Walking Simulator 2: BRISK WALKING

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I really am not sold on characters in games being real people, the obsession with norman reedus is baffling to me. I dunno who the rest of these people are, am I supposed to care?
Oh we have another ninja to save the day! lol

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Say what you will... Kojima's rarely boring. At least he gets to make something weird and interesting instead of just another open-world action game with RPG elements starring unattractive female protagonist design #3.

Doesn't mean I want to play this self-indulgent nonsense but at least there's an authorial stamp and a spark of weirdness in everything he makes.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I've had a copy of the first one for a while, but I've yet to play it. Got it dirt cheap on some sale so I said fuck it and went for it.

Kojima is one of those game-makers whose games interest me from the outside, but actually playing them I find out they're often not my thing. I do both respect and appreciate his sense of style in his work as it is at the very least incredibly distinct in an interesting way.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
He’s so far up his own ass, I don’t know how anybody can take anything he does seriously.

Metal Gear Solid was the last good game he made. I read some dong on here talking about how brilliant MGS2 was and how people just don’t *get* it. I hate to be negative, but give me a fuckin’ break. My guy is literally the M. Night Shyamalan of games.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Either way, considering Kojima’s lasting popularity and influence, I’m still shocked Konami hasn’t just simply ported Snatcher to the switch. It was present on the japanese PC Engine Mini so there shouldn’t be any hold up for at least a japanese domestic port/re-release.

The english translation from the sega cd release exists if they want a wider release and the presence of the joycons could allow for at least the option of the light-gun segments.

They could even give it the Valis Collection treatment and include the other console versions along with SD Snatcher and Goichi Suda’s “Sdatcher” for good measure. LRG or some other limited release company would make a killing.
IMG_1307.jpeg

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Say what you will...

Yeah I can acquiesce to that, sure. But after Metal Gear Solid I just haven't been able to enjoy any of his weird ass games.

I tried with Stranding and up until I noped out I kept asking myself "did kojima even attempt to play this shit?"

I think the guys just surrounded by yes-men like Lucas was throughout the 90s/00s. People are afraid to tell him "this shit is just stupid."

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
For like 99% of games, we don't know much about the director or the individuals who made the game. Who do we know off the top of our heads? Kojima, Miyamoto (and when is the last time he was the director of a game, isn't he just like face of Nintendo now?), uhhh the Dead or Alive guy...

Kojima is a larger-than-life guy. He's been in the industry for over 36 years. When I got older I looked at him more as a guy who couldn't break into the movie industry so he used video games as that outlet instead. The last game I played by him was Snake Eater (wow, coming up 20 years) which didn't capture my attention at all unlike the first MGS1 and 2. But I can appreciate and respect what he does.

Funny enough, for no particular reason, I looked up some old articles about MGSV and I read some bullshit 'controversy' about a female character called Quiet. Lots of bullshit articles like, "MGSV has a problematic character" because a video game character shows boobies. All I can say is mao bless the Japanese and I hope they keep doing what they've been doing. I understand now why Taiso blew up after Dragon's Crown.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah I can acquiesce to that, sure. But after Metal Gear Solid I just haven't been able to enjoy any of his weird ass games.

I tried with Stranding and up until I noped out I kept asking myself "did kojima even attempt to play this shit?"

I think the guys just surrounded by yes-men like Lucas was throughout the 90s/00s. People are afraid to tell him "this shit is just stupid."

100%. Fucking loved MGS1 because it was reined in just enough to be kinda weird without being stupid. Then played all the way through MGS2 once in two sittings and pretty much noped out of the series. The mechanics were interesting but everything else was just weapons-grade retarded in a way that was too self-serious. Honestly, it was like a weird game of telephone where someone who doesn't speak English watched a lot of 80s action movies and misunderstood the stories and themes because of a bad translation and then tried to regurgitate those stories through the medium of video games.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Honestly there's very little difference between the plots of the later MGS games and something like Tekken or DOA. It's all nonsense with super soldiers, robots, ninjas, covert organizations all that bullshit that was coming out of Japan in the late 90s and early 00s. I can't take it seriously and don't think anybody should but I can still enjoy quite a bit of it. That's not to say it's completely devoid of any substance but it's pretty silly to do deep dives and all that.

As said earlier guys like Kojima are important wether you like what he makes or not. The game industry is boring as fuck and few people have the juice to get stuff like this made. I kind of put him in the same category as someone like Tarantino, in multiple ways.

I find this a hell of a lot more interesting than yet another Soulsborne clone, Suicide Squad or The Finals or what have you.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Either way, considering Kojima’s lasting popularity and influence, I’m still shocked Konami hasn’t just simply ported Snatcher to the switch. It was present on the japanese PC Engine Mini so there shouldn’t be any hold up for at least a japanese domestic port/re-release.

The english translation from the sega cd release exists if they want a wider release and the presence of the joycons could allow for at least the option of the light-gun segments.

They could even give it the Valis Collection treatment and include the other console versions along with SD Snatcher and Goichi Suda’s “Sdatcher” for good measure. LRG or some other limited release company would make a killing.
View attachment 71587
Gillian sexually harassing every female he comes across wouldn't fly in the west today, same reason we will never get an official Policenauts translation.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I just played through MGS1,2 and 3 on the new release and what the hell, the first one was good like I hazily remember it being (shit been more than 20 years for me) and the tanker chapter in MGS2 was quite good I thought but then everything after that went to weird as hell shit. MGS3 especially, fuck I remember that game blew my mind back when I saw it in a magazine in 2003 and the game doubly so on release. But playing through it now man its just a complete load of shit. The environs were good and all but the story was just rubbish.

I feel like Death Stranding is the same kind of game, its just that when they went to turn up the retard dial on the story they slipped and it went all the way and broke off.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I felt asleep during the credits of MGS4 which was probably the point where I stopped caring. But MGS4 was the main reason to get a PS3 back then for me.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I just played through MGS1,2 and 3 on the new release and what the hell, the first one was good like I hazily remember it being (shit been more than 20 years for me) and the tanker chapter in MGS2 was quite good I thought but then everything after that went to weird as hell shit. MGS3 especially, fuck I remember that game blew my mind back when I saw it in a magazine in 2003 and the game doubly so on release. But playing through it now man its just a complete load of shit. The environs were good and all but the story was just rubbish.

I feel like Death Stranding is the same kind of game, its just that when they went to turn up the retard dial on the story they slipped and it went all the way and broke off.
I played through evey mainline MGS game and still don't fully understand whats going on. MGS4 was the reason why I got a PS3 back in the day and I played through it using only the tranq gun, I which is funny because of all the weapons you can find it in.

But anyway, I'd rather play more kojima mindfuckery with extra chesse than the majority of triple A games released today. Guitar not-cyborg ninja is peak kojima.
Kojima is also a huge pervert, but thats alright, we need more unapologetic videogame perversion in this dystopian post-ESG Sweet Baby Inc. world today.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I railed against the first stranding game but I bought it and finished it and I'll do the same with 2. It's true though, the industry is boring as fuck today and really this is probably one of those titles where I go yeah alright you can have my time.
Can't say that for 99.9% of titles today.