US KOF: MI missing hats and other problems

firebomber

Astra Superstar
People are over reacting to the voices. Would I have liked to have the Japanese in as well? You bet. But the english ones really aren't that bad except for a couple (yuri, athena). It doesn't effect the gameplay or the overall experience. This is a really fun game with fresh KOF gameplay, english voices or not.

mvsplayer

Cheng's Errand Boy
only in our beloved forum;
could there be bitching and moaning about something absolutly acute to life its self, and also there be a intellgent conversation about the correct punctuation of the jp. launguage,
in the exact same post at the exact same time none the less! :buttrock:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
firebomber said:
People are over reacting to the voices. Would I have liked to have the Japanese in as well? You bet. But the english ones really aren't that bad except for a couple (yuri, athena). It doesn't effect the gameplay or the overall experience. This is a really fun game with fresh KOF gameplay, english voices or not.

Conquering Crouch! :buttrock:

~teh lol

Visuatrox

NEST Puppet
Spike23 said:
here we go yet AGAIN. non-stop bitch and moan over a videogame.

you bitch because it's in Japanese and you can't understand a fucking word that's written or being said.

you bitch because it's in English, but the voices are shitty.

it never ends. :rolleyes:

That is why god invented subtitles, so that we don't have to hear shitty voice acting.. And I don't care about understanding some corny fighting screams, it is the attitude that counts. Also I do understand a few words of japanese, and that is mainly because I have been watching so many asian movies and anime with subtitles :)

The more press saying that they are bad and cause kids do do bad things the more FREE promotion,

Exactly, if the next KOF game was like bust-a-move with boobs, I bet it would be an instant hit.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
mvsplayer said:
only in our beloved forum;
could there be bitching and moaning about something absolutly acute to life its self, and also there be a intellgent conversation about the correct punctuation of the jp. launguage,
in the exact same post at the exact same time none the less! :buttrock:
Neo-Geo.com for ya. :cool:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Maybe it's just me, but I find the "SCEA made me do it" argument kind of ridiculous. I haven't seen anyone mention this example yet, but... CVS2. Not only is Ryu allowed to say "Shoryuken!" instead of "Uppercut!", but all of the SNK characters have their original Japanese voices. So let me get this straight... Capcom is allowed to make games where SNK characters have the correct voices, but SNK is not? :rolleyes:

Visuatrox

NEST Puppet
^^

Well who knows, SCEA is pretty famous for making stupid rules and decisions. Just look at their own published games, for example Siren, it has one of the worst dubs ever in a videogame, and unfortunately lacks language option..

Although I blame SNK for this mess, because I'm sure SCEA did not forbid them to include Japanese voices as an option.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
The stupidity of this is almost Bush worthy. How can you possibly mess up this release? Hell, half these damn fans thought this game was gonna be good, but its just a mediocre KOF with a engine thats real loose. That sale deceit should have been enough to get just a little coin.

Oh well, just expect this with everything that hits the US.
You gotta realize, in JP its still 1993/1994.

Whatever, its not NGBC. Those dissapointments are to come later.

Geese, Mr Big. I bet they wont have Krauser, but I have my fingers crossed.

I almost feel targeted, haha

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
neojedi said:
Maybe it's just me, but I find the "SCEA made me do it" argument kind of ridiculous.
SCEA also made Namco do it with Soul Calibur 2. If Sony can make Namco do it, they can make anyone do it. Of course, Namco included the original voices as well.

I don't like the new voices because...they aren't the original voices. But, for example, if Playmore got a Japanese guy to do Terry's voice, other than Satoshi Hashimoto, I wouldn't like that either. I doubt I'd care for it any more than I do this english voice.

The only thing wrong with the new voices is that they aren't the real voices. On their own, they aren't bad, and I don't think someone who hadn't played KOF would have a problem with them. And, it's kind of funny to hear literal translations of things like Kyo's "kore demo kurae", or Iori's "doshita?" The english voice acting isn't any worse than seen in any dubbed anime or whatever.

