What has changed since you joined this site?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
"Out, damned spot."

I somehow still have the same two cats now that I had before I started posting here, and my mom still has one of the two cats that I bottle fed as stray kittens the year before that.

Cats seem less likely to eat shit that will kill them.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Not much.

Got a dog. Got a couple of cabs. New car. Made some new friends through here (and elsewhere). Couple of people in my family died but they were old.

Couple of promotions but a similar job with the same company. Same great wife. Same house. Weigh pretty much the same (within a few pounds) of what I've weighed the last 15 years. Visited a couple of new countries and drank a lot of new liquors but all in all, things are pretty comfortable.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Couple of promotions but a similar job with the same company. Same great wife. Same house. Weigh pretty much the same (within a few pounds) of what I've weighed the last 15 years. Visited a couple of new countries and drank a lot of new liquors but all in all, things are pretty comfortable.

Jesus H Christ, you're living the American dream. God bless you

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Almost 15 years in.
Gaming is pretty much just solitaire when I poop.
Sold off 95%+ of the collection, sometimes wonder why I was so into it in the first place.
Tired all the time, think I'm sick.
Sleep a lot.
Son is about to turn 20.
Ex-wife.
Think I'm finally ok with being alone.
Meh.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I now clean my ass with wet wipes.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Sleep a lot.

Your call to make, but, it might be a good idea to have a doctor look you over and run a comprehensive blood check to see if things are okay.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Almost 15 years in.
Gaming is pretty much just solitaire when I poop.
Sold off 95%+ of the collection, sometimes wonder why I was so into it in the first place.
Sleep a lot.
Son is about to turn 20.
Ex-wife.
Think I'm finally ok with being alone.
Meh.

I'm basically the same about gaming. I'll play them in waves now, mostly on the RetroPie. I'll get the itch, play it every night for a week or so then drop it for 3 more months.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Hmmmm.... so much has changed since 2001, almost 20 years of life.

-Moved back to East Coast (Queens), then moved to Brooklyn, then to NJ (bought/sold 3 properties and settled in my house 7 years ago)
-Got married, got 2 dogs and then had to put them down. Have 2 great kids.
-Have had 6 different jobs, 1 change of career in there, 1 master degree (part time)
-Gained a few pounds over the years, but managed to lose most of it the past 6 months (Intermittent Fasting is awesome)
-Sold most of my game collection right before the market skyrocketed. Played a lot of online (Gears of War) and then stopped after a few years. I am ready to jump back in with Gears 5.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Jesus H Christ, you're living the American dream. God bless you

I just have the good fortune of having only been here from the ages of 36-41. If you pull back another ten to fifteen years like a lot of you fuckers, it gets a lot more dicey. Less job stability, more crazy bitches before my wife, living in one-bedroom apartments.

Finding a woman who's not a psycho (and no longer being an immature dipshit yourself) goes a long way.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Got my 3rd child and got vasectomy
Celebrated 20th Anniversary w/ wife
Paid off both houses
Debt free
Workaholic
I lost a lot of weight was back to my highschool weight 3years ago.
Gain a lot of weight last year so need to start working out again & eating right.
Got ranked #1 in Hyper Fighting
Retired from fighting games.
Collecting arcades
Collecting statues

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I just have the good fortune of having only been here from the ages of 36-41. If you pull back another ten to fifteen years like a lot of you fuckers, it gets a lot more dicey. Less job stability, more crazy bitches before my wife, living in one-bedroom apartments.

I pretty much passed go on that shit. I lived with my parents for years and in dorms all throughout college. I lived in a 1-bedroom apt. near the MoA for like 2-3 years. Honestly, I liked the layout of the apt. better than my house. My house is a fucking mess.

Finding a woman who's not a psycho (and no longer being an immature dipshit yourself) goes a long way.

I found a woman that is not psycho, but almost too religious for me. I'm the psycho and I'm still immature.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

Eh...1 bedroom apartments aren’t bad. I have a pretty spacious one, square footage wise is almost as big as my small 3 bedroom house I had in Texas. When my girlfriend moved in, her parents helped us and were surprised - the family room is the same size as theirs, the bedroom is as big as their master bedroom, and my walk in closet is bigger.

I used to have a dedicated “Game Room”, and the ex wife had a “craft room”. Once I downsized everything, I didn’t have a need for more than 1 bedroom. Though I could use a garage, sucks going to the shop every time I’m gonna work on any of my robots.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Eh...1 bedroom apartments aren’t bad. I have a pretty spacious one, square footage wise is almost as big as my small 3 bedroom house I had in Texas. When my girlfriend moved in, her parents helped us and were surprised - the family room is the same size as theirs, the bedroom is as big as their master bedroom, and my walk in closet is bigger.

No shit man - 1 bedrooms can be nice.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member

What happneed in those 9 years? Well, a lot! I'm 32 now.

1 Been in a psychiatric hospital (not by first choice may I say).
2 I got diagnozed with schizophrenia
3 Mom got a cerebral haemorrhage (still alive, lives in a nursing house)
4 Dad got a stroke (still alive)
5 Sister lost part of her lung, had a surgery in order to survive (still alive)
6 Political afflication changed --> From minarchist to anarcho-capitalist.
7 Got a job (mortagage company), got fired due to crisis. One year of Unilever after that, got fired, crisis and now at the hospital where I still am working.
8 Went to the US with a close friend several times.
9 Won first price with my thesis. I even got price money.
10 Started my own band. My first band, I left them due to heavy tensions in a negative way. Second band, got kicked from it because my "bassplaying level wasn't up to what they needed". That is bullshit since I've been in the band for over a year and we didn't play a lot of new material then. Only to find out I was the best bassplayer they ever had.

