What console were you most disappointed with?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The trident, as you refer to it, was a good controller. I dread to think of how that controller you posted fits in normal hands.

I bought two recently and they eliminated by biggest gripe about the disappointing N64. Played some Tony Hawk and beat my old high scores.

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
This whole discussion inspired me to look up some of the N64's hardware specifications. Beyond just the obvious flaw of using of a cartridge medium, its remarkable how poorly designed this console was. Despite being a 3D console, the system's architecture was very poorly suited for carrying out that task. Not the least of the reasons for this was the console's limited 4kb of texture memory. 4kb for crying out loud!!

That being said, its almost embarassing to see how much better a game like Metal Gear Solid, on system that is as vastly underpowered as the PSX, looks in comparison to just about anything that N64 has to offer. And considering how the 3D capabilities of the N64 were supposed to one of its main selling points, this only added the system's overall dissapointment.

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I personally KNEW there'd be more of the same from NCL bro. I mean, their 1st party IP stuff was always Solid Gold. But you're smoking some Plumber's Pipe Dope laced cigarettes if you think ppl should not have expected something "Fantastical" from the Nintendo 64. Early conceptual drawings of the system rivaled the bad assery of the NEC SuperGrafx in terms of being Quasi Cyberpunk... they (NCL) had built up momentum over their latest and greatest project by calling it ULTRA 64. Everything pointed to this cart based system as being some sort of Paradigm shift the gaming world had never seen, and to forget about Sony's systems or anything Sega was doing... and what became Vaporware photos were touted as being a real time SGI Workstation in a box with no loading times and all that.

The way NCL and the magazines of the time promoted what became the N64 as we know it, just about anyone in the mid 90s was expecting some super duper LEAP in technology aside from their 1st Party fun games, and in the early days of the Internet and the whole .COM boom... ppl didn't know what to expect. How could we? Looking at it 13 1/2 years later it's clear we SHOULDN'T have had high expectations. But Nintendo always came through with their systems and their ability to have great 3rd Party support. But back then, we were all impressionable and didn't have the Internet of 2010 to see CES, TGS, E3 and more. We just had those magazines to rely on, and whatever some guy who had a friend or something in Japan knew about or had a bit more info on.

I AGREE WITH YOU 5000% on Sin & Punishment though.

What he said. This is exactly how I felt. Playing Killer Instinct at the time seeing the add on the machine for Ultra 64 as if it would do something close to the arcade game itself on release. In my mind, I was thinking beyond awesome high-res, frames and pre-rendering that looks OMFG real like the SGI stations. They were advertising the shit out of how high tech the system was to be, only to knock it down to what became the N64. I even remember this as my Nintendo Power mags came in. So YES there were high expectations.

Your missing the point...I am not saying there werent good games on the psx. I bought a psx at launch. I also bought alot of the big psx games as they were released including Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, FF7 and countless others. Yeah they were good, even great games.

I am only saying the n64 was not a disappointing system because there were alot of great games released for it. Apparently, that statement really offends some idiots out there, but what can I say...their loss I guess.

Some people take this stuff so seriously. You are so invested in your games/systems so much that it really is creepy. Its like nintendo didnt cater to your every gaming whim, so now you want their blood. fucking lol. fools like Wes, STK, Smokehouse and Heartlessninny really make gamers look bad.

OK most of us where what, 13-17 years old when it came out. Earlier years, almost everybody talked about and played the hell out of NES, Genesis and SNES as we were coming out of our young childhood wonder years. You just don't realize how fun it was to play the NES when you are 6 years old, then to see the 16 bit stuff come out.

So yeah, I like to think most people were pretty serious about teh games. I was 15 when the N64 came out and was a die-hard gamer more so than I am now. Still, I had a life with friends, played soccer, shot guns with my dad, in the historical society at school, dated girls, etc... To generalize like that is kinda fucked up man. I did play games a lot during this time due to living in an apartment in downtown boredom retirement city and being stuck at my house living 4 blocks from a movie/game rental store. BTW, I am not out for blood, just was let down a lot.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Trying to provoke you? I'm merely calling your intellect into question, because you've already been called out for making misconceptions about the thread topic and continue to blatantly ignore it. I would love for you to scan your degree and see this awesome college you went to. I have a strong feeling the only thing you graduated from was club Nintendo, though.

lol, you're just a troll. what misconceptions have I made? you just keep slinging the same bullshit over and over again. you should be proud, you are of the majority opinion here, but still somehow manage to come off sounding like a trolling fag - that's quite an accomplishment.

I liked the n64 and don't consider it a disappointment.
get over it, you pathetic loser.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
lol, you're just a troll. what misconceptions have I made? you just keep slinging the same bullshit over and over again. you should be proud, you are of the majority opinion here, but still somehow manage to come off sounding like a trolling fag - that's quite an accomplishment.

I liked the n64 and don't consider it a disappointment.
get over it, you pathetic loser.

