What do you think of label replacement?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Sometimes the MVS cart you bought is either missing serial number or label got damaged.

Do you think it's a good idea to replace label or depends on label condition?

Any thought?

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I like to keep the original unless it's unreadable or the case itself is broken.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
if serials are still on there: never replace.
if serials are gone: replace if need be.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
won't accept japanese labels, let alone replacements. visually, the labels is all the mvs carts have. so it has to be in good condition and a original. no replacement.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
A damaged or filthy label with no serials is a candidate for a label replacement.
This describes almost all my carts. :D

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The only replacements I dislike are those colored one's with the games art logo on it. Looks too cheesy IMO.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
The only replacements I dislike are those colored one's with the games art logo on it. Looks too cheesy IMO.

I agree. The game logos weren't designed to be on such a long thin label. Those color labels look kind of silly with their microscopic logo & title in the middle.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
It's better than a blank cart. At least you know what game is on there.

But I'd prefer an original with scratched serials, or damage, than a replacement.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
None of the carts I have have serials. Some of them have the labels in really rough shape, but others are more or less mint. I've replaced a few, but I would want them all to look uniform. I can't decide on the art style labels or a text label, and thats stopped me from just replacing all of them outright.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If it's legible, leave it on.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I would keep the originals unless they were completely worn and unreadable. Damaged originals over replacements anyday. That goes double for the ones described above with the game's logos on.

If you have to replace labels use the original style labels like the ones on JNX.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
If it's legible, leave it on.

well if its already fake thats garbage but
can you tell what game it is? especially if you have cases. like you'll get confused when putting it away? do you check the label during gameplay? I know my 'game' isn't even very good so mine matches mine:( are you some kind of 1cc no death perfection god?
just be REAL its better than the glamour?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Karou man, what the fuck are you carrying on about.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I prefer damaged original labels to replacements. I only replace missing or replacement labels.

echoing what others have said. Only replace if it is unusable, and replace with one that is styled like the originals. I agree the ones with color logos and such just not my preferred. I haven't replaced any, but I do have a few that the labels do not even stick to the cart anymore. My most frustrating ones are original Japanese labels that have had someone write ugly pen/marker on them to label them in English.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
This reminds me that I need to replace my upside-down, roached, Japanese Aero Fighters 2 label.....

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Karou man, what the fuck are you carrying on about.

that the label can be worse than legible. especially if you store it in a way that doesn't have labels out on the shelf(whatever box, in a container or drawer, or shocks).even if its jap and trashed you should be familiar enough with it that you won't get confused as to what game it is??
I guess I'm just a scrub though and if you want fancy stuff and have a big pile it'd be different. MVS is suppose to be the poor mans grit side though?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like replacing labels if I need to, I'm not one to hold unto to manufactured standards or any of that horse shit collectards do.

Jenna Jameson was overrated.
It depends, sometimes she shined and other times not so much...

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
During play my MVS games are inside a cab where I can't see the label anyway, so whatevas.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Replace them if you dont care about resale but, if they're in such shit condition they need to be replaced then their resale didnt matter much anyways.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I got MS2 replacement label from Xian Xi (thanks my friend!)
I bought another MS2 cart with damaged label..............what do you think?

metal slug 2.jpg