*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

Benharper

n00b
I wanted to buy this game to Benharper for 200 Euro .(you can ask Bahamut) . Hp told me that Benharper wanted to sell this game . I promise you : if Benharper agree to sell me it , I will make it available for everyone .
Fred .

You're on a forum in France Chaman ?
And Bahamut me has proposed that 60€, no more...

chamane

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
You're on a forum in France Chaman ?
And Bahamut me has proposed that 60€, no more...

j'ai eu Bahamut au tel aujourd'hui et il a pas compris ce que je lui ai dis . Donc , moi je te le dis (lolo te le confirmera) : 200 E si t'es OK .:)
Et oui c moi chamane (kizunos pr les intimes )

Last edited:

Benharper

n00b
Le jeux à été vendu à la premier personne qui m'a contacté. Mais il vous aurez les fichiers ROM les Gars...

The games were sold in the first person who contacted me. But you have the ROM files Guys, promised ...

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Shit, €200?

I'd sell it.

Fred, thanks for dumping it should you end up with it.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
So Bang Bang Busters, Treasure of the Caribbean......possible this for shits and giggles, what's next?

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
that's great, so where's the beef?

Hi guys, I up the topic because I have in my possesion this game and I wonder is it exactly?

I i could find no answer by then I come here to see if you can help me.
At the Home screen, I'm super brand volleyball '94 in Japanese, as mentioned in the beginning of post.
sv94_1.jpg

We also see great volleyball '94 marked on the carton of the kit. So I wonder what games qul is exactly?
- A boot?
- This famous prototype?
- Something else?

This game has you value it? you it is listed on the price level?

thank you, and dsl if my English is bad ...:)

hey, no problem with regards to your english. we thank you very much for posting this and bringing this to our attention. but can i please ask you something?

is it possible for you to post a picture of the games title screen on YOUR television or monitor? i mean, you provided 10 pictures of your item itself, and 1 picture of the title screen which xacrow did more then 7 years ago. so none of those 11 pictures really shows us that you really have this earlier beta version of the game. so again, is it possible that you can provide us with a title screen picture? just asking. thanks.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
The one thing that anyone seems to overlook here, is the official JPN-MVS box label sports 'super volley '94' as the JPN title, and 'power spikes II' as the ENG title. The label it's printed, not sketched or whatever proto-like. That's commercial material, not proto stuff.

What we have to assume is thus game just had a first (maybe test) production run with different titles for the JPN and ENG regions, as the majority of NeoGeo games. Then again, they decided to stick with the same title for both regions, typically switching a rom chip prior to the final mass distribution of the game. :)

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Picture Please?

The one thing that anyone seems to overlook here, is the official JPN-MVS box label sports 'super volley '94' as the JPN title, and 'power spikes II' as the ENG title. The label it's printed, not sketched or whatever proto-like. That's commercial material, not proto stuff.

What we have to assume is thus game just had a first (maybe test) production run with different titles for the JPN and ENG regions, as the majority of NeoGeo games. Then again, they decided to stick with the same title for both regions, typically switching a rom chip prior to the final mass distribution of the game. :)

Yes, I agree 100% with what you say. It makes perfect sense actually and that is most likely what we have here.

But, again, where's the proof? Can we see a picture of this guy smiling in front of his television with the special title screen on the tv in the picture? DAYS have past and nothing? The thread was active and talkative for a while and then I ask for ONE picture as proof and it suddenly goes silent? Why? It is nothing complicated, I assure you! Take the damn picture already!

It is not that I do not believe him, but let's just make sure that this guy is genuine and not some newbee flake wannabee time waster.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if we can "access" the special title screen through a unibios and some hacking with debug functions just like we are able to do so with the Kizuna Encounter tag version title screen.

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Yes, I agree 100% with what you say. It makes perfect sense actually and that is most likely what we have here.

But, again, where's the proof? Can we see a picture of this guy smiling in front of his television with the special title screen on the tv in the picture? DAYS have past and nothing? The thread was active and talkative for a while and then I ask for ONE picture as proof and it suddenly goes silent? Why? It is nothing complicated, I assure you! Take the damn picture already!

It is not that I do not believe him, but let's just make sure that this guy is genuine and not some newbee flake wannabee time waster.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if we can "access" the special title screen through a unibios and some hacking with debug functions just like we are able to do so with the Kizuna Encounter tag version title screen.