You should be proud that you have to defend your stupidity with making up what college you went to and how you graduated. Your misconception is that you think people are talking about the worst console they ever owned, not the console they were most disappointed with. The fact that I have to explain this to your stupid ass after somebody else already did only further reinforces my belief that you have the intellectual capacity of Nintendo 64's texture memory - 4kb.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
You should be proud that you have to defend your stupidity with making up what college you went to and how you graduated. Your misconception is that you think people are talking about the worst console they ever owned, not the console they were most disappointed with. The fact that I have to explain this to your stupid ass after somebody else already did only further reinforces my belief that you have the intellectual capacity of Nintendo 64's texture memory - 4kb.

you're such a dumbass and you have no reading comprehension skills whatsoever. Virtually every single post I have made in this thread has been about why i feel the n64 WAS NOT A DISAPPOINTMENT.

you are just reading into what you want to and making up your own conclusions about what I have been saying this whole time.

fucking troll.

lol at you keep bringing my education into this. I am not lying, but i could care less if you think I am.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
you're such a dumbass and you have no reading comprehension skills whatsoever. Virtually every single post I have made in this thread has been about why i feel the n64 WAS NOT A DISAPPOINTMENT.

It all stemmed from this:

ahh, you kids should consider yourselves lucky if the n64 was the worst console you ever owned. I guess you all weren't subjected to the true shit that's been released over the years...

Maybe you need Geordi La Forge to spend some time with you so his blind ass could teach you how to read your own garbage.

lol at you keep bringing my education into this. I am not lying, but i could care less if you think I am.

I'm not the one who tried to defend their stupidity with claiming to have graduated from one of the most prestigious colleges, cum laude, no less. You're a fucking mental midget. I bet you suck at every game you play, too.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
It all stemmed from this:

Maybe you need Geordi La Forge to spend some time with you so his blind ass could teach you how to read your own garbage.

I'm not the one who tried to defend their stupidity with claiming to have graduated from one of the most prestigious colleges, cum laude, no less. You're a fucking mental midget. I bet you suck at every game you play, too.

Whatever, you are fishing for material to defend yourself for acting like an asshole. For me, and any logical person, the most disappointing system will be the one that provided the least amount of entertainment for the amount of money spent. Is that concept really so hard for you to grasp???? I expect quality games from whatever system i buy...and if the games are shit...then I am disappointed.

So basically, you are telling me the worst system is not inherently the most disappointing. So when you spend your hard earned cash on a game for xyz system...are you expecting it to suck? I mean, why would you buy a crappy game if you know you are going to be disappointed with it?

For any reasonable human being, they will be disappointed when they spend their cash on something that they do not derive any entertainment from. Do you understand? That's why my initial response was the atari lynx. I spent a ton of money to get the system and practically every game for it was lame. that is a disappointment. on the other hand, the n64 provided me with so much entertainment that there is no way i could consider it a disappointment.

But you tools have so much emotional baggage invested in Nintendo as a company...you can sit here and even claim that they made great games, but the system was a disappointment because they didnt release enough great games or enough genres. You guys are suckers. Wasabi was totally fucking right. You guys are a bunch of retards.

And as far as the education goes....why not quote everything in context you ignorant slob? I made a simple comment stating I had a ton of fun playing n64 with my friends in college, and you ran with it from there. if you are going to quote someone, do it like a man and be forthright about, not picking and choosing what to quote like some fucking spineless pussy.

It's like I'm talking to a brick wall. a retarded brick wall.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Technically, can one be disappointed in something they don't care whatsoever about?

At first I did have high hopes for it- I bought one at launch, actually, and had maybe 40 games for it.

But now I would say it's easily, IMO, the worst console ever made, period. It's the only one I can think of that aims at the lowest common denominator and succeeds.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
N64 :

Mario 64
Pilot Wings
F-Zero X
Zelda OOT
Zelda MM
Goldeneye
Turok 2
Lylat Wars
Mario Tennis
Jet Force Gemini
Mario Kart 64
Wave Race 64
Excite Bike 64
Mario Golf

GC :
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil 4
Ikaruga
Alien Hominid
Mario Sunshine
Mario Kart Double Dash
Zelda WW
Zelda TP
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
F-Zero GX
Baiten Kaitos

With killer titles like those, I really don't know how there's so much disappointment on those two systems, specially when 3D0's and 32X's are still figured in the same picture.
The Jag? I loved it, but it sucked balls. Tempest and AVP were Fantastic back in the day, but they are nowhere near anything those titles mentioned above.

The problem is that in fact, we were just expecting a strong 2D improvement from the 16-Bit era to the coming-up-next 32-Bit generation.
3D was shoved down our throats as you liked it or not, and that's where people started to go on the PSX over the others ( the n64 was still in dev).

The really first good 3D console to appear was the DC. Short life span? yes. Great system? yes. Sony killed the DC just with hype, but it was the real first 3D console you couldn't say graphics were "eye-bleeding".