Things that did not change:
1 I still visit (good) concerts as often as possible. Hell, I even fly for it across continents.
2 Still getting drunk with horrible hangovers from time to time.
3 Still hanging with friends
4 Still listening to black- and death metal and still dress that way in my daily life.
5 Still single

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Do any of you guys have white pubes yet?

Asking for a friend...

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (incurable autoimmune disease that wrecks your brain and spinal cord) last June, and, just the other day, found out that the strange mole I had cut out of my right thigh, and then analyzed by Mayo Clinic, was melanoma skin cancer (seeing the oncologist next Monday). I'm pretty much fooked. Those two things eclipse any other changes in my life.

Shit man, that sucks. I hope your body recovers from it with no harm. I got a sever case of alopecia areata myself (autoimmune disorder, no known cure yet), and lost all hair, including eyebrows / eyelashes, but I'm slowly recovering now. Still no scalp hair though. It's been around 4 years now.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
long long time lurker, back when the site first started but I never signed up or anything until a few years ago. Lot has changed tho. Dion isn't brought up as much, lol.

Im older. Fatter. Still married to the same woman who somehow puts up with my depressed ass. I do play games less, but moreso than before if that makes any sense. I got out of gaming for several years and was consumed by music/bands/shows/promoting/touring etc. But when I bounced from that I kinda came back to games. Like most have mentioned, it's more sparingly than before. Prob gonna either build a RetroPi Cab, or slap a RetroPi into my Neo25. I never had a huge game collection. Over the years I've prob bought and sold a NeoAES and games something like 3 or 4 times. Had a slew of cabs and am now to just one candy with a 4 slot and a shitty Pandora.

Ive worked at probably 5 different places in 20 years. Like where I am now, still in finance/lending but not sure if I'll be here in another 20. I'm slowly coming to the age my dad was when he died (43) and its fucking with my head something fierce. Ill be 42 tomorrow.

Not sure if I'll see 43 due to high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, stress, diabetes, etc etc etc. Eh. Whatevs. I still like playing with my weener.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
long long time lurker, back when the site first started but I never signed up or anything until a few years ago. Lot has changed tho. Dion isn't brought up as much, lol.

Im older. Fatter. Still married to the same woman who somehow puts up with my depressed ass. I do play games less, but moreso than before if that makes any sense. I got out of gaming for several years and was consumed by music/bands/shows/promoting/touring etc. But when I bounced from that I kinda came back to games. Like most have mentioned, it's more sparingly than before. Prob gonna either build a RetroPi Cab, or slap a RetroPi into my Neo25. I never had a huge game collection. Over the years I've prob bought and sold a NeoAES and games something like 3 or 4 times. Had a slew of cabs and am now to just one candy with a 4 slot and a shitty Pandora.

Ive worked at probably 5 different places in 20 years. Like where I am now, still in finance/lending but not sure if I'll be here in another 20. I'm slowly coming to the age my dad was when he died (43) and its fucking with my head something fierce. Ill be 42 tomorrow.

Not sure if I'll see 43 due to high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, stress, diabetes, etc etc etc. Eh. Whatevs. I still like playing with my weener.
Touring you say? With your own band, what band is that?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Man, what a question.

So much has changed for me, too. Got married, lost my father, bought a house, had a great paying job that led to a lot of complacency, worked in the game journalism (lol) profession, became a critical essayist, had numerous eye surgeries, learned how to control my diabetes, got a really good job with incredible benefits, encouraged my wife to go to school to get her PhD, decided guinea pigs are the only caged animals worth owning, and a whole lot more.

But I think that the most important thing for me is that I learned that you don't have to die on every hill. At the end of the day, no matter how well reasoned out your arguments may be, you'll come upon an opposing view that you can't knock down

All conflict is like this; live by the sword, die by the sword. Eventually, someone with better steel will come along. Even if you win, someone who knows how to use their steel better than you will come along. Even if you win, someone with better steel AND better skill will come along. And the more hills you fight over the more you expose yourself to contradictory arguments. It's analogous to aging: eventually, your ideas lose their vigor and you mature enough to realize that fighting 'everything' just doesn't matter.

I also learned that just because people say things I don't agree with isn't grounds to try and destroy them and shut down dialogue. In principle, I really hate the idea that a person can never contribute just because they said or did one stupid thing once. Obviously, it's contextual and based on the severity of the attempted offense.

Example: Lonesage said 'Casca enjoyed getting raped,' which proves he doesn't know shit about Berserk. Ten years ago, I'd have died on that hill. But now? What does it matter? 'sage has lived in another country and has a unique set of experiences and perspectives that make him eminently worth following here.

I generally don't shut down conversations. Biggest evolution of myself as a person here.

Even Saner says things that aren't completely fucked up and stupid once in a while.

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
Do any of you guys have white pubes yet?

Asking for a friend...

Shit...no white pubes yet but the chest hair is turning white. The beard is almost all white, save for a few red and brown hangers on. Youth is wasted on the young.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Example: Lonesage said 'Casca enjoyed getting raped,' which proves he doesn't know shit about Berserk. Ten years ago, I'd have died on that hill.

This gave me a big, hearty laugh. Thank you.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This gave me a big, hearty laugh. Thank you.

You have to understand that, for me, this has become one of my go-to comments, sort of like 'funniest thing I will read all week', never inviting Neo Alec to my gathering or referencing Wes' dic pic collection.