What anime are you watching?

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
lol, I got downvoted to oblivion on reddit for saying 'I didn't like The Wind Rises, it was too boring and never picked up.' People thought I was trolling, too, when I was just...stating my opinion.

I understand everyone feels strongly about Miyazaki-sama and all, but that movie did not resonate with me at all.

Looking forward to seeing what Ren thinks, despite if he agrees with me or not.

So, I finally got a chance to sit down and watch The Wind Rises yesterday, and I loved it! I can see where you're coming from as the pace was pretty even all the way through with only a couple of minor blips where the pace crept up briefly, but I did find the story and subject matter fascinating. My wife started off finding it boring and not being able to relate, but her tune changed quickly within the first quarter of the film.

That being said, I found many of the transitions through time to be jarring, not knowing that sizable chunks of time had passed in Jiro 's life between scenes until a minute or two into each one; it threw me off a bit when trying to make sense of a scene's direction. The sound effects for the planes made me laugh at times. I'm not sure why the Foley artist/team chose to go with mouthed sfx for engines sputtering and blades spinning, but it was obvious and broke the suspension of disbelief more than once.
As usual, the animation was a master class on painted backgrounds, fluidity of motion, understanding of colour, and warmth with the earthquake scene being the most technically challenging and amazing scene in the film: the scores of people moving all around, the chaos of it all is a supreme challenge (ordered chaos) in hand drawn animation, and it was obvious that no short cuts were taken; every character was meticulously drawn and had a purpose. One of the other major highlights to the film was the soundtrack; another Ghibli classic. It was also an interesting choice to, at points, have no music at all and instead let the wind be the soundtrack; a fitting choice for certain scenes.

Stories like this really resonate with me, and I find there's a certain mystique about World War II, from it's heroes to it's villains, and everything in between. It's also interesting to see the realty of the sacrifice necessary to reach for one's dreams presented here insofar as having to accept we can't always reach our goals with the purity that we imagined we could or would.
The movie had a lot of heart and character for me, so I'm a fan and feel that it is an instant classic, but like a wrote at the beginning, I can understand how it's not necessarily for everyone.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Parasyte -the maxim- on Crunchy Roll.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/parasyte-the-maxim-

Its only got 9 episodes out so far as its still airing but damn is it sucking me in. Its the typical shonen where the young sheepish student gets some kind of special power and he ends up getting pulled into some other worldly shit but its actually good.

I know that sounds run of the mill and boring but the story really does have a interesting concepts plus the animation is really good. Definitely worth a watch.

Edit: You know the episode of Futurama where Fry got worms. Its kind of like a whole show about that.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I finally giving the new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure a proper viewing. It's great! I love it how every episode ends with Roundabout. Killer song.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Parasyte .
cool!pretty sure I saw manga(?) of that fifteen years ago in some compilation maybe called mixxzine(?). seemed gritty. I guess I should know what typical shonen means before commenting? is there a way to get dvds(I'm old fashioned)? will there be?

oh well!
got season six one piece dvds where they are fighting zombies. watched a disc and a half so far...not sure how I should meter watching the rest as the next one won't be available until Janenwary.
queens blade rebellion which is much worse than the first one on So many fronts, overall polish look, seeming like something beside ''fanservice'',et others that my feeble brain and English power doesn't know what to call or how to word to explain floontly(?). I would not recomend it. fav part was frog and bear suit and I'll heal you though.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Glad you liked it, Ren.

Yeah, Karou...I remember that 'zine! Used to get my Rayearth fix from that Mixx.

New Jo^2 has Yes song for ending credits? My curiosity is piqued.

Today, I watched Eva 1.11 on teh blu•ray. Looked great; still crushing hard on Misato. Still can't *stand* Shinji's English voices. More whine than a baby w/ skinned knee @ a vineyard.

I think I prefer the distilled into 100 mins version of events, to the OG show.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
cool!pretty sure I saw manga(?) of that fifteen years ago in some compilation maybe called mixxzine(?). seemed gritty. I guess I should know what typical shonen means before commenting? is there a way to get dvds(I'm old fashioned)? will there be?

oh well!
got season six one piece dvds where they are fighting zombies. watched a disc and a half so far...not sure how I should meter watching the rest as the next one won't be available until Janenwary.
queens blade rebellion which is much worse than the first one on So many fronts, overall polish look, seeming like something beside ''fanservice'',et others that my feeble brain and English power doesn't know what to call or how to word to explain floontly(?). I would not recomend it. fav part was frog and bear suit and I'll heal you though.

Its still airing so no DVDs yet. I think the 10th episode goes live either today or tomorrow.

I don't know if I'd call it gritty but its definitely violent. Lot of decapitation and impaling going on. Also yeah I shouldn't have said shonen. Thats a pretty big term. I basically meant the type of show where the underdog or joe everybody (often coming of age story) gets a hold of some kind of power that changes their lives and launches into some typically supernatural situations.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I just finished "From the New World" on blu. Definitely solid storytelling here and it flirted with greatness a couple of times, but the story was a little too dark and too interested in making a point. Essentially it's an exercise in dystopian world-building that asks the question of how a real-world society could function if you had kids with magic abilities being schooled in a Harry Potter-like setting and comes up with crazy answers on how much the world would have to be ruined to accommodate them. There's a single episode near the middle that introduces yaoi/yuri elements, but thankfully the show doesn't go anywhere with them and sticks to magic-related drama/violence for the long run.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Parasyte -the maxim- on Crunchy Roll.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/parasyte-the-maxim-

Its only got 9 episodes out so far as its still airing but damn is it sucking me in. Its the typical shonen where the young sheepish student gets some kind of special power and he ends up getting pulled into some other worldly shit but its actually good.