The Wii is my disappointment because there's nothing I like on it, as well as 360s or PS3's for that matter.

Long live the RETRO! :buttrock:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The thread title is "disappointment" which implies that maybe people had expectations that weren't met.

I didn't have any expectations for the 32X or the Jag, thus those would never in a million years compare to the extremely pathetic showings that Nintendo has made ever since (I mean starting with) the N64.

But disappointment can mean different things to different people, sure.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Whatever, you are fishing for material to defend yourself for acting like an asshole. For me, and any logical person, the most disappointing system will be the one that provided the least amount of entertainment for the amount of money spent. Is that concept really so hard for you to grasp???? I expect quality games from whatever system i buy...and if the games are shit...then I am disappointed.

Let's get everything out in the open - I'm not defending myself for acting like an asshole to you, nor am I denying it. I usually come off this way to people who are incredibly stupid. Now that it's clear that you have no idea what disappointment means, let me try to illustrate a few examples. I apologize in advance that I'm unable to use crayons for you.

The 3DO is the worst console I've ever owned. However, I knew I was only buying it for Gex, so I wasn't disappointed in my purchase.

The N64 is the console that disappointed me the most. The lack of fighters, RPGs, and 2D games really let me down. Although I've had fun with a few games, I was expecting to like a lot more games than I did.

I'm done exhausting logic with you. If you still don't get it, I'm more than happy to just find clever ways to call you stupid instead.

But you tools have so much emotional baggage invested in Nintendo as a company....

The hypocrisy of this statement is as thick as your melon head. Who has the most posts in this thread trying to defend their N64 purchase, while somehow trying to crowbar in a lie about the college they went to that they graduated with honors? If that's not emotional baggage, I don't know what is.

It's like I'm talking to a brick wall. a retarded brick wall.

Hey, do you have your degree framed and posted for display in your cubicle, or do you keep it underneath the kitchen chair so it stays level?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm done exhausting logic with you. If you still don't get it, I'm more than happy to just find clever ways to call you stupid instead.
You are going to have your work cut out for you trying to top the 4kb thing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
N64 :

Lylat Wars
Mario Tennis
Mario Kart 64
Excite Bike 64
Mario Golf

With killer titles like those, I really don't know how there's so much disappointment
Would you please listen to yourself? "Killer titles"?!! Really?

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Let's get everything out in the open - I'm not defending myself for acting like an asshole to you, nor am I denying it. I usually come off this way to people who are incredibly stupid. Now that it's clear that you have no idea what disappointment means, let me try to illustrate a few examples. I apologize in advance that I'm unable to use crayons for you.

The 3DO is the worst console I've ever owned. However, I knew I was only buying it for Gex, so I wasn't disappointed in my purchase.

The N64 is the console that disappointed me the most. The lack of fighters, RPGs, and 2D games really let me down. Although I've had fun with a few games, I was expecting to like a lot more games than I did.

The hypocrisy of this statement is as thick as your melon head. Who has the most posts in this thread trying to defend their N64 purchase, while somehow trying to crowbar in a lie about the college they went to that they graduated with honors? If that's not emotional baggage, I don't know what is.

Hey, do you have your degree framed and posted for display in your cubicle, or do you keep it underneath the kitchen chair so it stays level?

you bought a 3do JUST for Gex? Gex was that compelling of a game, that you had to plunk down the cash for the system, eh? And the saturn/psx ports couldnt cut it for you....you had to play that masterpiece on its original hardware...

And you are calling me stupid.
:lolz::lolz::lolz::lolz:

had you said you bought a 3do for Road Rash, NFS, Super Street Fighter 2 turbo or even Samurai Shodown, then it could have been rationalized.

But, as you said, you bought it just for Gex.

fucking lol

As far as I'm concerned, you have zero credibility when it comes to games. ZERO. Case closed.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
if it was I wouldnt be posting here...

hot women acting slutty. haven't missed an episode yet.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Isn't it time for Desperate Housewives to come on?

Didn't you already insult him with that one already?

Want something to really chap your ass? The average person would rather play Mario Kart 64 than Fatal Fury Special. Try going to sleep tonight with THAT on your mind!

neo moe, listen: I love the N64, but what they're saying makes sense. They not saying it was a bad system, but a disappointment. I loved the shit out of it, but it could have been better. They make good points man, just give up.

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Heh heh heh. And so it begins.

Spend a little bit longer on the next insult, by the way. That one is so passé.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
You know what really sucked about the N64?

All of the pointless bullshit peripherals you had to buy to even use your games.

Controller Pak, Expansion Pak, Rumble Pak, Transfer Pak, Hey You Pikachu! mic, etc etc etc etc

Nothing was more of a disappointment than buying/renting a game and finding out you had to spend $30+ to even play the fucking thing.

The GC wasn't quite as bad but it was a pain in the ass to set up Crystal Chronicles/Four Swords.