here will as well. I still find it completely playable and a lot of fun. Considering what an early fighter it is, I think it's aged really well.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Luffy-an-the-zombie-monkey-d-luffy-26497168-480-272.gif

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
1)Real Bout Fatal Fury: The best one to me by far. Not even close. The 2 plane system is ditched for a dodge up and down line plane
Never heard of Fatal Fury 3, huh? :rolleyes:

If you are an Andy Bogard fan, this is his best game! By far!
lol

4) All other FF are under whelming. Fatal Fury Special is a dinosaur in game speed / move list and the moves they do have are half "charge" techniques.

5) go fuck yourself

ajflutie

n00b
Never heard of Fatal Fury 3, huh? :rolleyes:

lol

5) go fuck yourself

1) Yes I am aware of FF3, I didn't claim it was the only FF with a 3 plane. The 2 plane is the original and is the most used so I was just noting it.

5) I hear you, but I am not the only one that feels this way.

Heh time to piss people off (well especially Fran).

MOTW is my favorite Fatal Fury game, but since you want to exclude that then my picks go as follows:

Real Bout 2
Real Bout Special
Real Bout 1

Sorry, I can't STAND Fatal Fury Special. I remember playing it in the arcades back when SF2 was the king, and I thought it sucked then and I think it still sucks now. Why you ask? The controls are horrible, it plays ungodly slow, and SF2 was about 3249328754091328571023894613289476123859714236534285 times better. :p

Controls are also what really takes a lot of the fun out of Fatal Fury 3. It just isn't all that great, the main problem here comes again from the controls and the play speed, the game also feels well "clunky" because of the speed and how they move.

Yeah the BG's are nice in these games, but honestly I never understood why people cared about BG's so much when its the fighters that really make the game.

Fatal Fury became playable with the release of Real Bout 1 IMO.

Flame away. :p

I think it is also note worthing that the controls change for the Real Bout Series with Kick, Punch, Super, and Line as opposed to the typical 2 punches and 2 kicks seen in FFS.

So just another reason it makes RB a unique game. But again I understand if you like RBS better. But if you like FFS better it is clearly on nostalgia.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
real bout 1 is probably my favourite neo game of all time. so i would say you have good taste. but it being better than the other two real bout games is debatable.

and you shouldn't expect fatal fury special to play like real bout or a kof game. as you wouldn't expect street fighter 2 to play like street fighter alpha. it's from a different era. many would argue that fatal fury special is better than street fighter 2, which would make it one of the greatest fighters of all time.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
real bout 1 is probably my favourite neo game of all time. so i would say you have good taste. but it being better than the other two real bout games is debatable. .
I actually am pretty excited, have RBFF coming in the mail in a week. funny thing is i traded a RBFF japanese guide that i had laying around for it. Never really played it but i will def be messing around with it when i get it. Wanna play around with the ring outs.

and you shouldn't expect fatal fury special to play like real bout or a kof game. as you wouldn't expect street fighter 2 to play like street fighter alpha. it's from a different era.
THIS! I have love for alot of older games, as do most of us, this is a neo geo forum. lol
When i pop in a game like FFS or KOF94 im not going to expect it to feel and play like kof 02 or RBFF2. FFS is a VERY fun game to play, i enjoy it alot. I enjoy the cheap safe tactics that can be used. The abuse of certain moves. The crazy high damage output lol. Its a SNK game straight up.
RBFFS is still my personal favorite right now, it changes from time to time but they are all good.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So just another reason it makes RB a unique game. But again I understand if you like RBS better. But if you like FFS better it is clearly on nostalgia.
RBFF is a great game, no mistake, but anyone who can't appreciate how solid FFS is as a fighter still to this day is a useless cunt.

