What do you think of label replacement?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I tried, but I just can't respect you. Those labels were fine. You should've spent the time it took to replace them playing the games instead.

Im playing my MS2 & MSX right now :)

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
I will replace a label if it's beyond recognition or suuuuper gross. Cut serials don't bother me at all.

I think it's up to the owner to decide obviously. I don't need my labels all looking pristine since they will be in my cab while I'm playing them. Like I said though, if I can't recognize the label, I'll replace it. I've bought a few carts with destroyed labels because they were cheaper than minty ones, solely because I'll just print new ones and I just want to play them.

Like I said, it's up to the owner, but I wouldn't replace them if they were still able to be read.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
The only objection I have to replacement labels is the same I have to repro carts: they are a vehicle for bootleggers to scam people.

But I guess collectards deserve to be scammed, so go for it.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Original English labels, I keep them intact no matter what. As for Japanese labels, I'd keep them unless they're super beat up. I'm not a fan of cut serials myself, but I personally wouldn't switch a label out if its original.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The only objection I have to replacement labels is the same I have to repro carts: they are a vehicle for bootleggers to scam people.

But I guess collectards deserve to be scammed, so go for it.

Replacement labels have been a common thing for mvs since the 90s. Most people know to ask for board scans especially since mvs carts are easily opened up with regular tools. It wasn't until recently that opening up cartridges for mainstream consoles became a thing. The security bits are readily available and sellers can't feign ignorance on the subject anymore. If it were up to me, I'd mandate that all ebay auctions with starting prices at $50 and up are required to post board pics. Too many people trying to pass off boots as the real deal there.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I was all about OG labels Japanese or English before I finished my MVS collection (that was a while ago now). I recently was going through my other 16 bit era games and I had an original Earthbound that was an ex rental that it looks like someone tried to take the rental sticker off of it in the middle of the label at one time and it had a slash through the middle as well. I debated replacing the label for a second, but thought screw it, I'll probably never get rid of it anyway and got a replacement that totally look legit that I put on top of the OG label. I left a little bit of the old label showing on one of the sides complete with the slash to remind me why I replaced it and if I ever wanted to sell it to prove there was an OG underneath.

If it was a cheap game and I had a bad label or no label at all I would probably just be OCD and buy another copy.

Last edited:

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Another option would have been to buy some cheap Madden game, put your Earthbound PCB into it, then replace its label with the repro Earthbound label. That way you get a pretty looking cartridge and still have the option of putting your Earthbound cart back to its original state.

I was almost gonna do this for my Final Fantasy III cart. Then I remembered that I only have a Super Famicom now, so I'd be better off putting my PCB into a Japanese FFXVI shell instead.