SNK USA put out a censored version of KOF '00/'01 for PS2 and people (mostly us) raised a high holy stink about it. Now we get a SVC that's uncensored even in English, which required them to actually change something from the MVS version. Progress. If we let them know we'd have liked an option for the original Japanese voices, I'm pretty sure we'll get it in the sequel.

In the meantime, enjoy this game. It's great. The voices don't even come close to ruining it.

Crovax

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
SouthtownKid said:
SCEA also made Namco do it with Soul Calibur 2. If Sony can make Namco do it, they can make anyone do it. Of course, Namco included the original voices as well.

Proof??

The original arcade version had english voice acting, and I'm positive that both the GC and X-box versions did as well. I hate SCEA's boneheaded decisions as much as the next guy, but I think that trying to pin this issue on them is uncalled for. Face it, this is probably completely SNK's fault. Just like the constant censoring that SNK has been doing to the US version of titles, this just reflects how little they understand the US market.

greyimp

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
SouthtownKid said:
Also, I got a hat, and I didn't even pre-order at the EB where I got it.
While I'm both angry and jealous about that, I'm glad to see that SOMEBODY didn't get screwed. :D

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Crovax said:
What do you mean, "Proof??"? If you play SC2 at home there is an option for english voices or original. What does that tell you? If you mean, do I have undercover video footage of them recording the new dialogue, then no, I guess I don't.

Crovax said:
I hate SCEA's boneheaded decisions as much as the next guy, but I think that trying to pin this issue on them is uncalled for. Face it, this is probably completely SNK's fault. Just like the constant censoring that SNK has been doing to the US version of titles, this just reflects how little they understand the US market.
The new voices in Max Impact were handled by SNK USA, not Playmore. I'm sure they would have just as soon not spent the money on it, but they said that it was something SCEA required them to do if they were going to release it. If you check some of the other recent threads here and in General, you can see Kdash31987's e-mail correspondance with Herman going more in depth with this stuff.

Keep in mind, I was probably the biggest Ben Herman basher on these forums, but his recent efforts in bringing us uncensored games, and a collectors edition of this with DVD and hat(!), make me think they have seen the light and are on the right trail.

Like everyone else, I just don't see why the original voices weren't included as well, but I am becoming of the opinion that people are overreacting to it. The good FAR outweighs the bad on this release.

@greyimp: You can probably still get a hat at EB. I got mine only last night. I was getting the game and asked if I got the hat with it. One guy said you only get it if you pre-ordered the game. Then another clerk said, "yeah, but nobody pre-ordered it here." (good luck for me, but kind of sad at the same time) So apparently, each store got a supply of them whether there were pre-orders or not. I'm going to Gamestop today to get the money I put down on a hat-less pre-order there. As of last night, they still hadn't received the game itself, so f them.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
The stupidity of this is almost Bush worthy. How can you possibly mess up this release? Hell, half these damn fans thought this game was gonna be good, but its just a mediocre KOF with a engine thats real loose. That sale deceit should have been enough to get just a little coin.
Have you played the game yet man? Don't sell it short, it really is a fun KOF.

Spike23

Ninja Combat Warrior
SnairDogg said:
You're just not 'getting it'. And if you're tired of everyone's bitching and moaning you could just pack up and retire yourself from these forums.

what the fuck am i not getting? i've sat here and read numerous threads on games (Samurai Shodown V mostly) in which quite a number of people bitched about the game being in Japanese with no English translation.

now a new game from another beloved SNK series drops in and the bitching resumes.......this time it's about the shitty English voice acting. be happy you got the fucking English to begin with, that's all i'm saying. at least you can figure out what the hell is going on.

1) i'm as tired of everyone's bitching and moaning about language options as you seem to be of my posts. we're all entitled to our OPINIONS.