Heh, just after posting my own post I swear I thought exactly the same you added with that EDIT of yours. :-)

When these kind of things occur, they usually just update the P-rom on the boards, not the gfx chip. They just forced the same title display for all region, and I'm pretty sure the gfx for the old JPN logo are still on ant Power Spikes II cart out there. ;)

BTW:

Dunk Star mention from Gamest issue #58 (June 1991)
[courtesy of Gemant]

image.jpg

Last edited:

sylphia

Kuroko's Training Dummy
As far as I know, the cart has been sold elsewhere, hence the lack of update to this topic. I haven't played my copy of the cart in years but I can provide a picture of the title screen in a few weeks if that is anything needed.
It is for sure different to the common Power Spikes II version. On the other hand, I do not remember differences in the attract mode :conf:

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I would also like to emphasize the fact that the prequel for Power Spikes II is Power Spikes in the ENG territories only, while in Japan it's Super Volley '91 (sequel to the original Super Volley), also ported to the Super Famicom as Super Volley II (Hyper V-Ball in the West).

Why Video System ultimately distributed the game as Power Spikes II in Japan as well is the real mystery, for Japan supposedly never saw a Power Spike release to begin with.

Last edited:

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Yes, we would like to see it...

As far as I know, the cart has been sold elsewhere, hence the lack of update to this topic. I haven't played my copy of the cart in years but I can provide a picture of the title screen in a few weeks if that is anything needed.
It is for sure different to the common Power Spikes II version. On the other hand, I do not remember differences in the attract mode :conf:

Hello it's me that i have buy the MVS of Super Volley '94.

I have posted some pictures for you can see the title of the game.

The intro of the game is different to Power Spikes II.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Are you going to dump the roms and share with the community?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Thanks!

This will be one more small piece of the Neo puzzle preserved!

Jeff

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Ok, in the meanwhile, let's try to do some exercise:

first of all, a useful thread about JPN MVS labels:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?206106-Jap-MVS-Box-Labels-in-deep

Please note the *foreign* Fighter History Dynamite kit, with *Japanese* title on BOTH the sides of the ~square~ label.
Please note that such japanese -style label is above a first one, which clearly shows *Karnow's revenge* on the white side (following the usual rule).

fhd_label.jpg

fhd_label2.jpg

DEM-003_fhd.jpg

My idea is, the label underneath is a Japanese one, and the above is , as often happened, a relabeling for export use (like ASOII/Alpha mIssion 2 AES carts).
Can't say why it kept the JPN title on both ides, even if the original label beneath says they already decided the title for foreign markets….maybe it has to do with the legal issues with Capcom, who knows.

Now, below the pictures of an "export" Power Spikes II kit (AFAIK the only kit available, please correct me):

pspike_label.jpg

pspike_label2.jpg

pspike_foreign_art.jpg

pspike_cart_label.jpg

pspike_cart_detail.jpg

pspike_kit_content.jpg

Another official foreign release (all artworks are indeed in english), but with an uncommon japanese-style label.

Now, back to SuperVolley '94 kit, seems that the flyers are quite the same (not completely, far from Spanish language) and the box label differs, so it could be an early run, but for foreign market.

As seen many times, no pattern can be really read, but I think that SNK used square labels also for foreign markets (1994?), deviating from the usual rule square=JPN, horizontal label= US/EURO, and both games are probably foreign-only releases.

A wild guess: "SuperVolley '94" has been retired from JPN market due to legal issues, explaining why they had to quickly change the title (the code ROM) and keep only foreign versions.

Edit:

for reference, the flyer:

151000501.jpg

151000502.jpg

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
As someone who works in the field of release management and automation, I'd like to stress that most companies today do not have a formal and documented release process. They, for lack of a better term, usually wing it. That's during a time when the understanding of the importance of properly tracking releases, and your IPs is even more important than ever. So.... As interesting as it is to try and draw conclusions for some sort of standards in release for the SNK titles, I can say with almost complete assurance that they did not have any sort of formal release standard they used to label Japanese and regional releases. Any correlation would simply mean they either A) got lucky, or B) had the same person doing the releases and that was just his/her method of doing it ;)

In otherwords, don't drive yourselves crazy looking for a release standard that surely isn't there.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member