What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Bardoly

n00b
Played some Tenchi O Kurau (Dynasty Wars) for the PC Engine recently. My friend and I both played some back and forth, and we finally made it all the way to the final boss. I came withing 5-10 more hits of finishing him off, but he beat me, and we were too tired to continue again and fight all the way through the whole final stage again. We will pull it out again sometime in the not-too-distant future, I hope, and then we'll finish it off.

It's a pretty good hack-'em-up with the novelty of being mounted on a horse the entire time. The game would be a bit more fun if it were 2-player, or if the horse could jump, but it's still a good game.

Yun

New Challenger
ffight0524191828.png

Haggar Smash!

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I tried to get some Epic Cheese coop going last night, and tossed in Robo Army. However my gf didn't make it past the intro screen with the "stealing human brains to make clones" part, and disappeared to surf the web or something, haha.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I tried to get some Epic Cheese coop going last night, and tossed in Robo Army. However my gf didn't make it past the intro screen with the "stealing human brains to make clones" part, and disappeared to surf the web or something, haha.

ahh man she should've at least stayed until she could turn into a car, after that she woulda been hooked.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
1cc'd Streets of Rage 3 today. I guess it's pretty challenging. You definitely need to have a plan in place.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Sweet, hadn't seen this thread - Final Fight CD last week and recently did my annual'ish Double Dragon II - The Revenge play through. *probably in my top 10 fave games of all time.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Almost forgot to post here. I went on my yearly trip to New Hampshire for FunSpot and finally visited the Pinball Wizard Arcade. FunSpot has the usual fare of Double Dragon 1 and 2, Kung-Fu Master and Kicker. Still no Final Fight yet. At PinWiz they had a really nice Karnov, which yes isn't really a brawler but I was surprised at how well the Data East joystick worked. They also just got in and fixed up an original 6 player X-Men but of all the games, they had Sailor Moon inside of an old Ninja Gaiden arcade cab.

I'm still a huge fan of the series back when I first saw it at 6:30 in the morning going to Jr.High but Sailor Moon still tops it as one of the worst beat 'em up games I've ever played. There's a difference from being a challenge to downright unfair. Bombs won't work on most boss characters, check. Your attacks do next to no damage, check. Your spin attack takes off more health then the attack does, check. Power ups give next to no health, check. CONSTANTLY ganged up on, even in the first stage, check. You'd think they'd give some leeway since the game was made with little kids in mind but hell now. Even when I played the game on emulator with max lives per credit I couldn't push myself to seeing the ending. Doesn't matter which character you pick either, their all the same. What an awful game.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Almost forgot to post here. I went on my yearly trip to New Hampshire for FunSpot and finally visited the Pinball Wizard Arcade. FunSpot has the usual fare of Double Dragon 1 and 2, Kung-Fu Master and Kicker. Still no Final Fight yet. At PinWiz they had a really nice Karnov, which yes isn't really a brawler but I was surprised at how well the Data East joystick worked. They also just got in and fixed up an original 6 player X-Men but of all the games, they had Sailor Moon inside of an old Ninja Gaiden arcade cab.

I'm still a huge fan of the series back when I first saw it at 6:30 in the morning going to Jr.High but Sailor Moon still tops it as one of the worst beat 'em up games I've ever played. There's a difference from being a challenge to downright unfair. Bombs won't work on most boss characters, check. Your attacks do next to no damage, check. Your spin attack takes off more health then the attack does, check. Power ups give next to no health, check. CONSTANTLY ganged up on, even in the first stage, check. You'd think they'd give some leeway since the game was made with little kids in mind but hell now. Even when I played the game on emulator with max lives per credit I couldn't push myself to seeing the ending. Doesn't matter which character you pick either, their all the same. What an awful game.

sounds like you had a good time, well except for playing Sailor moon:( I got interested in the game since it looked really nice in the vids, it's got some nice sprites, and I'm also a big banpresto fan, but damn that game is cheap, as in not that fun:oh_no:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I've played Sailor moon on that awful Tecmo cab at Pinball Wizard. I've also played the game a few years ago at some comic shop during my one time visit to Philadelphia. The game was running on a Jaleco Pony.

About the gameplay..I've never taken any serious runs in the game, however I'm pretty certain that it's a competent and playable game. You simply need to know what to exploit and what to avoid. Just like any beat 'em up. I'm not doubting the difficulty the OP experienced, but I'm pretty sure it's not a broken game..... oh Joker Jun Sailor Moon and Gazelle for life.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
They did everything right with the presentation of the game. All of the character sprites look great, even the villains of the week look good too. I also like it they got the voice actors in the game as well and even though I don't understand what their saying the little animated bits you get for the bombs look good too. It just really rubbed me the wrong way being a fan of the series. My very first import game I ever bought was Super S on the SuFami and even that game is hard as hell. I have the Sailor Moon and R side scrollers on the SNES and I like them a lot more then the arcade game. I like that they have you can hold the attack button to launch a projectile attack like Fire Soul or the tiara. Sailor Moon is a cakewalk if you use Venus because for some reason her normal attack is her Love Me Chain whip that's friggen long while Mercury barley puts her arm out to punch.

Also, my god what was Tecmo thinking with that Ninja Gaiden cab? Not just the buttons being on the left of the joystick and no second set of buttons on the right, but the size of the machine. The damn thing weighs over 500 pounds. FunSpot used to have the game on the second floor where it's a party area now and they sold it off because it was just way too big and bulky to move around and I think due to the buttons it didn't get played often.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Been getting into the Halloween mood lately (actually, it's always Halloween at my house), so I broke out Splatterhouse 1 & 2. Also put in some time on Guardian Heroes on the Saturn.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Been getting into the Halloween mood lately (actually, it's always Halloween at my house), so I broke out Splatterhouse 1 & 2. Also put in some time on Guardian Heroes on the Saturn.

Halloween in June. Why not? I've been playing a lot of Turbografx-16 games lately, including Splatterhouse 1. Fun stuff.

Also been having a blast with Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu and Ninja Warriors (PC Engine).

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Been getting into the Halloween mood lately (actually, it's always Halloween at my house), so I broke out Splatterhouse 1 & 2.

Nice, I'd love to pick up the arcade board one of these days but the price is ridiculous right now.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I have been playing some Die Hard Arcade lately...no, no, no!

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
The Punisher and some Oriental Legend 2 on the PGM2.