2) pack up and retire? that's laughable. i enjoy posting here and contrary to what you may believe, i don't hate everyone here. i simply feel the need to point out some silly things that people seem to argue about or get pissed at. the same could be said of you......if you don't like my posts, pack it up.

and last but not least, does it really fucking matter what's being said in a game of this nature? it's a fighting game, enjoy the fight, not the dialogue.

greyimp

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
SouthtownKid said:
@greyimp: You can probably still get a hat at EB. I got mine only last night. I was getting the game and asked if I got the hat with it. One guy said you only get it if you pre-ordered the game. Then another clerk said, "yeah, but nobody pre-ordered it here." (good luck for me, but kind of sad at the same time) So apparently, each store got a supply of them whether there were pre-orders or not. I'm going to Gamestop today to get the money I put down on a hat-less pre-order there. As of last night, they still hadn't received the game itself, so f them.
I pre-ordered from Gamestop and picked it up Wednesday night.
And I was the ONLY one who pre-ordered...so, I guess the only way for me to get the hat is to buy it again from EB...this sucks...
Thanks for replying, though. :D

Crovax

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
SouthtownKid said:
What do you mean, "Proof??"? If you play SC2 at home there is an option for english voices or original. What does that tell you? If you mean, do I have undercover video footage of them recording the new dialogue, then no, I guess I don't.

What I mean, is that the english voices were present for the ARCADE version of Soul Calibur 2. Presumably SCEA would only have had a hand in the PS2 release. ergo, I take that to mean that they had NOTHING to do with "forcing" Namco to record english voices.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Spike23 said:
what the fuck am i not getting? i've sat here and read numerous threads on games (Samurai Shodown V mostly) in which quite a number of people bitched about the game being in Japanese with no English translation.

now a new game from another beloved SNK series drops in and the bitching resumes.......this time it's about the shitty English voice acting. be happy you got the fucking English to begin with, that's all i'm saying. at least you can figure out what the hell is going on.

1) i'm as tired of everyone's bitching and moaning about language options as you seem to be of my posts. we're all entitled to our OPINIONS.

2) pack up and retire? that's laughable. i enjoy posting here and contrary to what you may believe, i don't hate everyone here. i simply feel the need to point out some silly things that people seem to argue about or get pissed at. the same could be said of you......if you don't like my posts, pack it up.

and last but not least, does it really fucking matter what's being said in a game of this nature? it's a fighting game, enjoy the fight, not the dialogue.
I don't care what you post, I just think your attitude is a hostile one. Maybe I shouldn't have got all on your case though, sorry. (I honestly didn't think I'd push ya to the point of leaving the forums, I was just being a jerk)

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I pre-ordered my KOF: MI online from gamestop ASSuming I'd be safe with getting the whole pre-order bundle. well not only did they send it in the lamest padded envelope I've ever seen but they didn't send the cap :blow_top:

now I've e-mailed them and I'm waiting for their response and it had better be good
lesson of this story: don't pre-order @ gamestop

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Crovax said:
What I mean, is that the english voices were present for the ARCADE version of Soul Calibur 2. Presumably SCEA would only have had a hand in the PS2 release. ergo, I take that to mean that they had NOTHING to do with "forcing" Namco to record english voices.
Good point. I don't know...I don't remember the english voices in the arcade, but it's been so long now I'll take your word for it. I guess there's a chance Namco recorded the voices knowing they'd need them for the PS2 release, since they release everything on it and would know the restrictions...but that sounds kind of unlikely when I see it typed out.

All I know is that the english voices didn't end up bothering me nearly as much as I expected. I didn't think Terry's voice, for example, was any worse than the voice used in the english dubs of the movies (for however little that's worth -- I hated the english cartoon voices). Most of the voices in the game are similar enough in tone that after a while, you don't notice them while playing.

Spike23

Ninja Combat Warrior
SnairDogg said:
I don't care what you post, I just think your attitude is a hostile one. Maybe I shouldn't have got all on your case though, sorry. (I honestly didn't think I'd push ya to the point of leaving the forums, I was just being a jerk)

thanks, though i don't think my attitude is "hostile" all the time.......sometimes, yeah. it's just me. sorry if it offends anyone.

you weren't being a jerk, just stating your opinions. it's cool.....and i'm not leaving anytime soon.