And RB2 is a million times better a game than RBFF except in aesthetics.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Although I feel you really can't go wrong with any Fatal Fury game, Fatal Fury Special and Real Bout 2/Real Bout Special definitely capture the signature feel and are the respective apexes of the established gameplay at that time in the series' history. Although I love MOTW, it doesn't really feel like the rest of the series but can be a great segway if you prefer the gameplay of the kof titles.

ajflutie

n00b
I love MOTW, it doesn't really feel like the rest of the series but can be a great segway if you prefer the gameplay of the kof titles.

+1 .. One of the greatest fighters IMO, but couldn't have said it better. Not a signature feel FF game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Both Specials, it's an overall excellent package, one that excels time and Space. They're for Garou what '98 & '02 are for the KoF series -- the "what game would you take on a lonely island" kind of stuff.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Although I love MOTW, it doesn't really feel like the rest of the series but can be a great segway if you prefer the gameplay of the kof titles.

I'm confused. How does MOTW play like KOF? To me it's like saying Alpha plays like 3rd Strike. Maybe I just don't see the similarities.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I'm confused. How does MOTW play like KOF? To me it's like saying Alpha plays like 3rd Strike. Maybe I just don't see the similarities.

Sup Bakaboy. The overall feel of MOTW is much more akin to the setup of KOF rather than the typical setup of all of the previous Fatal Fury titles.

In MOTW plane shifting/dodge mechanics are now completely removed which was one of the core mechanics of the fatal fury series since its debut. Plane shifting/management has always been a distinctive element of play in this series and became more predominant in gameplay as the series evolved. The removal of these mechanics in MOTW, brings the title much closer to KOF/Street Fighter territory.

Furthermore, the presence of running in MOTW (although not for all characters) as opposed to dashing is also a reason the game spacing and pace is much closer to a KOF title.

Although the LP, LK, HP, HK control scheme is not foreign to the Fatal Fury series, the later titles in the series prior to MOTW transitioned to a 3 attack button scheme with the forth button dedicated to plane shifting/dodging functionality which highlighted the importance of the mechanic in its core gameplay. MOTW opted to remove this distinction and falls back on the LP, LK, HP, HK setup used in every KOF title since 94 (Although this scheme predates KOF and was previously used in FF2/FFS).

MOTW is still a fantastic entry in the series, but one that is none the less a strong deviation from the rest of the series and one that ultimately leans heavier on the established gameplay of the admittedly more successful KOF series.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Hmm. I guess I can see it from the basics standpoint. I think I haven't run into too many KOF players who haven't played Fatal Fury. Considering now a new generation is getting into SNK games through KOF XIII and KOF XIV it's not that strange.

Though the ones I have run into find Fatal Fury Special more like KOF. Same buttons, CD attack, dash back, and more characters that they know in KOF XIII. It also helped when KOF XIII was out Fatal Fury Special was on XBLA for $5, and runs better then MOTW online wise. If the netcode on PS4 is much improved who knows that might be the bridge game for PS4 owners who get introduced to SNK through KOF XIV.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Yeah, alot of ppl that have played kof games dont really know shit about FF besides characters names and thats due to kof. And for some the CvS series

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
dunno, guys. most people who play kof are usually snk fans, and snk fans usually know what fatal fury is. at least in the uk, the kof series are games which people have to go out of their way to play. it's not like street fighter, where every one is familiar with and could just walk into any game shop and pick up a copy of sf4/5.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Reason why I said what I said, but I do have a friend who started with KOF XIII and I'm going by his opinions. There is a new generation picking up fighters now so many will get into SNK not just because it had a good anime back in the day. Though that might change soon as well.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
dunno, guys. most people who play kof are usually snk fans, and snk fans usually know what fatal fury is. at least in the uk, the kof series are games which people have to go out of their way to play. it's not like street fighter, where every one is familiar with and could just walk into any game shop and pick up a copy of sf4/5.

When I said okay kof I meant they picked it up sometime after xi. They know character names and recognize the character but they never played a fatal fury game before

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
For me it's Real Bout 2, Mark of the Wolves and Fatal fury special.