I know that sounds run of the mill and boring but the story really does have a interesting concepts plus the animation is really good. Definitely worth a watch.

Edit: You know the episode of Futurama where Fry got worms. Its kind of like a whole show about that.

Parasyte is great. I remember reading the manga in french a long time ago when I was in high school. I am surprised and happy to see it become animated. Though they had to modernize the story. I still find it awesome.

Terra Formars is another manga i didn't expect to see animated. Though I am sad they censored it. You guys should check that one out too.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Hello everyone, I am a new member on this thread :D

I recently watched again Gundam Unicorn. I really enjoyed it, specially the soundtrack <3
Also, one of my nieces was watching Attack on Titans and saw the last 4 episodes with her (already saw it but wanted to see her face at the end of the last episode lol).
Anyways, besides Gundam and Jojo's Bizarre... do you recommend anything (more or less new) to watch? A not so long anime if possible would be great, don't have that much time to watch tv since I am trying to get better at drawing and spend most of my free time on Paint Tool SAI ^^U

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
After playing Dengeki Bunko lately, I found there were a lot of characters I was unfamiliar with so I started watching their shows. I'm currently on Toradora, kinda funny for slice of life stuff, liking it so far. Also trying out Terraformars due to the commments here, just a ffew episodes in, definitely not hooked, but it's not terrible either so I'll keep chipping away at it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Lily C.A.T.

old OVA from like 1987. I watched this when I was a kid and didn't really get it. Now that I'm older I can confirm how retarded it is. I mean, I don't regret watching it, it's a great way to waste 67 minutes, but holy shit it's retarded. I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has already seen it, but it takes inspiration from Alien and The Thing but doesn't manage to be nearly as interesting as either of them. Way, waaaayy too light on gore and titties. lol @ the twist.

thank you carl macek

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'm loving the love that Parasyte has been getting lately here. I loved the manga, but at first wasn't sure about the anime, but they've really gotten into their groove with the series so far.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
excellent stuff. I'm a big fan of all of Satoshi Kon's work. too bad he's no longer with us. :( RIP

Seconded. I still remember the first time I saw an anime movie: it was a double header at an old theater that led with Princess Mononoke, and ended with Perfect Blue. That movie was amazing and deeply disturbing; I bought it on VHS as soon as it came out.

On a side note, really looking forward to Cowboy Bebop on Bluray on the 16th. It's been a long time coming, and the Collector's Edition that Funimation has as an online store exclusive with them looks and sounds amazing. i rarely watch special features and extras, but I'm really looking forward to all the extra material that's gone into this release.

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Hopefully I get some Amazon gift cards so I can get their special edition version of Bebop. I still remember buying the DVD box set at Software ETC. They had one on the top shelf and no other stores or even online had it. I had no idea why they didn't make that many but after Christmas I had some extra money and I went in whole hog and got it. I make sure to watch it through at least once every other year. Such a great series. I like to alternate between Bebop and Outlaw Star. Back when late night Adult Swim anime was king!

Speaking of Cartoon Network anime I'm looking forward to getting the other sets of Gundam now that they got the rights back to it. I've still never seen the last episodes of the original series. I still remember them dropping the show on 9/11 without any announcement, it was just gone and it never came back. Trying to find uploaded episodes online is a pain in the ass because a lot of them where taken down, I just want to binge watch the whole thing from beginning to end.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Seconded. I still remember the first time I saw an anime movie: it was a double header at an old theater that led with Princess Mononoke, and ended with Perfect Blue. That movie was amazing and deeply disturbing; I bought it on VHS as soon as it came out.

Perfect Blue is in my top 5. Such an amazing movie. I saw it in the theater the first time as well. I remember feeling really weird after seeing that movie. It really messes with your mind. I've seen it about 10 times or so, it's a pretty short movie. The only movies I like more are the Evangelion films and Akira.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It's been sold out for more than a week and is already going for $400+ on eBay.

Holy shit! I managed to snag the Funimation exclusive...actually I didn't know about the Amazon exclusive, but it looks like 2500 pcs. vs. 10 000 pcs.. I seriously would have bought both had I known about the Amazon version as well :(

Yes, I am that big of a Bebop fan. That show was actually what inspired me to get into the animation field to begin with.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Watched the Wind Rises and loved it. The other movie I was talking about in my previous post is called Only Yesterday, loved it too. I'm gonna be honest and say that I don't find anime all that appealing lately, aside from a few titles everything seems so bleh, I dunno how to put it, so much anime on Netflix and Hulu PLus to watch and yet not a whole lot of it captures my attention at all. I've skimmed over some of the member's choices and so far no cigar.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Holy shit! I managed to snag the Funimation exclusive...actually I didn't know about the Amazon exclusive, but it looks like 2500 pcs. vs. 10 000 pcs.. I seriously would have bought both had I known about the Amazon version as well :(

Yes, I am that big of a Bebop fan. That show was actually what inspired me to get into the animation field to begin with.

I'm in the opposite boat. I didn't know about Funimation exclusive and it looked pretty cool too.

Cowboy Bebop Complete Series - FUNimation Exclusive
- Exclusive tri-fold packaging in the style of a vintage record cover
- Display easel
- Four exclusive art cards
- One additional exclusive art card with foil-stamp autograph from series director Shinichiro Watanabe

Attachments

• CowboyBebopStacy.jpg
    CowboyBebopStacy.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
cool way to repackage the same shit we've watched hundreds of times now for the past 13 years