Skyrender

n00b
This is my first post here, so I may as well make it count. :)

Hi everyone.

I feel quite a bit of sympathy towards the people bothered by the lack of japanese voices in this release. My first KOF was an import of '97 on the Saturn, and one of my favorite subtleties of the series, was the distinct voices used for each of the characters.

Although I can understand why US voices were added to KOF:MI, I really can't say I'm too excited about the lack of those familiar japanese voices. I mean, why don't we even get the option? That's just laziness, folks.

Is it enough to make me skip out on the game?
Absolutely not!

But will I wait until I can get it for $20 or less?
Absolutely!

And that's my take on it. I find it disheartening that we're being fed another edit, while games like Mortal Kombat: DA are released with full gore in tact. It's true what was said earlier, SNK does not understand this market. Things like this will only alienate the fans who've heald on this long. I think we can all agree that this isn't something our beloved SNK needs.

I want to see SNK rise from the ashes just as much as anyone else, but I'd like them to do it in a way that no longer requires that I import their games in order to get the full experience.

While I agree that getting angry over the voices is silly, I will disagree with anyone who feels that isn't a good reason to skip out on buying the game. Folks, we all have our own unique taste. And that japanese flavor is something many of us really, really dig. If you take that flavor away, people that are really into it will quickly lose interest. That's not a matter of anyone being picky or whiney, that's just a matter of personal preference.

I know you can argue the point of gameplay, but that's why I'm willing to wait until I can get the game for cheap. I've been playing KOF for 7 years. If I'm going to shell out $50, you better believe I want the full experience. I don't think that's being unreasonable at all. :oh_no:

I really want that hat though. :) Well, eBay it is!

Last edited:

KDash31987

Overtop Pathfinder
For the people who bought the game at GameStop and did not get a hat

Sent : Friday, October 15, 2004 4:09 PM
To : "'Josue Morales'"
Subject : RE: When will the Terry Bogard hats be available at GameStop?

They own hats at their warehouse. Should be in stores by Monday if not
sooner. Call your local store.
www.snkneogeousaconsumer.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Josue Morales [mailto:kyokusanagi31987@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 3:13 PM
To: info@snkneogeousaconsumer.com
Subject: When will the Terry Bogard hats be available at GameStop?

Hello again;

When will the Terry Bogard hats be available at GameStop?

Thank you for your time;

Josue Alexander Morales (A.K.A. KDash31987 in your gamers community.)
Miami, FL.
October 15th, 2004.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Skyrender said:
But will I wait until I can get it for $20 or less?
Absolutely!
I hope you can find the Collectors Edition with the DVD at that time.

I would have agreed with you completely about about the Japanese flavor and skipping and whatnot, but I ended up buying it anyway... and MUCH to my surprise, I'm pretty much okay with it. I'd recommend renting it, and seeing how much or little the voices bother you after a couple days, rather than assuming it ruins the whole experience.

Not having the real voices is a minus, but not nearly as crushing as I was expecting. On the other hand, if they don't have the real voices next time, I'm going to be pissed as hell.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the boards.

Skyrender

n00b
SouthtownKid said:
I hope you can find the Collectors Edition with the DVD at that time.

I would have agreed with you completely about about the Japanese flavor and skipping and whatnot, but I ended up buying it anyway... and MUCH to my surprise, I'm pretty much okay with it. I'd recommend renting it, and seeing how much or little the voices bother you after a couple days, rather than assuming it ruins the whole experience.

Not having the real voices is a minus, but not nearly as crushing as I was expecting. On the other hand, if they don't have the real voices next time, I'm going to be pissed as hell.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the boards.

Thanks for the warm welcome! You're very right, renting it would certainly be a wise decision. It's true that I can't truly discount it without actually experiencing it first hand.

I think I'll do just that.